Applying for a work permit from a third country

This is going to get geographically rather complicated, so hold on...

I am currently in Germany and have just been offered a job in Cape Town. I have not received a contract yet but would expect to in the coming few weeks. At Christmas I will be back in the UK (my home country) for three weeks. After that I will be moving to Australia for around six months until I move to South Africa.

It is likely that I will be able to take up the position even when I am away because I will be able to do some of the work remotely. It is clear however that to get paid I will need a South African work permit even if I am not in South Africa (I presume).

My question is: Once I apply for the permit (for instance at the consulate in England) do I have to return to the consulate at any time? If so then that doesn't seem like a good idea as I will be in Australia soon after. Is it also possible for me to apply at the consultate in Australia and can anyone give me an idea of how long it is likely to get the visa given that I have a contract already for the job?

If anybody has any tips about this I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan & welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie.

I was in Germany when the contract has been offered. I will probably be in Australia when it is given.

Hi Jonathan

Firstly, the place you apply is where you need to collect, so my advice is to apply in Australia. It shouldn't take longer than 30 days, but I would ask them at the specific place where you apply. Which Australian city/town will this be?

Secondly, as for any kind of work permit or endorsement, you can only apply once you have the actual contract.

Good luck!

Many thanks, that is useful to know. Is there no way to get it sent to me rather than collecting it myself?

Should you submit your application in London, you are able to send your application and passport to the South African High Commission by Royal Mail Special Delivery with a return paid for envelope included. However the SAHC have the right to request that you collect the passport in person. If you submit your application in Australia, for applications originating from within Australia - a return Self-addressed Express or Registered Post Envelope (only one envelope per family must be sent with your application and passport). For applications originating from outside Australia - the applicant will be responsible to arrange for a courier to collect the application after finalization.