Close

Good health insurance cost in Vietnam?

I am Harry from US, I am sick and tire of working right now. I am thinking about quitting my job and expat to VN. Can someone let me know how much Health insurance cost in HCMC? Does Phường/Quận giving a hard time if you're Vietnamese American? Thank you.

Viet Kieu are welcomed, these days.

You have to come over and shop around for VN insurers to get a good quite. Some start around USD$300/annum/person.

I thought you guys had Obamacare no?

Jaitch :

Viet Kieu are welcomed, these days.

You have to come over and shop around for VN insurers to get a good quite. Some start around USD$300/annum/person.

I thought you guys had Obamacare no?

ObamaTaxCare isn't a national health plan. I don't think anybody really knows what it is.

Parmyd :

ObamaTaxCare isn't a national health plan.

Whatever it is, it seems to be a damn sight better than what the millions of uninsured have now.

The States claims to be a world leader, if this is true how come so many other countries have government health plans, including VietNam?

Unfortunately for the OP the VN plan doesn't cover Foreigners.

Depend on your age, but good ones cost 1000-2000 USD/year. They would cover treatment at top foreign-operated hospitals here and Thailand/Singapore plus dental plus emergency treatment worldwide if you are traveling.

For minor injuries/sickness, you don't need any health insurance, just go to any local hospitals and they will treat you right away for <10 USD.

Concerning your question about local police: if you live in those good apartments (saigon Pearl, The Manor, cantavil), you'll never see any of them.
You still need to register officially, but the landlord and/or the house keeping desk of the building can help you with them

IF YOU WANT TO PROTECT YOURSELF IN VIETNAM, here are some tips for insurance selection:
- select your must- have benefit first: what I suggest, your must have benefit are: emergency evacuation, repatriation and a high- enough inpatient benefit to cover for your worst case happen in Vietnam (preferably more than 1 billion VND)
- select base on stability of the plan: some plan do not guarantee renew for you, they might put copayment in the second year if you use a lot in the 1st year. Some local providers and even Liberty are in this list.
- select based on your budget: getting insurance from global company such as Aetna, Bupa are the best, but it is so expensive. So choosing the foreign-owned Vietnam-based companies with reputable service such as: Pacific Cross or Liberty are also a wise choice, only from $500/ year.

Moderated by Priscilla 2 months ago
Reason : no free ads here please + register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
hopes6166 :

choosing the foreign-owned Vietnam-based companies with reputable service such as: Pacific Cross or Liberty are also a wise choice, only from $500/ year.

Not exactly true.  Unless one is young and without existing condition, the cost of a good health insurance is not exactly affordable in VN.

Last year, Pacific Cross gave us a quote for my spouse -- I don't remember the exact number, but it's somewhere around $350 - $400/m, and they told us it's not even a guaranteed quote.  That's 350% of what spouse paid while living in the States (for his age, he had free Medicare Part A which covered all hospital expense; he had to pay for Medicare Part B, which covered outpatients, lab works, etc.  He decided to join a very good HMO, and his out of pocket cost for *everything* from A to Z was $108/m.)

My nephews and nieces (Vietnamese citizens) no longer have full coverage with Bảo Việt An Gia as when they were younger.  Earlier this year, my oldest niece was ill and had to stay in hospital for 5 days.  Since Bảo Việt kicked her out when she turned 65, all of her siblings pitched in to pay for her medical expense.

Expatriate health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ho Chi Minh City

Travel insurance in Ho Chi Minh City

Enjoy stress-free travel to Ho Chi Minh City