Selling Cars in Malta

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to sell my car at present. I wondered if anyone had any advice on the best routes to go down. I have posted an ad on this site, Malta Park and Malta Autotrader, I was ideally looking for a fairly quick sale before christmas as I think we all know christmas is a little more expensive with 3 children in Malta than it was in the UK. Has anyone got any tips, or contacts that they could maybe recommend please?

Many thanks,

For sure forget dealers if you don't want to loose a futher 100% from your car value.  Malta Park is the best option and is free listing.  I sell many items on it!

If the price is right you will sell it.  I just sold my wife's old car (21 year old) today for 900 Euros, after 2 months.  I could have sold it earlier at cheaper price, but I wanted to wait for the right buyer.  Patience is virtue!

Leaving it in a busy road and put your mobile number ONLY on it is also a good idea if the raod licence is paid :)

"Leaving it in a busy road and put your mobile number ONLY on it is also a good idea if the raod licence is paid"

i thought that was illegal here...common i know!!!! LOL

Thanks a lot for you reply. Will try the number in the window. Cheers.

its legal to put either "for sale" or put a contact number - its illegal to put both

georgeingozo wrote:

its legal to put either "for sale" or put a contact number - its illegal to put both

And why is that illegal ? If the car has number plates and the road license is paid it should make no difference.

What's the reason for this regulation ?
Everybody knows that if there is a contact number means the car is for sale.

very curious to find out as well where the issue of illegality is coming from. It would never occur to me something like that could be illegal.

"What's the reason for this regulation ?
Everybody knows that if there is a contact number means the car is for sale."

thats the logic behind the law - you don't need both - of course, the law should really be about specifying the size and location of the sign, not whats on it

georgeingozo wrote:

thats the logic behind the law - you don't need both -

agree, you don't "need" both, but why is that considered "illegal" ?
Next time I got arrested for wearing a rain coat while also carrying an umbrella ... ;)
ahhhh, mela, I think there are much more issues here one can only accept as they are ... :D

LOL there is another arguement in there GNG..about not needing both....LOL

" but why is that considered "illegal" " - oh, thats easy, because it was passed in parliament :-)

mmm... a bit of checking and its not number or "for sale" thats allowed - its number only- its illegal to sell things in a public place without a licence, so putting "for sale" is a clear breach of the law. Putting a number isn't.....

Interesting... should selling personal stuff on a "public" website like maltapark be considered illegal as well then? Or what about houses with "for sale" signs on them?

should selling personal stuff on a "public" website like maltapark be considered illegal as well then?  - no, its not a public place

Or what about houses with "for sale" signs on them? - not if the sign is on private property

But your own registered car is a private property. Or selling your own personal car on your own private property with a "for sale" sign would not be illegal then? Still trying to rationalize the logic. It's completely different in many other countries. Not that I mind to sell the car on maltapark or put just a phone number on it, but it is a one strange law...

"Or selling your own personal car on your own private property with a "for sale" sign would not be illegal then?" - thats OK, as its on private property - its advertising it for sale whilst on public property thats the issue

"Still trying to rationalize the logic." how long have you lived in Malta ?

Over a year, but it's not enough I guess to get used to certain differences, they just keep popping up all of a sudden, like this cars "for sale" issue, that I was not aware of, and was just thinking of selling my car soon. Good to know.

"Still trying to rationalize the logic." - look for a politician or someone high up connected to a car salesman with a large private lot who wanted to stop other car dealers selling from the street and you may find the answer...

They can still keep selling, by putting just a phone number on the sign, as everyone knows that it means the car is for sale.

exactly

GHouston wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to sell my car at present.

Many thanks,

Hello,

Did you manage to sell your car?
If not, can u give me more details?

Thanks,

Andras