Will move for any English-speaking jobs

Hello all,

Sometime back I started a thread on moving to Iceland.

After thinking through, I have decided to move for my sanity.

I tried looking on job sites but seems like there are few jobs in very niche industries.

Coming from Singapore which is a non-EU country, I know it will not be easy, but I believe it is possible.

I did consider teaching English or studying in an Iceland university but I would like to try looking for a job first.

I did Media Studies, and have 3 years of working experience as an Operations Manager dealing with luxury clients.

Basically I am willing to try any jobs as long as English is needed.

Would be most thankful if someone can point me to job sites (English of course) or give me more ideas. Meanwhile, I am looking up University courses.

Takk! :)

Hello jadiore.

The Jobs in Iceland section si at your disposal. Do not hesitate to post an advert there. It can be useful. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,

There are not a lot of online job sites in Iceland and definitely not one that is all in English. This is a very very tiny community so to be honest, the hiring of specialty staff seems to be more by word of mouth than through any job postings.

My company has recently been hiring, and one guy we hired by personal recommendation. We have since put an ad in a print paper that hasn't resulted in any candidates so we are once again searching through the grapevine.

This is the paper that has the biggest help wanted section and you see that there is only one listing in English and that the format of the site is not super sophisticated:

http://www.visir.is/section/RAD#kat=2

Teaching English is not generally a way in for non-EEA passport holders because there are EEA English speakers who can be hired more easily, and the level of English is quite high here already.

The few non-EEA people I know in Iceland these days who came already with a job were hired by CCP. It's a huge gaming company with offices all over the world. Otherwise the best way in seems to be if you can physically be here and to just call/visit as many companies as you can. I also just thought of one woman who came as a student and has been able to transfer it to a work visa successfully. In any case, physical presence in the country seems to be the most effective first step towards finding work here.

Great! Thanks for the help!
I can stay in Iceland for 3 months without a visa so perhaps I can try that first.

Thank you so much! :)