What is a good temporary job in Malta until I get a permanent one.

Hello, I am an American with Maltese duel citizenship, who is thinking of moving to Malta next summer and then find a job in my field of electronics. I have some money saved and a temporary place to stay. Once I find a job, I plan to use my saved money to buy an apartment. However, I don't have any idea how long it would take to find a job in my field. If I am lucky, I might find a job in a few days or even weeks but it could take several months to find a job. Instead of just staying unemployed until I find the job I want, I think that it would be better to find an unskilled, low paying job that I could work at temporarily until I find my desired job. I know that it wouldn't pay much but at least it would prevent me from eating up my savings as fast. I really don't care what the jobs requires me to do but you should know that I don't know that much Maltese so the job shouldn't require me to have to know it and I don't know the streets of Malta too well so the job shouldn't require me to drive around. Other than that I would do anything else. I have three questions:
1)What would be a good temporary job for a foreigner like me to apply for?
2)Do you think that it is difficult to get a temporary job like this? To clarify, if I actively look for a job like this when I arrive, do you think I could get one within three weeks?
3)Should I let the employer know that I only want to work with them until I find a better job? If  I do, then I'm afraid that they won't hire me. If I don't, then I'm afraid that they would be mad at me when I quit and find the more permanent job.

jmuthe wrote:

Hello, I am an American with Maltese duel citizenship, who is thinking of moving to Malta next summer and then find a job in my field of electronics. I have some money saved and a temporary place to stay. Once I find a job, I plan to use my saved money to buy an apartment. However, I don't have any idea how long it would take to find a job in my field. If I am lucky, I might find a job in a few days or even weeks but it could take several months to find a job. Instead of just staying unemployed until I find the job I want, I think that it would be better to find an unskilled, low paying job that I could work at temporarily until I find my desired job. I know that it wouldn't pay much but at least it would prevent me from eating up my savings as fast. I really don't care what the jobs requires me to do but you should know that I don't know that much Maltese so the job shouldn't require me to have to know it and I don't know the streets of Malta too well so the job shouldn't require me to drive around. Other than that I would do anything else. I have three questions:
1)What would be a good temporary job for a foreigner like me to apply for?
2)Do you think that it is difficult to get a temporary job like this? To clarify, if I actively look for a job like this when I arrive, do you think I could get one within three weeks?
3)Should I let the employer know that I only want to work with them until I find a better job? If  I do, then I'm afraid that they won't hire me. If I don't, then I'm afraid that they would be mad at me when I quit and find the more permanent job.

Hey jmuthe.......

sorry that after asking this question(so many times) that you still have not got the answer you search....

However, after the answers here

Passport question

here:

Plan to move to Malta

here:

Would I be better off....

here:

Buses?

and here:

Getting a Maltese Job Interview....

I am disappointed that you still have not got the answers you seek.......there has been a lot of research and time gone into your previous posts - maybe a newcomer to the site (or indeed your relatives who live in Malta)can give you what you ask - I,am afraid, cannot shed any more other than concur what has already been said.

Kindest Regards

Mike

I know that I posted a lot of questions recently and I will admit that they all start off the same way with me introducing myself and stating my goals. However, after I introduced myself, the post contained different questions. One was about the buses, another was about a passport problem I had, another was a question about preparation for the move. I also realize that when I posted the topic "Getting a Maltese job interview from another country" I started by asking one question and then asked a similar question to what I am asking now. However, the coordinators of this forum prefer that we ask one question for each post that we create so that is what I did. I also wanted to expand on that question so I thought it was more logical to start a new post.

Hi jmuthe,

it is ok that you post all those questions.

But in the end you will have to make your decision without the kind of guarantie or safety that you might be looking for.

Nobody knows how the job market for qualified or unskilled will be like next year but one thing I do know is that , as an unskilled , low paid labourer nobody will really care when you leave if you find something else. You would probably be employed without a contract and without social security and be paid cash.

The kind of jobs you are referring to only really exist in bars and restaurants, on building sites and maybe selling tickets and trips to tourists and in the summer season it should not be too difficult to find a unskilled,low paid job.

I just think that you should scrap the idea of buying an appartment during your first years. Just my opinion. Otherwise give it a try.

Cheers
Ricky

I am wondering why mikeinpoulton would be "disappointed" that jmuthe didnt find the answers he is looking for.If i was jumuthe or anyone for that matter, i would be asking a 1000 questions.  Doesnt he realise that up rooting and moving to a foreign country, especially a country like malta, is a big move, especially for someone who is risking his life savings.

fruge wrote:

I am wondering why mikeinpoulton would be "disappointed" that jmuthe didnt find the answers he is looking for.If i was jumuthe or anyone for that matter, i would be asking a 1000 questions.  Doesnt he realise that up rooting and moving to a foreign country, especially a country like malta, is a big move, especially for someone who is risking his life savings.

Thank you fruge for your considerate post….I am sure jmuthe will be heartened to see support from ‘others' here on the board.  I was disappointed because after having asked several times, he still didn't have the information he (she if you look at the avatar) so desperately searched for notwithstanding the lengthy and well researched answers to all the points raised (which if you read them again) did overcross the same subjects at point.  Ricky…a site animator and respected sage of the forum, quite rightly pointed out that anyone can ask as many questions as they like, however, after ascertaining all the information it does indeed boil down to personal choice in the end.  Further, jmuthe says that they have Maltese relatives on the Island – what do they think?

To address your point “doesn't he realise that up rooting and moving to a foreign country, especially a country like Malta….etc” – I will not labour the point, however, my track record is I have lived in Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Sardinia, and Paris….oh and England of course – (I am no stranger to moving home, and indeed with a family). So yes I was a little ‘disappointed', however what did ‘tickle me' was the “If I was jmuthe”…..now that really was funny…..only to me of course.

May I take this opportunity of wishing you season's greetings and I feel sure that if you ever thought of moving to the paradise Isle that is Malta there would be many to answer your 1000 questions if that's what was indeed needed.

Kind Regards

Mike

I actually like jmuthe's questions, because they trigger the best detailed discussions covering different points of view. When I was doing my research, I was finding mostly positives about the island, from statistics, blogs etc. I think it's important to ask tons of questions, especially if people are willing to answer them. As for low qualified jobs, it's not too hard to find in restaurants, bars with no Maltese. Pay is very low, expect 5 Euros or less an hour at most. Tips are not like in the States. You will deep into your savings fast. Hope I don't come out as a grinch with those comments, that's not my intention at all. And best of luck with whatever your final decision will be.