Procedure for lost/stolen passports in HCMC

I just like to share the procedure if a foreigner loses his passport or has had it stolen. My parents were robbed at Dong Khoi a few days - lost passports and money. A BIG hassle with the procedures. I've documented the procedures here :

http://www.his3site.com/2012/12/loststo … -hcmc.html

Hope it's useful to those who face the same problems. HCMC is very unsafe nowadays.

Hi Bennett,

I am really sorry to read about your parents' ordeal.  A very unfortunate experience, especially on Dong Khoi, too!

But, it is very composed of you to share it with us.  Thanks, a lot!  I hope that you and your parents will soon be able to put that in the rear view mirror and experience a wonderful Holiday Season.

Sincerely,
Howie

Often lost/stolen passports are "found" and turned in by someone who hopes to collect a reward.

Being slightly hard-hearted, I wonder why they were carrying their passports. Usually photocopies are sufficient for most transactions in VietNam.

Even the VN Government states it it is not necessary for people to carry passports, as they appreciate the chances of loss.

Did your Mother have her handbag over one shoulder or across her chest? Across the chest, with the bag in front, is the most secure way but people have suffered injury when pulled from them in this position.

Had you copies of your original documents, including visa the time at Nguyen Trai would have been shortened, too. The hotel also usually has photocopies.

Money should always be divided between pockets - large in one pocket, smaller (say under VND100,000) in another. Never access the 'big money' pocket in public. Eyes are always watching.

VNese are not usually 'feely-touchy' with strangers and if someone you don't know gets that way, back off and do a 360 turn - hard for a pickpocket to keep his hand in a pocket.

If you pay out bills/notes over VND200,000 make a note of the last 4-digits of the money is case someone tries to switch good money for bad. Or pre-sign all your notes in pencil.

Happens in the best of places, including Singapore.

I agree with Jaitch - I have never understood why so many people insist on carrying their passports with them. Of course it's wise to carry some form of identification. I carry my US and/or VN driver's liscense and leave the passport at home in a safe place. I have never had anyone but the guard at the US Consulate, or the security and immigration authority at the airport ask to see my passport - and that's not just VN, but any country I've ever traveled.

We are coming into a critical time for safekeeping of valuables in the countries which celebrate Chinese New Year (TET here). The bad guys are always looking for easy money in the month or so before the holiday, and everyone here needs to be aware of that. Use common sense, and don't carry anything but what you absolutely need when out on the streets.

All I wanted was to let visitors know the procedure if they lose their passports. It's so easy to pass comments with the benefit of hindsight. There was a good reason for them to carry their passports that day and it was not what you assumed - we're not that dumb. Anyway, thank you for your kind advice which I'm sure readers will appreciate.

saigonmonkey wrote:

Use common sense, and don't carry anything but what you absolutely need when out on the streets.

Remember, both the Cong An and the CGST have been instructed to never carry bills/notes larger than VND50,000 whilst on duty.

So, if you want to contribute to a CGST Happy Tet, keep your money small. If not, VND500,000 should solve the problem.

Bennett,
Sorry to sound like I was attacking you and your parents for carrying passports. My comments were directed at others who may read this - warning them it's not a good idea. But if you need your passport, you need it, for whatever reason.

I used to work with a guy who carried his passport in his backpack to/from work every day. No reason he would ever need it at work, and he was just increasing his chances of losing the passport if his pack was ever lost or stolen from the car.

Sorry again, and thank you for posting the procedure for dealing with lost/stolen passports. I hope I never need it.

Hi Joseph,

No worries. Thank you for your kind explanation - much appreciated. Of course you and Jaitch are right in that everyone needs to take precautions and be careful about their personal travel/identification documents and belongings - esp with Tet just round the corner. And visitors must know that they need not carry their original documents around if it is not necessary. I also pray that you will never need to deal with lost passports - very traumatizing dealing with VN procedures and officials.