VISA Issues

Hi all

I'm new to the group but have been living in Belgrade for about six months now and I work here as an English teacher in a private language school. I am slightly concerned because I have just learnt of a new law change that could effect my stay here and I was wondering if anyone else had come across the same thing.
As I said I work at a private English school. When I started working for the school I asked if it was necessary to obtain a working VISA, the school advised me not to do so as they would have to pay a large sum of money and informed me that I'll I would have to do is enter and exit the country every three months.
But today I have found this: http://www.belgradefvc.com/files/Rough_ … igners.pdf
Which clearly states "A foreigner who does not need a visa or a travel document to enter
the Republic of Serbia may stay in the country for a maximum
period of 90 days, within a timeframe of six months starting
from the day of the first entry."
My last trip out of Serbia was in November when I took a one week holiday to Istanbul and I had no problems returning to Serbia. I have twice spoken to the foreign office at the police station but the information is sketchy to say the least. They say that people shouldn't come back within a three months period but can't tell me if I will ever be stopped from coming back.
I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

I am interested to know if you were able to resolve these issues so far? If not, my suggestion is to contact the US Embassy in Belgrade and/or to call Serbian Consular General in Chicago...preferably both just to have all your basis covered. I have spoken with Serbian Consul Avramovic on several occasions and have learned that he is very helpful and kind.
Good luck.

samneale, I did not see your message earlier so I guess you figured it out by now. Correct, the law is changing in order to prevent people doing exactly what you have been doing. Now you cannot just "reset" your stay in Serbia by leaving the country and reentering on a new tourist visa. Croatia has had a similar law for a while, and most other countries I think.

I know those private language schools very well, what they want to avoid is employing you legally and paying TAX. The work visa/residency is, say, 130 EUR for a year, not THAT big a deal, but they want to continue paying you cash-in-hand so they avoid 10-20,000 dinars per month in social contributions and taxes. Unless of course you have a freelance contract, like an "Ugovor o delu", but with that you should be able to get a work permit, so I doubt you have that.

I thought the situation had improved, but obviously not. Try to find a school that is willing to take you on on a full contract - if they are running as a serious business then they should be willing...

My son and I plan on moving to Belgrade in October and staying through next July to pursue medical treatment. Does someone have an idea about visa requirements for such a thing? The recent postings about length of stay/visa issues are unsettling to us. Thanks so much.

This is true.  I am an English teacher here in Belgrade. I had to fight my boss tooth and nail to get my visa.  Everything was turned in for processing the day before my 90 days.  I have been in and out, but they have stopped that ability.  The Foreign Dept is sketchy about this as not all municipalities enforce this situation.  However, if you were to leave the country for whatever reason, there is no guarantee border patrol would let you back in. Safest thing to do is get a visa.  It will cost the school around 210EUR.  The tax they pay is 60% of your salary.  My boss of course hates this... there are ways to ease the "pain" for the schools... but that is up to the schools. 

I do hope things work out for you.  I do know they are getting quite serious with the in and out situation. I cannot seem to get this through some foreigners I know here and they constantly just push the fact they think they can come in and out every 90 days.

Pozdrav,

Kiki

Be careful about the visas.  I was in the country for over a year - my husband is Serbian, so I had a "temporary resident' visa.  The visa expired shortly before we were due to leave.  But according to the foreigner office, and a Serbian Embassy - I thought I could stay for the 90 days.  We were wrong. 

We got to the airport, and I was not allowed to leave.  I had to pay a fine (@95 USD)which was the least of our worries.  We were detained and treated HORRIBLY- my daughter took 2 days to recover - and we had to buy new tickets. 

The law reads that you can be in the country for 90 days EVERY SIX MONTHS.  This means that if you are in the country for 90 days and leave, you can't get back. It also means that if you are in the country on another type of visa - you can't leave and come back because you have already been in the country for 90 days.  Even the border police trying to enforce the law really don't know what it says.