Moving to Ecuador and bringing my stuff?

My family (my partner and I and two kids) wants to move from Canada to Loja, we do not fly, and we'd obviously like to take our belongings with us (not furniture, etc. of course, but our clothing, electronics, and keepsakes). We own a van, and would like to drive as far as possible. Where should we drive to? Where do we go from there? Do we have to leave and re-enter the country before we apply for a resident Visa, then dual citizenship, or can we just go there, buy land, and stay?

Thanks for any advice you have for this noob! ;)

Are there ferries available from Panama to Columbia maybe? If not, we don't mind ditching the van and taking a regular boat... Don't know how to proceed from there though. Maybe this is a silly request. :P

Hello,

There's a ferry from Panama to Colombia but I don't know if is still working.
The ferry goes from Colon to Cartagena de Indias in 12 hours.
The vessel's name is ‘Nissos Rodos' and the company is Panamerican Seaways, rates goes from $99 to $500.

This is the contact info I found email: [email protected] cell phone: 65872261

Make sure you bring all the necessary docs to get a Resident Visa, Tourist Visa only allows you to stay in Ecuador for 180 days in 1 year.

Vinny

You can't import used vehicle to Ecuador, at all.

You may want to then learn to fly, come down take a look for a few months before you load the van.  A lot of info on this blog is given out by people that don' t have a clue what there talking about, and may not even live in Ecuador. The immigration laws in Ec.  are always in flux and change on a daily basis.  Get someone in immigration who knows the current laws to walk you through. One mistake on your paper work and you get to drive back to Can.

As far as driving,  good luck with that. The Darien gap in Panama has no roads! You may want to check a map? Maybe you can hack a trail through the swamp and jungle. Bring machetes, the kids can lead the charge! Make sure to get your Yellow and Dengue fever shots and pack your quinine, the mosquito's and snakes are thick. If you get to Columbia say hi to the FARK boys, they like house guests. At this point a Spanish dictionary would be helpful.

When you finally get to Ecuador you can live in your new house for $250 a month with a lap pool and a chofer.

t

Compilation of Foreign Motor Vehicle Import Requirements

Ecuador, page 25.

If u not plan to get PR, just travel for a limited time that's ok, but you can't register ur used vehicle if u plan to get PR of Ecuador.

Import Restrictions:
• The Andean Automotive Policy prohibits imports from other countries of used cars, trucks, and buses, as well as new vehicles from previous years. It also bans trade in
these vehicles among the member nations.

Thanks, folks! This has been pretty helpful so far. (Even tmac with his heavy dose of sarcasm and poor spelling. :P )

I'm really interested in whether I can find a ferry or not... I'll have to research this further.

So if I was just travelling, they might let me through the border with a van? Hmmm. Maybe I could travel there, store my stuff, and then sell my van somewhere else.

Hi There,   We had the same idea about getting an RV and driving down from WA state.   We researched it thoroughly for over a year.    First of all, you would have to drive through Mexico.   Even though I love Mexico, I know many people there, and have checked with several families in several places throughout the country, and have been strongly advised NOT to drive through Mexico right now.   It just plain is not safe!   It might be better in a few years, but not safe right now for this type of trip, especially for North American Tourists and Kids.     Second,  We did research a ferry from Panama to Colombia, but found that in order to ferry around with a vehicle, it is quite expensive, and then we were told the Ferry was not working, or running that route any longer.   I am not sure that you can Ferry right now.  We were told no.   The Pan-American Highway, runs the length of Canada, US, Central America and all of South America, but there is a gap (60 miles approximately) in Colombia that there are no highways or roads.   Colombia is getting better, but does still have active FARK and drug problems.   It is still not safe to drive through that area either.   If you do not fly,  I think your best bet would be to find a ship to travel on.   You could go clear from the Pacific coast of Canada to Ecuador via boat.   I am not sure which ships travel that route, but this might be a best option for you.   We are heading back to Ecuador in February, and it is a wonderful place.   

Good Luck on your trip.   PS,  Make sure you have all of your paperwork in order for your visas.
Theresa

Thanks, folks!!

Reality sank in, and we won't drive there. ;)

However, it can be done...the drive that is.  Last year a friend of mine rode his cycle from Southern California, down the Baja crossed over onto the mainland.  In Panama he airfreighted his cycle to Colombia and from there to Quito.  Had absolutely no problems.  The FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) are presently in peace talks with the Govt of Colombia but they still kill each other.  However the FARC would still be a better option than running into a drug gang. And once you get here you still have the van which you can neither nationalize nor sell.

However, this was not my friends first rodeo, and speaks excellent Spanish, well honed survival and mechanical skills.

Why do you want to move to Loja?  Why not visit first and see if this is what you want?  While my wife and I enjoy our life here in Cuenca, not everyone who comes stays.

There are several types of visas.  You can enter Ecuador on a tourist visa good for 90 days.  If you apply for a permanent visa you do not have to extend the tourist visa.  But you will need all the required documents legalized before you come.  Once you have your visas/cedulas etc you can buy land just like an Ecuadorian national.

Another source of up to date information can be found at Ecuador Expats on Facebook.  There are people there who stay up to date on the changes in immigration law.  And there are people who live in Loja who can respond to your questions about Loja.

Good luck,

Mike

Mike

Great info Mike..
I need to ad that people can nationalize and sell their vehicles once their register them in Ecuador. There are fees involved but it is possible.
Also expats dont need a permanent visa nor a cedula in order to buy property or land, in fact permanent Visa is granted  upon submission of a property title worth at least US$ 25.000. Please not Ecuador's currency is also US$. Foreigns can buy with passports.
Regards

Loving Ecuador wrote:

Great info Mike..
I need to ad that people can nationalize and sell their vehicles once their register them in Ecuador. There are fees involved but it is possible.
Also expats dont need a permanent visa nor a cedula in order to buy property or land, in fact permanent Visa is granted  upon submission of a property title worth at least US$ 25.000. Please not Ecuador's currency is also US$. Foreigns can buy with passports.
Regards

I thought there was a time limit on when one could sell a vehicle.  I know that a vehicle imported by a diplomat has a two year limit before it can be sold and another imported.  I think that returning nationals can't sell the car that they import before a set amount of time.

As to buying property...that sounds right.  Can't get an investment visa until one has the property.

Quito0819: Your friend sounds like a really fun guy! My family's Spanish isn't quite up to par, I'm afraid, for that kind of adventure! We're working on it. :P
We want to move to Loja mainly because of the climate. My partner is allergic to snow (yes, really!!), and my disability improves in warm weather. I also like that there aren't any mosquitoes, though I do understand there is some kind of other biting insect... Also, I like the idea of being able to grow my own food year round.

Loving Ecuador: Are you sure about the permanent residency Visa when you buy a $25,000 property? I didn't find that here: internationalliving.com/countries/ecuador/visa Is this page incorrect?

I don't think they'll let my vehicle into Ecuador... it's a '98 Chevy Venture. lol Not exactly new or energy efficient. ;)

I think we'll probably just end up selling/giving away most of our stuff and just bring our clothes, basic electronics, and possibly a few keepsakes. Enough to fit in no more than three duffel bags each.

I'll give up my no flying rule I guess for now, but I sure the heck still won't be stopping in the states!! I find those airport security checks x-ray scan things to be CREEPY.

Heya Erthe, mind if I butt in?  I've got a question about those investor visas.  They were discussed on another Ecuador forum a while ago [think it was yahoo] and there was a LOT of disagreement about them.  Some people said *paying* at least $25,000 for property was required to qualify, but others said the property had to be *valued* at $25,000.  In other words, if you paid $30,000, but it was assessed at $20,000 for tax purposes, you were out of luck and couldn't get an investor's visa.  Anyone know for sure?

I have read in more than one place that the property has to have an assessed tax value of at least $25,000 USD.  The other option is to place the cash in a govt approved bank.  The latest I have read is 25,000 USD for one and 500 USD for each dependent.

I have been told by Ecuadorians that they prefer land as banks fail and depositors have taken hits in the past.  Land is always there.  I think this is so ingrained that renters are not seen in the most favorable light.

If one chooses to buy land/house then a real estate attorney must be employed. Otherwise, do a Mother Theresa and give what you have to the poor. At the least you can feel good about having nothing to show for the money.

Mike

I read directly from the Ecuadorian Gov official website. Maybe International Living wants people to buy properties for much more than US$ 25.000? if that minimum visa requirement wasnt specified in the publication then it is not accurate.
My own investor Visa was granted by a US$ 25.000 assessed value. As long as that amount is written in the "escritura" (property title) and the City Hall registration, you are good to get a permanent residency investor Visa. Dependents are US$ 100 each.
Same think applies for US$ 25.000 deposited into a CD, but you cant touch that money as long as you want to hold Permanent Residency in Ecuador, same with the property, if you sell the property linked to your Visa then you have to apply for another Visa. If you sell the property and by another one you will need to apply for another permanent investor visa now linked to the new property title. You may need temporary visas in the meantime to ensure legal permanence in Ecuador.

Importing used vehicle (especially not gas efficient, old ones) is NOT recommendable. You can do it but you will end up paying 3x or more the cost of your car as it is valued in US. I thought you meant a newer van!...my bad. Only hybrids are exempted from taxes and of course returning Ecuadorian migrants (which are pouring in!) are exempted completely from fees and taxes.

Banks failed here in the past, specifically in 1999. That sent million of  Ecuadorians to live abroad. Thats why new anti-corruption laws were implemented this year to ensure that such bank fraud would never happen again. Thats why most wealthy Ecuadorians linked to bank administrators keep whining about the new laws! Now the Federal forces bankers to be transparent and ensure people's funds up to US$ 28.000. You just need to know the law, I am lucky to be bilingual and read the changes as they happen.
If you just own land you will have 3-5 years (will clarify) to either build or produce income of it. Why would you just buy something to generate taxes without doing anything in it? thats silly. However, when it comes to buying property or land I absolutely echo Quito0819's statement. Use a real estate lawyer. Not all but some Ecuadorians may use any loophole to increase prices or follow some questionable procedures.
Please feel free to PM or ask questions anytime on this matters. I aim to help here in the thread those that cant read Spanish and want to avoid lawyer fees. We are all just trying to get on with our lives the best possible way in this new safe haven. Lets help each other.
Kinds regards to everyone :)

Wow, that is very helpful, quito0819 and Loving Ecuador! Thanks so much! I do appreciate it.

So when you say $25,000 plus $100 for each dependant, do you mean that I need to buy land worth $25,300 if I bring my wife and two kids? What if we have another child while in Ecuador? Would we need to re-apply, or...? Since gay marriage isn't recognised there yet, can I still claim my wife as a dependant?

And LeftClique, I do not mind you butting in at all. ;)

Oh no no. Let me help clarify: Investors Visas qualification is one thing. That is either 25K into land, property or CD. Actual Visa granted by said investment is another fee. The visa petition is US$ 30. Once you submit all the papers (certified color copies of: current passport valid for at least another 6 months, 25K minimum property title, registration and taxes paid on said property, criminal records from the countries you lived for the last 5 years, and certificate of entries/exits from Ecuador or "movimiento migratorio"). Everything notarized. Docs in English translated and Apostilled.
If your papers are approved, then they will email you a date to show up to pay US$ 320 for the main Visa holder.
I missed up earlier, saying it was US$ 100 per dependant, I has been helping most retiring expats for whom dependants are US$ 100...but that is another Visa. My apologies. The Investor Visa dependants are US$ 500 each. I didnt have dependants.
Here is the link to the website, have someone translate this for you: http://www.mmrree.gob.ec/servicios/visa9ii_02.asp
For you and the two kids (assuming they are minors), it will be US$ 30 on Visa Petition (which will include the name of the children and their certified color copies of passports and pictures for all three) plus US$ 320 if your papers are approved, and US$ 1000 extra for the two kids at the time you get the Visa stamped. Yours and the children "cedula" (ID) orders will be given to you then for you to issue.
I am sad to tell you, but since Ecuador have not yet approved gay marriage  I am not positive that you can claim her as dependent. I believe there should be another US$25K investment to back up another Investor Visa...that is assuming she is not already retired, right?
I rather refrain from speaking, I admit when I dont know for the sake of others. I dont want to be inaccurate. I can only recommend you a bilingual lawyer via PM if you want.
Hope it helps..

According to my fount of wisdom: http://en.wikipedia.org  Ecuador recognizes civil unions (ie two years of living together) for gays.  The page states: Civil unions for same-sex couples were legalized by the approval of the 2008 Constitution of Ecuador[1][2] including all the rights of marriage except for joint adoption. The first civil union was performed in August 2009.[3][4][5][6][7] Same-sex marriage is constitutionally banned in Ecuador. Article 67 reads "Marriage is the union between man and woman is based on the free consent of the parties and their equal rights, obligations and legal capacity. "[8]

This is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognitio … in_Ecuador

It may be hook to hang your hat on, but you will need an attorney to advise you. It may be that they will recognize your union under Canada's Civil Marriage Act.  Ecuador's law is civil law and has nothing to do with English Common Law, our joint heritage.  So I have no idea what all this means. Which is why I had an attorney when I began the process in late 2010 to change from diplomatic status to retired visa status.

HTH

Mike

Thank you for the extra information!

I'll try to find a lawyer who might know about this stuff. (I'd appreciate any leads on said lawyer if you know anyone... lol)

We're not actually legally married as of yet, but we are common-law which I think might be closer to the civil union, so maybe that would make it easier. I don't know.