Domestic services: availability and cost

Hi, I am retired, recently returned to Europe after 30 years in the USA and the Caribbean, and... suffering from a climate shock and a price shock (especially cost of simple services, which in Sweden cost around $50 per hour = blatant robbery!) and looking for a relatively warm European Union country with an advantageous double taxation agreement with the USA.

Malta is one such country (another is Cyprus) and thus I am considering it. But... I am retired, after a heart attack, living alone, but with pets and thus in need of domestic services - mostly weekly or twice-weekly cleaning and pet care for now, but my dependence on domestic services will likely grow in the future.

So my question is: what is the availability and cost of domestic services in Malta/Gozo? And reliability of domestic workers?

cleaner is about €5 an hour

Thanks, George. :-)

You can get live in carers for around €700 per month.  They cook, clean and generally just help out with everything.  Mostly Come from the Philippines.  There are many of them on the island already, but it's getting harder to bring in help from overseas.

Hi,

I am a private carer in Gozo and charge €8.00 an hour, not sure how many people offer private care on Gozo, but to give you an idea, if I can help further, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

References are available.

Kind regards,
Geertje

Hi all,

Please note that several posts were moved from the thread for they were either inappropriate or off topic.

Thanks
Armand

yes one of them was mine.I"d like to apologise to people who couldnt see that i was being sarcastic,and patronising.
  The whole roots thing,and people flooding over from europe was so over the top,i thought it was obvious what i was trying to say.Obviously not.
  Also,just to clarify,and ease my own conscience,my mother spent all her working life as a cleaner,and my best Maltese friend works as a cleaner.After doing 9-10 residential cleaning jobs,she supplements her meagre earnings by cooking in the Scotsman(pub in st julians)so i know how hard it is to make a living.i think its this was got me riled up.
  Once gain apologies to anyone who was offended.

thanks for the explanation :-)  Sadly there are many who support views similar to those you expressed sarcastically.

I got ‘it' Maltaforme, so no apology needed here.  Your sentiment was put across in an unusual fashion, however, I feel that you were being more ironic rather than sarcastic………but I get that too.  You are indeed right about the plight of those ‘in service' around the Island working hard to meet ends meet – some have had to make it their life's work……..and for little reward.

I too agree that there are many willing, hardworking and trustworthy local people who could work for the original poster – and for a reasonable rate.  My advice would be to wait until established in the area and then once integrated ask around locally – the original poster will be pleasantly surprised.

:rolleyes:

MikeInPoulton wrote:

I got ‘it' Maltaforme, so no apology needed here.  Your sentiment was put across in an unusual fashion, however, I feel that you were being more ironic rather than sarcastic………but I get that too.  You are indeed right about the plight of those ‘in service' around the Island working hard to meet ends meet – some have had to make it their life's work……..and for little reward.

I too agree that there are many willing, hardworking and trustworthy local people who could work for the original poster – and for a reasonable rate.  My advice would be to wait until established in the area and then once integrated ask around locally – the original poster will be pleasantly surprised.

:rolleyes:

I agree

Thanks all for the advice. I shall heed it and ask around once established. Asking early about cost and availability of such services I wanted to avoid unwelcome surprises as I found in Sweden, where hiring someone legally (due to a combination of high VAT and very high tax on labour) would make the cost exorbitant (over $50 an hour) and I do not want to get involved in the black economy on either side. I need a service and am willing to pay for it - a reasonable rate for white market work. In some developing  countries in which i worked the going rate was so low, that I paid more than what was asked, soetimes considerably more. I am not after taking advantage of anybody. Just after purchasing honest services for honest pay.

So helpful, but amazing to read about the old fashioned attitude.
My Dad was born in the British Raj, my mother comes from a well heeled British background.
We have always had a cleaning lady and gardener, a maid in Brazil and in my adult life I worked as a Nanny in London and a home help.
I have paid neighbours and more recently (in the stix) advertised for help.
None of these kind, caring, trustworthy people, have ever been considered anything less than friends, all were and are more like family members I am sorry anyone has ever had a different experience.

@Geertjeholland

@Geertjeholland

hello, I am looking for help for my son, he lives in Gozo and we are looking helper who can cook 2 meals for him, 5-6 days a week. Please let me know if you are able to help. He doesn't have any special dietary requirement except he is allergic to nuts

thank you

jay

@Geertjeholland
hello, I am looking for help for my son, he lives in Gozo and we are looking helper who can cook 2 meals for him, 5-6 days a week. Please let me know if you are able to help. He doesn't have any special dietary requirement except he is allergic to nuts

thank you
jay
-@jaypatel115

it would be advisable to start a new thread as this one is ten years old.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Off-topic. Please post an advert in the jobs section. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Arshad Khan28

Other then looking at the job section on here we cannot help you, we are not a recruitment agency.