Ex-pat children in Maltese schools

Hi guys , we're a UK family gearing up for a move to Malta in August 2013 and were wondering how ex-pat children integrate into Maltese schools ?
We had previously heard excellent reports on the school system down there but have read some not so good ones on the forum and would be interested to hear from ex pat parents with kids in Maltese schools.
We have a 7yr old daughter who would be going to school and obviously don't want to put her into a problematic situation ! - any feedback , good or bad would be appreciated
Cheers,
Neil.

One of the problems several have reported is if you don't want your child "indoctrinated" in the catholic religion. Some schools spend longer on religious education (well, catholic education) than on science.

I thought you can opt out from religion classes if you are a foreigner. am I wrong?

in theory yes, but I've heard some parents have had problems doing so

Ok , thanks for your info. The kids will be christened catholic before we go , not that we're an overly religious family but we were planning on doing it anyway ! - what about the Maltese kids towards ex-pat kids ? - is there any issues with bullying etc ? - still I suppose you can get that anywhere and we were in Malta last month and she seemed to get on great with the Maltese kids she met in play parks etc !!! - suppose I'm worrying over nothing really but it's such a big thing for us ( and anyone I suppose ) to move to another country !!!

Where will your daughter go to school? The school itself will make the most difference, rather than the other kids.

We're sure yet , we're coming down in February to have a look at schools so we're very much open to suggestions !

Sorry that was meant to read " we're NOT sure yet " !!!😄

:) integrating in the private schools won't be a problem, as there are lots of ex pat kids in them.  The government schools might be a bit harder, but I have friends with their kids in a government school in pembroke and they are very happy. I think government schools might be defendant on the catchment area, but someone else on here may know more than I do in that regard.  I have kids at st Catherine's and chiswick, both are private and good schools.  I've heard that San Anton and San Andrea are the best private schools, but as I don't have kids there, I can't verify that.  There is also verdala, which is an international school, about double price wise than private school and often hard to get a place in.

georgeingozo wrote:

One of the problems several have reported is if you don't want your child "indoctrinated" in the catholic religion. Some schools spend longer on religious education (well, catholic education) than on science.

George.....as you too are a guest.....I don't see your "problem".  As a guest to their Islands you must agree that you have have to adapt/accept to the idiosyncrasies of your chosen....indeed ....utopic idealistic lifestyle.

Gozo is indeed an idyllic place to live; however, and here is the money shot, not everyone shares your views. 

Malta, however, is a completely different place.....it can be everything for everybody.  We have all agreed here that there is a community spirit....a willingness to meet and help each other.

There is no need to post several "posts" within minutes of each other in order to build up your posting record (you have done the same on the 'other' board) to create credibility.

Please leave Religion alone....you are a guest, as I said earlier......let's keep our advice to those who need help moving here.

There are so many here.......thank God.

Edit.....Oh! as for my wife's education (we have been married for 32 years) it was fantastic....so she tells me (and she is in a managerial position in England - even after having three beautiful boys (over many years), and following me around the world) That was "then" and our family, in Malta, confirm that the delivery of education,today, is exceptional...even for those "foreigners". Hey! I am informed that they even study science and that if they do well they can apply to go to the University of Malta.....to get world recognised degrees.

Mike

Mike- I don't have kids so it's not my problem.  I know several Maltese parents who are unhappy with the Catholic education of their children. I know one foreign couple who are preparing to leave the island because their child's school won't allow them to be excluded from religious (catholic) lessons

"Please leave Religion alone."  If it was religious education, ie comparing different belief systems, that's one thing, but what some parents don't like is the almost 100% focus on one. If I had children, I would want them to be taught about religions - its part of our history, and one of the things that provides colour to our society. It also helps them to make an informed choice about their beliefs, and makes us more tolerant and understanding of other peoples beliefs (or lack of).

"let's keep our advice to those who need help moving here.." which is exactly why I brought it up. For some people its important, and better for them to be aware beforehand, so they can ask questions of their schools of choice if they consider it important.

"There is no need to post several "posts" within minutes of each other in order to build up your posting record (you have done the same on the 'other' board) to create credibility.. " yep, that's why I do it..... or maybe its because I don't like long rambling posts, and prefer to address different issues in separate posts. My credibility (or lack of it)would be no different if you halved my post count.

I have a 5 year old daughter who is in Sliema Government school. She has only been at the school for 2 months but so far she really likes it and I havent had any 'issues'.
I think its 'pot luck' though as with most schools. Inbox me if you think I can be of any more help.
Also, listen to georgeingozo.He has more knowledge than most of us expats altogether!

knowledge can be a dangerous thing - if its fixed and on collision course with others of a different point of view. Not everyone agrees and rightly so...the world as a whole has different people with different views and all have to be acknowledges and considered to make the the rigth choices...for them.

My wife and I are off on Monday to visit a few private schools, we'll post back on here our thoughts. The itinerary includes, San Andrea (or Andrea, St Catherines, St Michaels, Chiswick, Newark.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Malta for a complete list.

So far our thoughts are;

Chiswick

Nowadays perhaps a little tainted and perhaps has lost the charm of the Mrs. Mangion years which made this school great. Other posters have hinted at bullying brought about from the mixed eco-social mix of families. Great facilities and atmosphere but large class sizes. ALL of my teachers friends state class as the single most important factor in academic education. Despite all of my prejudice, this school remains a contender.

St Catherines

Largely unknown.

St Michaels.

Came recommended, reasonable class sizes although the facilities look a bit tired and the atmosphere a little cold. Definitely needs more investigation.

Newark

Tiny school in Sliema, perhaps the class sizes would be a limiting factor in our children's social growth. Has to be weighed against the academic advantages of a small class size.

Andrea

Location is a bit of a  drag, but has an Italian programme that interested us, I have read that this and Anton are similar but with Andrea slightly better? Good facilities. Which is important as instilling a good level of physical activity is good and Malta isn't exactly the most svelte country in the world. Arguably spending hours upon hours in a school bus might be less beneficial than a brisk 5 mins walk.

A little about us,

We're an unapologetically anti-religious anglo-italian family, our children are six and four. Whilst we have  never actually lived in we've been visiting for about 25 years and know and understand the culture and country. Will be located in Ghaxaq initially but will relocate quite soon after arriving based on the location of the school. My office is in Ta Xbiex, but I could relocate that too.

We actively excluded some of the more religious schools, such as Edwards and De le Salle, based purely and perhaps erroneously on the overt indoctrination ( I use the word in its true sense).

georgeingozo wrote:

Mike- I don't have kids so it's not my problem.  I know several Maltese parents who are unhappy with the Catholic education of their children. I know one foreign couple who are preparing to leave the island because their child's school won't allow them to be excluded from religious (catholic) lessons

George - Not having kids, I suppose, lies the problem. Knowing several Maltese parents who are unhappy with the Catholic education is not a statistical stance I would argue my corner from.

georgeingozo wrote:

"Please leave Religion alone."  If it was religious education, ie comparing different belief systems, that's one thing, but what some parents don't like is the almost 100% focus on one. If I had children, I would want them to be taught about religions - its part of our history, and one of the things that provides colour to our society. It also helps them to make an informed choice about their beliefs, and makes us more tolerant and understanding of other peoples beliefs (or lack of).

"let's keep our advice to those who need help moving here.." which is exactly why I brought it up. For some people its important, and better for them to be aware beforehand, so they can ask questions of their schools of choice if they consider it important.

.......But it wasn't George, was it?  The original poster asked about integration into the schooling system i.e. how would his child be accepted, as an ex-pat, into the school.

....secondly your "advice", in my opinion, bordered on anti-Catholicism; by all means express an opinion, however, I would counsel a more neutral tone.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

knowledge can be a dangerous thing - if its fixed and on collision course with others of a different point of view. Not everyone agrees and rightly so...the world as a whole has different people with different views and all have to be acknowledges and considered to make the the rigth choices...for them.

quite agree, which is why education for children and them being taught to think is so important.

MikeInPoulton wrote:

The original poster asked about integration into the schooling system i.e. how would his child be accepted, as an ex-pat, into the school.

and my comment was about how some non-catholic families have strugged to gain acceptance for their child - I've heard stories of catholic children telling non-catholic children they are going to hell, and when the teachers are told, the teachers just shrug their shoulders and say its true !

Reality is, most local kids are of Catholic background, most expat kids aren't - it shouldn't matter, but it can

georgeingozo wrote:

"There is no need to post several "posts" within minutes of each other in order to build up your posting record (you have done the same on the 'other' board) to create credibility.. " yep, that's why I do it..... or maybe its because I don't like long rambling posts, and prefer to address different issues in separate posts. My credibility (or lack of it)would be no different if you halved my post count.

I suppose some people would rather see their post count rise to give the impression of credibility.....I am not one of those - unlike you George I prefer to "ramble" in one go to get my idea or opinion across - there is no need to 'step out of the kitchen at parties' only to return with another glib remark hoping for better impact.

To stay "on topic" I believe that the education system in Malta is excellent......I can say that as I am married to a product of that system. Further, I have extended family in Malta a host of nephews and nieces who have progressed well throughout their time there (one is now a pilot and another (she) is studying to become an engineer at the excellent university).  Having counseled their view, this morning on the phone, they agreed that they welcomed 'foreigners' into their class whilst they were at school as it brought 'colour and enrichment' so accepted today.

To say that you know some schools that teach the Catholic religion more than science is indefensible George......and total nonsense.  Malta shadows the national curriculum that British (and other nationalities) enjoy here - it is measured, correct and subject to inspection.

To go back to the original posters question........I believe (and it is only my opinion)that your child(ren) would have no problem integrating into the school community - indeed they would relish it (religion and all).

Oh! forgot to mention. I can only base my opinions on education from my position as a behavioral and support manager working in secondary education across the Wyre and Fylde - hey what do I know?

"To say that you know some schools that teach the Catholic religion more than science is indefensible George......and total nonsense. " - thats what I was told by friends - their kids spent more hours a week on religion than science - they maybe including after school religious education at MUSEUM, I'm not sure

"I suppose some people would rather see their post count rise to give the impression of credibility.....I am not one of those - unlike you George I prefer to "ramble" in one go to get my idea or opinion across " - I'm not saying you are wrong, just different style

georgeingozo wrote:

"I suppose some people would rather see their post count rise to give the impression of credibility.....I am not one of those - unlike you George I prefer to "ramble" in one go to get my idea or opinion across " - I'm not saying you are wrong, just different style

Fair do's

:-)

Well thank you all for taking the time and trouble to post your thoughts on this subject !!! - I see a rather lively debate has developed between some of you and several interesting and valid viewpoints have been expressed !!!
I'm very new to this forum/blogging type of communication and I was slightly concerned that I may have unwittingly opened a rather contentious " can of worms "  -  I now see this is not the case and people are just happy to air their views and this I guess , is the beauty of debate !!!
From our own point of view , ALL your comments and advice hold value for us and will no doubt be very useful when we come down in February to have a look at schools for our daughter.
At the end of the day, we will have to use our own gut instincts and judgement when deciding which school is the right one for us , providing of course that school is willing and able to accommodate us !!!
Anyway thanks so much for your thoughts and we will hopefully get to meet a few of you when we make the move next year.
Cheers,
Neil.

fergie11, I am sure everything will be ok and your daughter will accommodate sooner than you expect. at age of 7 children are usually nice with each other. at least that is what I've seen till now.
good luck :)

Thank you , I'm sure you're right !!!😊

"At the end of the day, we will have to use our own gut instincts and judgement when deciding which school is the right one for us , providing of course that school is willing and able to accommodate us !!! "

exactly....

An update to a previous post.

My wife and I went to visit a few private schools. The itinerary included, San Andrea (or Andrea, St Catherines, St Michaels, Chiswick, Newark.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Malta for a complete list.

So far our thoughts are;

Chiswick

Nowadays perhaps a little tainted and perhaps has lost the charm of the Mrs. Mangion years which made this school truly great. Other posters have hinted at bullying brought about from the mixed eco-social mix of families. Great facilities and atmosphere but large class sizes. ALL of my teacher friends state class as the single most important factor in academic education. Despite all of my prejudice, this school remains a contender.

The school has a loverly feel to it, with a strong international (read English) aspect to it. They're influenced by the UK teaching methods, so use j-o-l-l-y p-h-o-n-i-c-s (the forum kept editing this out for some reason) etc. Some like it, some people dont.. I can see why Bullying might be a bigger issue here than say San Andrea, as the jnr years share their playtimes outside, where a lot of kids share free time, observed by a handful of teachers. This is good for the kids as it teaches them about older and younger ways of playing etc. The school offers a true bi-lingual teaching program (in Italian) which interested us.

The school is a business unlike the parent association run San Andrea but you wouldn't really know this, but perhaps reflected in the amount of parent involvement and feedback. Of course, one can't really tell this until actually attending at the school. They encourage parent involvement for the early years as we saw a bunch heading out on a school outing with some parent helpers.

The commute looks like it could be challenge and the kids change location from jnrs to middle school.

They have a good amount of outside space (but this is malta so all sports areas aren't that great). I think they have two lessons per week. ( I dont remember exactly but it was less than San Andrea)

This is a great school.

Prices on average similar as San Andrea. (very approx. 1,000 eur per kid per term)

St Catherines

We were a bit disappointed. Please dont get offended by this, especially of you're one of those people who have difficulty judging how much food you consume BUT... when we arrived we saw an enormously obese boy hanging out by the headmistresses office, what a pity the poor boy.. but then we noticed that he was swigging down a big bottle of full fat lemonade ( I only hope that this was something to do with diabetes), anyway, the image provoked us to ask to enquire about a healthy eating policy. It turns out there is a canteen on the premises which isn't allowed to sell to students. It is allowed to sell to the adults (on efl courses) who walk up from the ground floor (how supervised are these adults??). Whilst our guide explained this a line of kids sporting crisp and coke and cakes and general nasty looking foods traipsed past, make of that what you will.

The outside space is adequate but unfortunately smack bang next to the busy coast road together with all the noise and pollution. The guide said that the road will be moved this year.. I guess this means serious construction work just meters from the school.

The school seemed a bit overcrowded in the early years. Generally the school feels a little bit more 'Maltese' with fewer international students. I asked about the percentage of non-maltese. I was told "There are 2-3 or three per class of about 20, so about 5-7%", I do hope thats not a reflection on the standard of Maths there ;-)

Pembroke seems like a good location so the commute might be a little easier.

I didn't get a very good impression about the Head, who seemed a little too enthusiastic about telling us the school is a family outfit and that they like to make it feel like a home. All the staff are sent ( remote learn) a course at the University of (somewhere crappy in England - Leicester maybe?) in order to keep the didactic standard high. It was a great pitch and probably delivered many times before, but she did not appreciate being challenged regarding the difficulty of disciplining or firing family members. The school looks a bit impoverished, wonder where all the money is going??

There is nothing overtly wrong with the school, the school fees are lower than others and their results are pretty decent (possibly the best).

My dislike was perhaps more personal than objective.

St Michaels.

Came recommended, reasonable class sizes although the facilities look a bit tired and the atmosphere a little cold. Definitely needs more investigation.

My wife saw this on her own, so I won't comment, we excluded since it doesnt offer the Italian programme we wanted.

Newark

Tiny school in Sliema, perhaps the class sizes would be a limiting factor in our children's social growth. Has to be weighed against the academic advantages of a small class size.

I was quite excited about this school, as on paper it sounds great. Then I saw it.

Suffice it to say we left the "tour", with a feeling that it was borderline abusive towards the kids. The building is basically an office block with a glass reception waiting area on the ground floor which doubles as the infant play area. There is very little art work on the walls and the whole school feels like visting the dentists. The doors to the classrooms do not have windows. This doesn't sound like a big deal but can you think of another school with windowless closed doors in the classrooms? There is a a reason that all schools have glass in the doors.

The headmistress/owner was in complete disarray having bought the school recently (6 months ago), but the way she was, you'd be excused feeling that the poor woman had bought the place that very morning.

The school is run as a business peddling education. It might be OK if you were in Malta for a short amount of time and had a expat deal living in Sliema and wanted a micro school for a few months.

No outside space, just a yard to eat sandwiches, like inmates.

San Andrea

Location is a bit of a  drag, but has an Italian programme that interested us, I have read that this and Anton are similar but with Andrea slightly better? Good facilities. Which is important as instilling a good level of physical activity is good and Malta isn't exactly the most svelte country in the world. Arguably spending hours upon hours in a school bus might be less beneficial than a brisk 5 mins walk.

We will probably choose this school over Chiswick! the lady running the Italian, indeed all staff we met seemed very knowledgeable and caring and were the only people who were convincing when talking about teaching methods and the welfare of the kids.

They do 4 (from memory) lessons per week of PE and the location and facilities lend themselves to a more active school. The school is located a countryside position which is a refreshing juxtaposition to the overly urban central parts. The school makes use of the Ta Qali heated swimming pool at the national stadium 5 mins down the road. 

There is good teacher to student ratio and the free times are staggered to allow only two years concurrently so older/younger kid bullying less prevalent.

I guess they have done away with the parent loan thingy others have lamented about, its now not refundable which seems far more sensible from their/my point of view.

A little about us,

We're an unapologetically anti-religious anglo-italian family, our children are six and four. Whilst we have  never actually lived in we've been visiting for about 25 years and know and understand the culture and country. Will be located in Ghaxaq initially but will relocate quite soon after arriving based on the location of the school. My office is in Ta Xbiex, but I could relocate that too.

We actively excluded some of the more religious schools, such as Edwards and De le Salle, based purely and perhaps erroneously on the overt indoctrination ( I use the word in its true sense).

I also personally know some of the owners of Chiswick, but have tried not to let that influence my thoughts of the school. Fortunately it is a good school so I am not in the awkward position in having to fib about a mates business.

brayster99 wrote:

I was told "There are 2-3 or three per class of about 20, so about 5-7%", I do hope thats not a reflection on the standard of Maths there ;-)

:D

I have kids at San Anton and San Andrea (space issues)... good number of expats in both... but If I was to pick again and there will not be space limitations I will registered all in San Andrea...

Article in Times of Malta today. 12.12.12

Teachers are not equipped to deal with religious diversity in their classrooms, according to a report on the integration of non-EU children in education.
Strategies include accompanying other children as they walk up and down the corridor to kill time and boredom
While non-Catholic students can choose to opt out of the religion lesson, centred round Roman Catholic religion, there is no alternative for them.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … nts.449232

Can anyone recommend a school for my 11 years old boy? I live in San Gwann, which is the closest boy's school for his age? Any particular documents I have to present in order to get accepted? We are from EU country...
I also have a 4 y.o - she can be registered in San Gwann Primaria already as they have kindergarten, don't they?

Hi Elesta,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Please note that this thread is a bit old :)

Feel free to start a brand new thread on Malta Forum with all your questions please ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Thanks, I will :)

Re: EU law, your children and their schooling in another EU country.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=277515

Hi, I m thinking to send my daugther to Chiswick school. I would like to know what is your opinion about this school. My daughter is just a beginner in English. Do the class size do you think this is not a good choice for her?
We have considering to choose an international school for a while like QSI or Verdala, but social and integrating is maybe better with Chiswick?
We are worried about bulling too.
I know your thread is old, but maybe you know more about this school now.
thanks in advance

Hi,

thank you brayster99 for a very detailed report! Best I found so far. Although years passed since you wrote it, could you be so kind to write how satisfied you are with the school?
Thank you!!

Also Julia1968 - can you please write your experince?
Thank you!!