Considering Lae as a family with littlies

My partner is currently interviewing for a job in Lae.  I've been googling and reading blogs/forum posts/anything and everything that I can find to help us make the leap or stay put.

We've a young family: 2 boys aged 3 and a little girl nearly 2.  I work part-time, my partner works fulltime.  We are from the UK but live in NZ.

The company that he'd work for are throwing in (the usual) perks: house, children's schooling, medical cover, a car.  His salary would be around $200k aussie dollars before tax.  Would that give us a comfortable way of life as a family of 5 - reading that taxation and food, are high?

I've posted some questions with regards to the children on the children's forum; but for those reading this with young families: what is it like?  Is it a massive sacrifice and better for single guys/girls? Or does the restrictions not really bite until when they're older?  I read about boarding schools - is that a personal choice or does it become too limiting for older children?

I've read about the dangers and raskols and obviously fairly concerned.  I'm pretty independent and the thought of living in a compound not working, twiddling my fingers, too scared to go out, doesn't fill me with great hope.  I was wondering perhaps of studying by correspondence or finding a job?!  Or is that unrealistic?

I'm just after any information about the way of life that you can give me about Lae.  I've read about the gyms on here, the potholes.. there's limited lesuire activities/restaurants unlike in POM so what do families/people tend to do?  What do you do on a weekend?

Medical facilities - any paediatrics in Lae?

What about brown goods? What are brown goods?!  And anything that we should ship over without hesitation!? 

In hindsight anything else that you wished you'd taken/considered/thought more about/bought in advance etc?

And finally, because I'm an utter wuss, what's the cockroach/spider/snake situation like? :P

Thanks a million in advance to any of you that answer.  Take care :)

Hello sameboat.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you'll find answers to all your questions.

Do not hesitate to go through the other threads on the Papua New Guinea forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,
I am also from the UK and have just returned after living there for a length of time. I have two boys aged 6 and 9, there is only one school in Lae which expats take their children to. School fees are much cheaper from 2013 and are normally covered by the company. The standard of education is still unknown as from 2013, they are having only national teachers - up until December of this year, there were a few expat teachers. There are no parks or anything of the sort and there is only one small playground situated in the Yacht Club. Mums normally get together with the kids and let them play or swim whilst the mums have a natter. It is hard to make friends and you have to be introduced by someone who is already in the know as such. Having said that, I had a great group of friends there and we were all mums with children in the same class. Life there is what you make of it. It can be fun but also the lack of freedom takes some getting used to. You literally cannot walk on the streets as it isn't safe enough. Maybe nothing will happen but you don't want to take the risk. In all honesty, I would say that Lae is good for a single man.of course there are families there, but education does pose a problem.

I'm sorry for this essay of a reply. Please feel free to ask any further questions as I am sure you many - like I did before I went there :)

Best wishes.

Thanks for your help and info.

How many years did you live in Lae? Just asking as wondering if your kids were a similar age when you went out there 

Surely at an 'International School' whether Teachers are Expats or Nationals, they've all been trained to a standard to deliver the curriculum?

Do you know if there are swimming instructors? Or is learning to swim something we should do over here before moving (if he gets the job)?

Is there anything that you would recommend to ship up there to make life easier?

HI,

One thing I learnt in Lae is that you don't assume anything! So yes, you would assume that an International school would have teachers regardless of whether they are nationals or expats to be able to deliver a curriculum. But from personal experience with my eldest son who had a national teacher, that wasn't so. Many families who have lived in Lae for many years have recently left because of the school situation. You also have to consider (depending on how long you are planning on being there for) education past primary school.

The school has swimming lessons once a week and there is also a swimming instructor who we used. It was 25 kina per child per hour. The difficulty with the instructor is that he uses a pool which belongs to a college and therefore there isn't any consistency as the pool invariably gets hired out for functions. Another thing you'll find is that most pools in Lae whether it be the school pool or a pool within a compound is that they can go for weeks or even months on end when they cannot be used because of the pump being broken or there are n cleaning chemicals.

In terms of GPs, that is another situation where you needto take into careful consideration. Healthcare generally is very poor. Expats normally see one particular doctor but she has left recently. If the case is really serious, people get flown out of the country to Aus. So make sure your husband is covered by the company for that.

In terms of shipping things over, beware, we shipped our stuff over, there was delay after delay in finally getting our hands on our stuff and when we finally did, several items were missing. There is nothing which you can do and it is one of those things which living in Lae, you just have to accept. Most things are available in Lae from duvets to saucepans and hair products and all that's in between. But they are expensive! The cost of living in Lae is high!

I hope I am not putting you off. I just want try and paint a picture of the realistic life in Lae. I had many beautiful moments there and in some respects miss it. But there are many other aspects, upon reflection where I think "did we seriously do that" :)