Policing in HCM City

I recently did an illegal U turn in District 1 and was introduced to the 'shady' side of policing in this beautiful city. The way that I looked at it was well, he may have  4 children to take care of and his pay sure has to be. Supplemented! Just watch out more cautiously in future! They want to have a Merry Christmas!! LOL..

Foreigners are held to a higher standard of driving as the CGST know most of our home countries require tough examinations.

Still, given the sad state of driving skills hereabouts, how can you tell what's legal and what's not.

The 'safety enforcement' of keeping motorcycles out of the car lanes is so the 'blue hats' (politicians/civil servants) can get home quicker.

Remember, if the CGST guys are hiding behind trees, etc. or smoking, take their time/location and a picture and report them to the district office. These are orders from CGST commanders in this city.

They have also been ordered never to carry notes larger than VND50,000 when on duty - so make sure you only offer large notes for bribe requests.

and always take the key out of your ignition.

Was about to post something about this. Looking to start driving here next month, also looking to get a VN license (for health insurance reasons).

In terms of traffic police here how does it work? Are they more or less likely to stop foreigners? I've seen it go both ways on my travels.

Buzzer wrote:

In terms of traffic police here how does it work? Are they more or less likely to stop foreigners? I've seen it go both ways on my travels.

If you drive at the same speed as other vehicles, you should be OK. Foreigners who drive like Vietnamese ignoring signs/lights will likely get stopped.

Ha Noi is very strict on traffic violations.

The CGST idea of a safety drive is ticketing motorcyclists who drive in the car lanes. They do have 'lighting' drives. Missing helmets invite trouble.

Just remember, if you have an accident YOU, as a Foreigner, are usually held guilty and will have to pay. Often locals will volunteer to witness for the VNese party for a small donation.

Vehicles usually don't signal - look at their wheels to see of they are turned.

Manholes have three risks: Slippery when wet; tops tend to lift in heavy rain; after a heavy vehicle passes over them some covers pop up and move leaving a gaping hole.

On highway traffic lights often have 90-120 second cycles, be patient.

Taxis use the signal and move technique thinking that they have right of way because of their size.

Often drivers will overtake and then make a sharp 90 degree right turn in front of you.

Car owners value their paintwork which means they will usually yield rather than get hit.

Vnese drivers are notorious 'hit and run' artists.

No accident happened unless the CGST is called, and they fill out paper.

CGST highway patrols have laser speed traps, don't work well where more than one motorcycle and they usually have cameras with these traps when in cars. They have quite a few US built Cobra patrol cars.

Three people are killed daily, on average, in Metro Ho Chi Minh daily.

Hey guys,

With Tet just around the corner, the cops's new year "fund drive" is about to begin.  I highly suggest that you be careful with the way you ride or drive...  Considering the way the Vietnamese economy is, things can get pretty ugly.