Is Greece a good destination for tourism?

Hello,

I'm thinking of visiting Greece, always had to dream to see that anciant city , since I've read about its legends, philosphers,...

But With the serious crisis Greece is going through, is it a good place; I mean a safe one  to travel to nowadays?

and what's the best time  visit? the historical places,or  any other  recomandations.

Thank you in advance:)

Well, I should say that during Spring, especially May its a fine time to visit Greece. June also. But in May its more quiet, better prices and not so hot.

I am planning to stay in Greece for 4 nights for a visit. Will that number of days take me far from Athens or I should just concentrate in staying in Athens?

Whilst there is a lot to see in Athens, in just 1 hour you can get to Corinth,Louktraki and if you have not booked all your nights accommodation why not travel in the Peloponnese and see Meteora,Kalavrita etc.  At least you get to see rural Greece

Seriously, this whole thing about social unrest and risks for tourists are overlz exaggerated. I have hosted plenty of friends ever since the crisis began and they had absolutely zero problems. On the contrary, they loved their stay so much that they plan to come visit again next summer.

So, it's absolutely safe, do not believe what the media say.

Hello ,

Greece is absolutely SAFE.There are soooo many historical places to visit.i hope you have much time !!!

1.ancient ACROPOLI and PARTHENONAS
2.New archeological museum of ACROPOLI
3.MONASTHRAKI
4.SYNTAGMA AND GREEK PARLIAMENT
5.BIBLIOTHIKI AND PANEPISTIMIO ancient buildings)
6.SOUNIO (to watch the wonderful sunset)
7.THERMOPILES (hot gates and see the statue of Leonidas)
8.DELPHI
9.OLYMPIA (In Peloponissos .you know Olympic games))
10.MARATHONAS

If you need more let me know .
Hope you enjoy your staying .Don't forget to try greek souvlaki,greek salad,kokoretsi,pastitsio, mousaka,stuffed tomatoes and pepers,kontosouvli,dolmades with vine leaves and good greek vine.

Georgia
:)

I love Greece,i was in most beautiful island,s RHODES,Santorini,Paros  and before Halkidiki and month Aton.Alex,Sofia   e-mail;  [email protected]

Hi,i,m Alex from Sofia,I wont to visit in Atheens,I,m acook and i will asking job this season in Greece.Before 2 years i was in Rhodes town(season 2010)in my friends.I love Greek islands,i love greek cuisine,i love greek people.my email;  [email protected]    skype;  alexrhodes1968    tel; 00359895459255;)

LOL no offence but this is the funniest question ever, is Greece good for tourism?

it is fantastic for tourism, so much to see and do and the crisis is not as bad as the western media will let you believe

i hope you come and have an amazing time

It is a stupid question - I know already because I have been there! I don't know why my name was put with that question.....however, my wife and i arec onsidering coming to live there for a year a so - renting out our house in the UK and renting a place in Greece - probably the Peloponnese.
Thanks

good luck with your new adventure

:)Hi Anastasia,thank you for your friendly answer.I,m in Bulgaria now and here crisis too,very ,very bad live in this country,because i wont working and living in Greece.If you wont send my answer in my e-mail; [email protected]

you asked if greece was safe as a holiday destination,well like anywhere in the world,the natives and tourists must be careful.Downtown Athens,has seen a huge rise in mugging,bags,money from pockets,I have friends who have had 600 euros taken out of the pockets on their shorts while buying a ticket at monasteraki metro station.They understood nothing.I spoke with a woman in January on a return flight from Gatwick who said (we come to Athens many times each year and every time they steal money from us,pick pockets.We understood nothing,baby they are good)I of course said-wear a bum bag under your clothes for goodness sake.And you must be careful of the bus from Pireas port to the airport which many tourists use.Before The Athens News closed down they used to print letters from the public and several times tourists wrote of their horrendous eperiences on that bus.Teams of pick-pockets get on when its packed.get up real close,the driver is often in on it,then steal.One letter said,we got on the bus,with our tickets,tried to click them but machine did not work,inspectors got on,demanded hundreds of euros in fines for not having clicked ticket,they said,machine no work,inspectors try it,they say, liars,it works,pay the fine.Big row,bus stops,on come heavy police wanting to arrest them,the plane leaves soon,one guy is held down on the ground,In the end,they paid,declaring never to return to te hell country  again.The driver and inspectors regularily set that up with the police,they split the money.And in some parks people regularly find the empty bags that are thrown down after being stripped of valuables by the stealers.I could go on for ever,I have seen tourists with their bags hanging over the backs of their chairs,unknowing that a gang of stealers are waiting for the moment a crowd passes and then they will lift the bag,under the Acropolis,I discreetly told the lady what was about to happen,I saw it all as I leisurely drank my coffee.Im not saying dont come to athens,Im saying,go to any big city or small city or anywhere in full knowledge of reality,a holiday situation can make us all feel that nothing bad exists and certainly not on my holiday.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oj06RMIo_Cc