American looking for advice on life in dubai

hi all! i'm an american girl, 28 years old, currently living in italy. i may have the opportunity to work in dubai for a media company.

i've spoken to a few middle eastern friends about dubai, and now i'm interested in hearing from westerners who live there.

what is the culture like? are there any other international cities you could compare it to? i've traveled quite a bit but have always lived in major cities. i'm concerned that dubai doesn't have much in the way of museums, etc. how's the food? what's the cost of living like? what do you do on the weekends?

i'd love to hear your thoughts. thanks!

I am not a westerner, but will try to answer, trust that is all right with you.

Dubai is an Islamic city in its core, not a fundamentalist; it is far different from the rest of the Middle East because of its broadminded approach towards many nations and religions.  There are 160-odd different nationalities live here in harmony, and the culture is a curious mix which is rarely found elsewhere.  Singapore maybe a near comparison but still different.

Not much of history here, so you will find just one decent museum in Dubai.  It has dozens of interesting places and beaches to go to, apart from glitzy malls and shows.  You can get food of any cuisine.  Cost of living is mostly up to the individual who can choose to lead a simple life or a flashy one.  Rents are high here, usually paid up for the year by post dated cheques.  Most residents sleep and shop on weekends, but there are many activities one could choose, like waterfront action, sailing, swimming, sports, fishing, picnics and so on.
If you have more specific questions, please ask or send me a pm.
Good luck!

newyorkkaty wrote:

hi all! i'm an american girl, 28 years old, currently living in italy. i may have the opportunity to work in dubai for a media company.

i've spoken to a few middle eastern friends about dubai, and now i'm interested in hearing from westerners who live there.

what is the culture like? are there any other international cities you could compare it to? i've traveled quite a bit but have always lived in major cities. i'm concerned that dubai doesn't have much in the way of museums, etc. how's the food? what's the cost of living like? what do you do on the weekends?

i'd love to hear your thoughts. thanks!

Hiii katy

I'm at the same position at you and i think this link might help

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/middle-e … ities.html

grttttzzzz

hello
i just want to get a few informations from you,
i am a pharmacist working in dubai.
i want to work in us aa a pharmacy technician. an examination called ptcb is required. can u guide me to get informations abt this.
is there any centres in uae
pls reply

shaji786 wrote:

hello
i just want to get a few informations from you,
i am a pharmacist working in dubai.
i want to work in us aa a pharmacy technician. an examination called ptcb is required. can u guide me to get informations abt this.
is there any centres in uae
pls reply

Why not ask the US Embassy and see if they can assist you.

how are you there
The best thing about Dubai is the Culture Mix , Night life , Malls , and beach 
You will enjoy the Indian food and also Arabic food