Cost of living in Dubai

Hi all,
I've been offered a job in dubai with a salary of AED 20000. They are not providing accomodation or transport facilities. I am married and have a 2 year old kid. In my current job, I have a monthly savings of around Rs.60,000(around AED 4000) and lead a very comfortable lifestyle. Can you please let me know if the salary being offered is good enough and if I can save a similar amount in Dubai as well?

Thanks in advance..

Hello techieguy,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I would suggest you to check other threads on the "cost of living in Dubai". You might find useful info.

Thank you,
Christine

Hi,

'A very comfortable lifestyle' - needs more definition, as comfort for one person may not be so for another.  As for savings of similar amount, yes you can.  But no luxury villa or apartment or fancy lifestyle if you have to pay for these; thought not bad.  AED 20K is a lot when looked in the context of today's tight market.  Make sure you get medical insurance cover for all.

AED 20000 per month is a lot from what I know. Should be able have an comfortable life in Dubai.

Thanks mjrv and dannysuz for your comments. What I meant by 'A very comfortable lifestyle' was that I eat out every weekend(spending around Rs.3000 for dinner), go out to movies often, purchasing items without having to worry about the budget etc. Do you think I would be able to lead a similar lifestyle in Dubai with AED 20K per month? Also, I've learnt that I might have to work out of Abu Dhabi and not Dubai. I heard that Abu Dhabi is more expensive compared to Dubai. Is that true?

Eating out is not a concern, unless your choice is full of 5* hotels, or party bashing every weekend.  Average movie tickets cost you AED 30-35 each, so you do the math.  Purchasing items without care - the banks will love you and shower you with credit cards, up to you to worry about the trap.  Abudhabi and Dubai are similar, rents could be higher in Abudhabi in popular areas, although they have developed a lot of off-city residences.

Thanks mjrv. That was very helpful. Can you please let me know if I can find a good 2 Bedroom apartment for a rent of around AED 6000 per month? I'm not looking for anything posh. Just a decent apartment in an upper middle class area would do. Can you please let me know if AED 6000 is too less for such an apartment? Thanks in advance..

2-bedroom apartments in popular areas will be upwards of AED 85,000/- p.a. Trust you are aware in UAE you have to pay rent for the year in advance via p.d. cheques.  AED 72,000/- may get you 2-bedroom in lesser places.