Question about visas.

Hi All, I have a really important visa question for you - Does anyone have year long visa?? If so how did you get it? When I got my first visa it was for three months. Then I was sent out of the country and given another visa for three months, now I am being told I have to leave the country again to get another visa. Though I had been told wtice - by my boss - we could get my year long visa here in Moscow and now she is telling me something different AGAIN!

Any and all help would be great!

Tracee

Tracee, what exactly did your boss tell you? Visa situation depends completely on the company/place you work for. So if you get a visa for 3 months it's because of the company.

Well depends on when I talk to her is what I am told. I work in a private Kindergarten. When she hired me I was told to get a 3 month and we would then apply for my year long visa once I got to Russia. Well towards the end of September I reminded my boss my visa was about to expire and she said Ok I have to send you out of the country and you can reapply. Fine, however at that time I asked if in 3 months would I be leaving again or could we get the year visa form Russia and again I was told yes we could apply for the year visa in Russia. Now it is almost 3 months later so I reminded my boss again my visa is going to expire soon. She said ok the guy will come and take care of it (this was about a month ago) So earlier this week I asked my boss if she had any word on my visa and she said 'No that was for your accreditation to work here you have to leave the country again to get another visa.' It just so happens I'll be going to Germany in a few weeks for the holidays and she wants me to reapply then as annoying as it is for me. I am beginning to think she really has no idea. But she uses some company when doing anything with visas and through them is how I get my Invitation letter/telefax number

Even my relatives in Germany are questioning what she is doing.

Hey Tmendy!don't tell me about visas here it's such  mess! ive got a 1 year business visa, it was so complicated to get because everyone was telling me different things and papers to bring, now i know im supposed to leave the country every 90 days, but no one tells me anything so i'll probably overstay and be stuck in Russia. By the way anyone knows what's the shortest flight outisde of the country? Kiev? anyway You should ask your company they have to tell you which visa you have to apply for! ask them everyday it depends on them! see you later and good luck!
Sarah

Hello Tracee,

A new thread has been created as from your post on the Moscow forum for better visibility.

Best of luck,
Christine

Hi Tracee,
We are in exactly the same situation as you (and Sarah), although this will be our first renewal.   What I have been able to discover from enquiring with whoever may have an answer is the following;

1. A 1 year business visa, gives you 90 days in Russia in any 180 day period so in theory you can spend 3 months in Russia 3 out, then 3 in again, which doesn't work well with an employer.

2. We have been told (contrary to the advice from our boss), DO NOT under any circumstances overstay your visa.  While it may not hurt your chances of getting back in, it will cost you money (bribes)

3. You cannot convert a visa or extend it within Russia, you have to get out to cancel the one you have and apply for a new one outside Russia.

4. The situation with a work visa is something to do with a quota system they have for foreign employees.  A preschool will have to apply and get permission to employ foreign employees and then a set quota, until they have this approval they are not able to employ foreigners on work visas (thankfully our school will have their approvals sorted this week hopefully)

5. Depending on your passport (country of issue) there are certain requirements as to where you can renew your visa so is not just a trip to a neighbouring country.  We are awaiting an answer on this one from an expert in the next day or 2, so will let you know what I find out.

By the way, where did you go to renew your visa ?  We were hoping to do ours in Finland, but understand that Kiwis can't do it there, without first having long term visa to Finland....   Visas like everything else here seem bloody complicated...

and as suggested by previous readers, keep on at your boss to sort the situation out, you can't live not knowing if you are going to have to pack up and ship out in 3 months time forever.

Good luck

Tony

Hi Guys, if you wish to stay long in Russia with year long visa, you should get a work permit visa or visa from a accredited company. If interested, ask me for further details.

I went to Riga for my first renewel I now have to do it again. I was looking to do it while in Germnay, but that is not looking good. I am finding a year visa needs a lot of paperwork and blood work and I have no interest in that. Plus I know I am leaving at the end of my contract in July. So I do not know what to do.

How many 3 month visas can I get in a row? Since I am going for another visa do I have to get a year long or can it be another 3 month.

Thank you all!

It depends with the embassy issuing the visa. In some countries they issue two 3 months business visa but most embassies don't do that. Since you're leaving the country by July you can stick to the business visa or if you wish to stay long then you can get the working visa (the processing time to get the card & invitation ready will be 45 days)

So basically I am screwed? I got one visa from Riga in October. Germany won't get me one fast. So I can't get another one from Riga? So maybe I should just do what my heart is telling me and leave altogether. My visa expires on January 6, I leave for a vacation in Germany on the 23rd.

I suggest you to take a 1yr business visa which will let you stay for 180 days. This is the best option i can suggest.

Does that one year business require the bloodwork?

But that 1 year visa which allows you to stay up to 180 days still only allows you 90 days in any 180 day period....  the only way you can stay long term is with a work visa.  We are about to head out to England to renew ours and have just been informed by our boss that it will only be another business visa which will mean in 90 days we will have to go again....  Unfortunately these all require blood work, etc, so we are in a similar boat, we really want to stay here for our agreed 2 years, but unfortunately the way the Russian... around with s.. like this makes many other places a lot more inviting....

I'm ready to leave - between dealing with the visa mess, my boss, the kids and how the school is run I just want to be done and go elsewhere. I am going to Germany on Dec 23, my visa expires Jan 6th so I am ready to tell my boss I won't be returning in January.

I know that it is possible for visas to be extended here year on year, depending on the type of visa.  It seems as if your boss does not know how to do it or has not issued you with an invitation for the correct visa.  What type of visa do you have?