Vietnamese leaving Vietnam

Hi all,

I tried looking around for a similar topic like this, but no surprise, I only find the other way around :P
I have a question concerning a Vietnamese friend leaving Vietnam to come on a short stay visa to a country in Europe. All the steps for getting that visa are being covered, invitation letters, guarantees, and all, so leave all that out of the equation, and don't even worry about that being some sort of stumbling block we have to get through. I already know:)

My friend (whom is a family friend, but not actual family) claims that in order to leave Vietnam, I also need to write an invitation letter to the Vietnamese authorities saying that she is invited to Europe, and so forth, all the same papers for my country's visa needs to be handed to them as well, plus $2000 in her bank account.

Is any of this true? Am I misunderstanding, or wcs being played for a gullible person? Or is she misunderstanding something here?
We did a few months ago meet up in Bangkok, so leaving the country is really not an issue either, and neither is visa paper work (or money) on our end.

I hope to get some clarifying answer on this :)
Thank you for your patience

Best regards,
Dave

What your friend is telling you may be true, but the exact details of what needs to be done will vary, depending on which country to which she will be traveling. I'm from the US, so I'm more familiar with the US requirements for getting a visa, which I think are the most stringent of any. And having money in a Vietnam bank account DOES help, so she is not lying about that. The amounts I've heard are much higher than $2000 also, but again, that would depend on the country to be traveled.

European Union has the Schengen Agreement < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement > which basically means that a visa granted by one member is good for all.

The United Kingdom is not a member but Schengen visa holders are often expedited for a UK visa as the 'leg work' has been done.

France might be the best country for you to apply to for a Schengen visa for historical reasons they have warm feelings towards Vietnamese.

As you might appreciate, shortly after the end of the American War in VietNam there was a great deal of uncontrolled immigration from VietNam ('Boat People') and the natural defence of a country is to set up a visa regime.

Of course, for many years VietNam had it's own restrictions (monetary deposit, real estate ownership), but with those swept away (I remember even a 'street child' who bought a VN Passport) it meant that only visa challenges survive.

These days countries realise that Vietnamese are no more of an illegal immigration risk than many other nationalities - witness the number of Foreigners living here.

The main element of a successful visa application is demonstrating you have employment here in VN, have sufficient familial ties here, possibly investments (house) or money.

If your friend's belief was accurate, why are passports issued with minimal formality (delivery accelerated by bribes) and VNese are able to leave the country without exit visas?

VN had all the restrictions in place 15 years ago so it's not as if they don't know what to do.

VNese can travel to Thailand, the nearest international air hub in the area outside VietNam so where are the outbound restrictions?

A VNese taking a Mai Linh Express bus to Cambodia is processed as quickly as a Foreigner at the border and that includes a computer check. Do you think all the VNese females in Phnom Penh have made $2,000 deposits?

The only thing that would stop you would be criminal charges, court orders and national security employment, etc.

I know two VNese females who went to France with no deposit (if you have Skype I can give you a User Name) and one other for whom my brother, a British citizen, at my request, signed a British form guaranteeing he would ensure the person didn't overstay the visa.

Of course, all your questions about exiting VN can be easily answered by a visit to Immigration.

The good news is, that after a completed trip to Europe, i.e. the VNese person returns, subsequent visa applications are a breeze.

Your friend may be confusing EXIT requirements from Vietnam, with ENTRY requirements to another country. As Jaitch says, nowadays, there are very few, if any, exit requirements from VN. If the person wants to leave VN, they can just get a passport and leave. It's no problem. Where do they go? THAT'S the problem. May have to have a visa, and that's where the requirements come into play.

Saigonmonkey,

Do we need visas to go to the moon???  Maybe, I should direct this question to Anatta or Teacher_Mark...

Saigonmonkey: that money, is it for the country you are visiting, or for the Vn authorities?
Cos if it's only for the country you are visiting, I am signing a guarantee form, so that shouldn't be a problem. And it does sound like the requirements are getting mixed up, I just want to make sure before it's too late.
Thanks for your help guys. I think I will just move along with the application, and then I'll see what happens.

Wild_1 wrote:

Saigonmonkey,

Do we need visas to go to the moon???

Hey man, don't make me land in LA next week and handle you...:dumbom: Not in the itinerary.:lol:

Ripfoily:
Having money in the bank shows the country to which you're applying for a visa your INTENT to return to your home country. It is assumed that no one would want to leave their home with a lot of money in the bank if they're never going to return. It's not necessarily a requirement, but it may help. If you're signing some form of document guaranteeing her return, that may be enough. It all depends on the requirements of the country being visited.

yeah, makes more sense. I also got a reply from a vietnam visa expert saying that no permit was needed. So, hopefully, the guarantee will be enough, and when I talked to an information agent from immigration here, that wasn't mentioned, but property and job was, so I think it's all downhill from here. Thanks!

Also, while we're on a similar subject and you've been so helpful. What are the requirements for a Vietnamese to go the US?

ripfoily wrote:

Also, while we're on a similar subject and you've been so helpful. What are the requirements for a Vietnamese to go the US?

You need to go here:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

Good luck. If applying for visa to USA, the applicant most likely WILL be rejected the first time. It's just part of the process.

The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant.

Tough :P
All right, thanks, seems the same as for Norway, but might be more difficult because of this. Anyways, good to know. Thanks again!

Norway is part of the Schengen visa scheme. For the uninitiated, here is an detailed description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_polic … pean_Union

Can't say that there is any hard and fast rule about the requirement. It seems to be much a judgment call from immigration officers.

For sure, you need to show you can sustain yourself while visiting. For that, $2000 is hardly enough for a 3-month visit. Heck, the ticket alone costs more than $1300-1500 to Oslo this time of the year, not counting ticket onward.

In addition, there are factors to consider whether she has any motivation to come back: home, stable job, husband, kid, sustainable wealth. Money is not strong enough proof. You can withdraw all the day after.

Also, the officers are not stupid. They will need to see that she has had the money for some time (a couple of months), not deposited the day before.

Visa process to Schengen/Europe has been tightened the last 15 years. A personal invitation/guarantee is not enough. THey need much more proof now, even toward the sponsor: wealth/job situation of the sponsor, context of the contact,....

The situation is not much different in Thailand

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/542 … to-france/

Visa to the US is considered more stringent from what I heard.

Wild_1 wrote:

Saigonmonkey,

Do we need visas to go to the moon???  Maybe, I should direct this question to Anatta or Teacher_Mark...

Wild1.
For you, there is no need.
http://www.moon.com/destinations/hondur … ldom/visas

You can also go to Hell without a visa as well, since you have an US passport. It is in Northern Norway by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Norway

I know all about Schengen, and we will probably do a trip to Sweden or Denmark. I'll give a more detailed account now that I've had some things cleared up and we're ready to move on.

She is a owner of a bar (with some others with paperwork), she also runs another shop, but she told me that's only temporary to make some extra money the next few months, so I'm sure she doesn't have the paperwork for that. She also owns property and have strong family ties, so I'm confident that these things won't be a problem. I already had a positive conversation with an information agent with the immigration here about that. But, she won't have a say in it, sadly. 

The requirements here are $90 a day, possibly less since she will be staying in our house, but as I'm doing the guarantee I don't think that will be a problem as long as I have coverage in my account.
On that form (and the invitation) I've stated that she will stay with us, and we will pay for her stay and travel expenses. So I guess this means that her bank account or finances are not questioned, only mine (and my wife's, who's the one who initially knew her years back). All I have to do now is to get those papers stamped by the police.

The only stumbling block as I see it will be the context of the contact as you put it and her purpose of visit. It will be just for a months time, see Norway, and see our life here and spend time with us here. And meet up with other friends and family she's met through us. I can't think of any problems, but as I've never done this before I know I'm a bit naive. I'm sure after this process I will look at this differently.

I have one more question. She will need insurance that covers 30,000 euros for her stay. What is better in your opinion? She gets it on her own in Vietnam, or we find something for her here? My credit card gives insurance to the ticket holder when I book a flight, but I don't think that will cover 30,000eur.

Btw, Hell is cold!

Don't know much about the insurance thing, but I suspect she has to do it from here.

There are plenty of good insurance companies here and I suspect it will be cheaper.

Besides, I don't think Norwegian insurance companies will except coverage for anyone with home address outside Norway. That would be highly unusual.

I need to send that Howie guy to sth real hot, not cold. It is ok though. I will arrange to have him locked away in a sauna then have the key thrown away if he ventures over there! :top:

HCM City to house European visa application centre

A new Schengen visa application centre will open in Ho Chi Minh City after the New Year.

The embassies of Italy and Spain in VietNam announced this on December 5 and Italian ambassador to VietNam Lorenzo Angeloni said the move aimed at providing a high level customer service to applicants for their visa process.

The two embassies are collaborating with London-based VFS Global, a worldwide outsourcing and technology services company for diplomatic missions and governments, to set up the centre.

Angeloni said the embassies had signed an agreement for outsourcing Italy and Spain visa processing in Ho Chi Minh City to VFS Global to quicken the visa application process.

Antonio Bretones, head of Spain's commercial office in VietNam, said: “We'd like to make the whole process of applying for a visa to Spain easier for the citizens in Ho Chi Minh City, in order to encourage the exchanges between the two countries.”

The new visa centre, at Resco Tower, 4th floor, 94-96 Nguyen Du, District 1, will start operations January 3. The submission timing is 8:30-12:00 and 13:00-16:00, from Monday to Friday.

Loren Dsouza, VFS Global head for Southeast Asia and Pacific, said his company would be responsible for accepting and processing applications for Schengen visas from applicants residing across VietNam.

Source: VietNamNet Bridge

NOTE: You can apply for a Schengen visa, then travel via France (VN Airlines go there) and activate the visa on arrival. Just tell the people you will be starting in France before heading for Spain, or Italy.

When Vietnamese want to travel abroad (US and Europe), they need a visa (passport) to leave VN, to get this Visa she needs some of kind collateral (own property, business,or money in the bank). In case, she decides not to return to VN or disappear in Europe so is her bank account. I might be wrong :D .
There is another easy way to do it, let the money talk for U. It's never fail in Vietnam, just need to find the right person.

Harry_zz wrote:

When Vietnamese want to travel abroad (US and Europe), they need a visa (passport) to leave VN

Vietnamese do NOT need a visa to LEAVE Vietnam. They may or may not need a visa to ENTER another country.

Harry_zz wrote:

There is another easy way to do it, let the money talk for U. It's never fail in Vietnam, just need to find the right person.

No amount of bribe money in the world can "buy" a visa to a country like USA. Vietnam and Vietnamese officials have NOTHING to do with getting a visa for another country, so bribing them does no good. Therefore, I assume you may be referring to a Vietnamese finding a foreign "friend" and paying them a large sum to vouch for a visa to their country. I don't know about the penalties involved for other countries, but if a US citizen gets caught doing this, the penalties are severe. I have heard of this being done many times over the years. Some got away with it, others did not.

To travel to most countries around the world, a Vietnamese needs an entry visa.  Nowaday, Vietnamese customs don't really care where people are heading.  It is the country of destination that Vietnamese need to worry about.  North America and western Europe have some of the most demanding requirements to Vietnamese travelers.

Saigonmonkey,

I hope you got your visa, man?  Per what you are saying, I cannot help you, bro.  You are on your own...  Maybe one of the 3 Amigos can assist you, although I think only one of them is American?

Wild_1 wrote:

Saigonmonkey,

I hope you got your visa, man?

Yeah... I've got one of those permanent ones. It expires only after I die!

I see you have posted the same question on "Tripadvisor" where I have replied,but I'll put the same information here as well.Vietnamese people do NOT need any sort of documentation to be provided to the Vietnamese authorities in order to leave Vietnam.Nor do they need any money in their bank account.They can apply for a passport,which is relatively cheap,and they don't need a reason for doing so.There is no restriction(From the Vietnamese authorities anyway) on Vietnamese people traveling to any other country in the world.

saigonmonkey wrote:
Wild_1 wrote:

Saigonmonkey,

I hope you got your visa, man?

Yeah... I've got one of those permanent ones. It expires only after I die!

Dude
I am not that sure if I were you.
Just have a look at the regulations,
http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship … p_778.html

"conviction for an act of treason (Sec. 349 (a) (7) INA)."
Heck, just marrying a non-American girl is considered by many American feminists as a serious act of treason, let alone marrying a lithe Chinese one ;).

Saigonmonkey,
Did you get what the Resident of the Moon was saying?  Dude, I suggest you double check your US visa...  Haaa!!!

Hey Oasisbar, What you're saying has already been stated in other words several times in this thread, but apparently is not sinking in with the recipient. Thanks for your reinforcement, and please disregard the Wild_one.:)

A little experience to share regarding the need to carrying money into the country as I am not too sure it's the same with other country.

If a Vietnamese or any nationals want to come to Singapore without a Visa, a valid reason is needed if the custom does a spot check on you. An official invitation from a local organisation, a local friend to guarantee your inbound by waiting for you (or your call) outside the gate or you look rich enough (show them your credit card!) and do not look suspicious then you better have at least SGD2,000 (USD1,500) in your possession during the spot check when entering Singapore.

The reason is that if you are non of the above, then the custom will presume that you are here to work illegally and they can send you back at the airport. It happened many times before, it's common here and it can happen to you for all the wrong reasons. Do take note. Another one of those unwritten? law in Singapore.

Hi Ripfoily, Insurance - she can get a cover here a lot cheaper than getting it from there. It costs little. Liberty is someone we use for overseas travel as we only use overseas insurance when we travel.

oasisbar: that's right, I must have not seen your question, cos everyone was answering the opposite of what I asked so I bailed quickly, while everyone has been most helpful here.

saigonmonkey: has not sinked in? I think I've made it pretty clear that it has.

ashard: Thanks for the tip, I'll ask her to look into Liberty :)

Harry_zz wrote:

When Vietnamese want to travel abroad (US and Europe), they need a visa (passport) to leave VN, to get this Visa she needs some of kind collateral (own property, business,or money in the bank).

I know one VNese who obtained a passport within a month of applying, no bribe. Her hassle was a UK visa which I arranged a guarantor for.

She had no hassles leaving VN. Years ago they required an exit visa which was tied to security deposits, etc.

Wild_1 wrote:

Dude, I suggest you double check your US visa...  Haaa!!!

Dude, you do realize US citizens don't need US visas, right? Or am I missing your possible point of insinuation that I'm actually a citizen of the moon?:dumbom:

Anatta wrote:

"conviction for an act of treason (Sec. 349 (a) (7) INA)."
Heck, just marrying a non-American girl is considered by many American feminists as a serious act of treason, let alone marrying a lithe Chinese one ;).

Naaah... I don't think the American feminists have a problem with it, but the American ex-wife might.;)