Moving to Bergen,Norway... job prospects??

hi my name is Darren, i'm from Yorkshire in the UK,in the coming months I'm planning to relocate to Bergen. my partner is Norwegian and has a place in Bergen,my main concern is getting work,as i have a pretty secure job in the UK at the moment,i have over 20 years experience in the road transport and freight handling industry,hgv class one license,adr chem freight licence and recently taken drivers CPC and also a fork truck licence i'm learning Norwegian and is an on going process i speak enough to get by (just):)  and understand a lot more than i speak at this time, I'm a pretty practical person who will adapt easily to different challenges, i would just like to know how possible it is to get any type of work and what type of problems i may face? any type of help or information would be greatly received. i am really looking forward to this new life and to integrate more into the Norwegian way of life... thanks

Hello Darren.

Welcome to the forum! :)

In meantime, I invite you to read these articles on Work/Labor market in Norway.

The Jobs in Bergen section is at your disposal. Do not hesitate to post an advert there.

Good luck in your research,
Aurélie

Hi Darren, with your skill set I don't think you will find it too hard to get a job. There are lots of jobs that require forklift drivers etc.

You can check on Nav.no or Finn.no for current vacancies.... as Silver just said. I really should read all replies before typing!

Good luck with the move and job hunt! :)

Hallo.My name is Slavica,im from Macedonia.I like to move and live in Norway.I dont know how right it is that in some island its posible to work withot eu pasport,and vissa,only its need to work in that place 5 years?

Hi, is anyone here interested to work in the Philippines. We will be providing relocation package and travel assistance. Let me know by sending me a message at [email protected] Thanks a lot!

At an airport up in Northern Norway I once met a British worker who could only speak English and he had a job at the airport with one of the airlines, think freight handlinger or something - so his situation is similiar to yours.

Bergen is a good city. I think although you might need to learn Norwegian to be able to find a job, you might be able to find something like the person I told you about. There are Oil & Gas related English speaking positions in Western Norway as well, but these do not apply to you.

You mention that you want to "integrate" into the Norwegian way of life - I think you will find you might be far more outgoing than the locals in Bergen so you must take this slight difference in culture into consideration - and they love the nature.
Although it is good to be "like a Roman in Rome" , the people from Rome who settled in Brazil, America or Argentina would also have brought cultural traits with them so it is often a difficult issue - although England and Norway are both in Europe, life in England and life in Norway is quite different in many ways.

I can inform you that Bergen along with Stavanger are some of the less cold towns in Norway so you should be pleased with that! No one turns the heater off in winter in Norway, not day nor night.

gibsonguy wrote:

hi my name is Darren, i'm from Yorkshire in the UK,in the coming months I'm planning to relocate to Bergen. my partner is Norwegian and has a place in Bergen,my main concern is getting work,as i have a pretty secure job in the UK at the moment,i have over 20 years experience in the road transport and freight handling industry,hgv class one license,adr chem freight licence and recently taken drivers CPC and also a fork truck licence i'm learning Norwegian and is an on going process i speak enough to get by (just):)  and understand a lot more than i speak at this time, I'm a pretty practical person who will adapt easily to different challenges, i would just like to know how possible it is to get any type of work and what type of problems i may face? any type of help or information would be greatly received. i am really looking forward to this new life and to integrate more into the Norwegian way of life... thanks

i left my country for 20years,and just back last year 2012,and now iam plan to move to norway ,and do pratical jobs ,eveny lane norgian,any one have job for me let me know!special in Agrculture.thanks,let me know.i speack english ,little francais,swahili,kirundi,and iam good for growing hydroponics(agriculture),iam single.good lucky to any one how will have me in Norway!people let me know!

Try finn.no, jobb, Hordaland! Good luck.

Buon giorno sono Vasile vorrei trasferirmi a Bergen Norvegia con la famiglia,sono di mestiere electricista con 18 anni di esperienza, ho bambini di 14 anni e 16 anni sara difficile a inserirci nella societa Norvegese. Miei figli a settembre andranno nel 4 anno  e 1 anno di liceo sara difficile a inserire nelle scuole gli,loro parlano italiano,rumeno,inglese  buono francese e tedesco ma norvegese non sapiamo nessuno di noi sara difficile.O fato un saco di cv. ma nesuno non mia risposto ma o visto che cercano un saco di electricisti ce qualquno che mi po aiutare a transferirmi ce non rimango in debito con voi che qua non trovo niente mersi

@ Lena buju, could you please post in English in this Anglophone forum?

Thanks,
Harmonie ;)