Cost of Leaving

I am single person plan to move in Malawi. How much US Dollar will I need to live in Malawi, if I have free accommodation in Blantyre?

Regards,

Vipin

Hi Vipin,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope you will get replies very soon.

All the best,
Christine

It all depends on how you want to live Vipin.  Since your accommodation is looked after, which is the bulk of your expense, my guess would be 3000MKW to 5000 MKW  (approx. 10 to 16 USD)a day.  I was spending 5000 to 6000 MKW a day for two - this is based on 3 months traveling about Malawi in April ~ June 2012 not staying in high end places (good places that were safe) and that was for food and accommodation as well - Mzuzngu style.  ie eating out all the time in restaurants. Yes it is really easy to spend a ton of money but you really don't have too. The food was always fair to good and the transport was bus sometimes taxi.  So I think for you 3000 to 5000MKW a day it is more than enough - but things change too.  So what you don't use on one day you bank for the next or a special occasion to go out and do something nice - feed people that you don't know all sorts of things. Hope this helps.

[Moderated: Off topic]