Can parents come visit?

Hi,

My husband will be working in a physician position with a family contract.  We are from the U.S.

Does anyone know if my mom and stepdad would be able to come from the U.S. to Jeddah to visit us? If so, about how long do they give visas for?

thank you!

Yes thay can come.

Visa will be for 30 days (min) but can be extended

Thank you tremendously for your reply.  I'm so happy to hear they can come!!

I second that...A guy who works in Saudi Arabia can bring his mother-in-law and father-in-law for a visit. 30 days visa, which can be renewed for two times. And even he can give them an Iqama if he proved that either his wife or they needs medical attention.

I wouldn't be so sure that it will all go swimmingly and without any hitches - this is the "Magic Kingdom" after all.

I notice you say step-father - did he formally adopt you? There have been people here that have had great difficulty getting visas for step-parents/children as they are not "related" to either you or your husband.

I heard about one guy who couldn't get a visa for his stepson (a minor), who had been living with him for years - the Saudi authorities said that "he had no reason to travel to Saudi" and denied the visa. We ourselves were advised by our company that to have my MIL visit would be no problem, but to get a visit visa for her husband (he isn't my husband's father) would probably be problematic and difficult.

That's not to say that it can't be done - that it hasn't been done in the past - or won't happen in the future - but as there is really no standard here - it depends on who is processing the visa, company wasta etc at the time, as to whether it will be allowed or not. I would talk to the company when you get here and see what they say - but be prepared that you may have this difficulty when it comes time for you to get the visit visa and maybe have a backup plan - like meeting them for a holiday in Dubai, Bahrain, Muscat

Yes it can be hard but your husband being a Doctor helps a lot, it's one of the very few professions where the government allows them to invite parents with minimum problems. As for your stepfather, to be hones am not sure. One way to do it is if he is still working and if your husband sponsor agreed, they can apply for a commercial visa( not a business visa).Anyways, it will all be cleared when you are here and when you try to apply for it, so good luck .

thank you all so much.  I was wondering if my step father would have trouble..hmm. I am not sure why he's (shari' wise) considered my mahram as he's married to my natural mother. He never adopted any of us. No one saw any need for that. I've known him since I was 2 years old. Both of my parents are white, non Muslim. I wonder if that makes a difference, either for the pro or con. They are both older and my mom won't come unless he comes because he's 70 at this time and can't be left alone for long periods of time.  They don't work, and the wouldn't want to stay gone too long.  There's no way they are broad minded or traveled enough to meet me in another Arab country =)  They are pretty country, Southern. Neither hear well and have thick accents. I just don't see them traveling elsewhere as a very likely thing to happen.  Let's see.. if all else fails, we'll just try to make our yearly visit to the States when the kids are out of school.

It'd be so much easier though if they could just come there, in so so many ways.

Now you are married, in Saudi your husband is your mahram.

'Easy' and 'Saudi' are often mutually exclusive terms!