ESL job prospects for non-native English speakers & non-Caucasians

I have a Bachelor degree from an Australian university & a TESOL certificate issued by the London Teacher's Training College. By right, these qualifications should be able to land me a job in HCMC.

However, I noticed that most of the language schools who are hiring here show a strong preference for native English speakers (some require even less qualifications than what I have mentioned above).

My question is: What are the ESL job prospects for people like myself, who are non-Caucasians & also classified as non-native English speakers (even though I speak English as my first language in my home country)?

visothsumtw wrote:

I have a Bachelor degree from an Australian university & a TESOL certificate issued by the London Teacher's Training College. By right, these qualifications should be able to land me a job in HCMC.

However, I noticed that most of the language schools who are hiring here show a strong preference for native English speakers (some require even less qualifications than what I have mentioned above).

My question is: What are the ESL job prospects for people like myself, who are non-Caucasians & also classified as non-native English speakers (even though I speak English as my first language in my home country)?

Many English learners in English centers don't finish high school  yet. Most of those prefer Caucasian teachers to non-Caucasian ones. Its the learners' preference.

Ofcourse there are ESL job prospects for people like you.

It's a poor criterion on which to decide a good teacher.

I know of students taught by a German who all have a distinctive Germanic accent. I met two your Vietnamese who had a strong Cockney accent (from a less pleasant part of London, England) and, when I inquired, told me that learned English from this 'guy from London' and ever since people have been asking whereabouts in London they are from.

The most popular language instructors are those from Britain, Canada and the States because of their 'accents'. Mind you, all three have different spelling, vocabulary and grammar.

Still, even Vietnamese teach English!

I suggest you look for better positions in the university area, they only accept those with uni degrees and you have the added benefits of the London qualifications. Plus students have to accept what is offered, so your judges are less prejudiced.

Tough luck dear friend. The citizens of this country having been dominated for so long still believe in the supremacy of Westerners. You want to learn English, learn from the Westerners. After all, it's their language. Although there is a strong movement towards learning Chinese currently as the global nations watch the Dragon roaring into LIFE!

Perhaps try Laos or Cambodia.

The parents watch who comes out of the language center. If they see white skin they smile, waive and sign up their kids for the next class.

"By rights" does not mean anything here.

You can check Vietnamwork website => education field => many english job in this site

At famous English centres like ILA , VUS , BC or ACET , I find out that the teachers have to have Bachelor degree and speak E influently . Hope you can find the job which you are sastify :)

Unfortunately, very qualified and capable teachers like you don't have a fair chance. I am also a non native English teacher but 'white skin' ... Caucasian. Also, the salary of an Asian teacher is lower than the salary of a Caucasian.