Better late than never

Hey everyone Firstly I wanted to mention how useful this site has been. I have actually been in Mauritius for a couple of months and certainly found some of the info very useful.

I was born and raised in England, but my father is Mauritian. I have visited several times during my youth, but during this exstended stay I have really started to appreciate this beautiful island. So much so, I applied and have since received my MAU passport.. I'm currently looking for business opportunities here, as Im actually feeling like Mauritius could become home.

I'm only here for approximately one more month, any advice would be greatly appreciated but if I just add to the growing list of friends in Maurice, then that's just fine

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy, welcome to expat-blog,

Do you know already in what kind of business you would like to be in?

You could have a look or even post on classifieds Mauritius, in section "looking for"

Good luck,
Melissa

Hey,

wassup man. Hope you are good? Like yourself i live in the UK but down here most of the time for business. I am fortunate to have my family around which makes it a lot easier to go about doing a lot of things. I am happy that you like the island very much and looking to settle down and get involved into business. It's always good to get to know more brits expats. Feel free to get in touch bro.

Hi Guy,

Same story here. I was born and raised in the UK, with an English mother and Mauritian Father. After visiting a few times for holidays, my wife and I made a lifestyle choice to move to Mauritius and have been here a couple of years now. I can, without any doubt, say it was one of the best decisions we ever made.

Good look with making plans and feel free to give me a shout if I can offer any advice about the process.

Regards,

Paul

Hi all,

i am a Brit too, but have been living in New York for the past 10yrs, and i just moved here to Grand Baie with my wife and 3.5yr old daughter 2 weeks ago for work too.

always willing to network and connect with fellow expats here, and fellow Brits of course!

Hi Guy,

I'm also English, having been in Mauritius recently for a month or so with my Mauritian wife and daughter, sorting residency/passport and work issues like you.

Hopefully back within a few months depending on how things play out...

Good luck with your move!

David.

David.

Hey Guy and Paul,

I noticed that you both had Mauritian fathers and were raised in the UK...just like me!

I am going to be living in Mauritius to see if I want to make a permanent move here. What is your advice on a Mauritian passport? Did you get dual nationality? Do you still use your British passports? I currently have a British passport but I am entitled to a Mauritian one as well.

Thanks!

Hi everyone

Sorry for the delay in reply. Ryan, yes I got dual citerzenship. It was surprisingly easy. But make sure you bring your original birth certificate, your fathers birth certificate and his naturalisation certificate. (If he now holds a uk passport)

Get the application from the passport office in port Louis, it's quite straight forward. The hardest part for me was getting a police officer to sign the application, in relation to confirmation of my address in MAU.

You have to get the MAU identity card before you can complete the passport application, which can take a couple of days.

Now I use the MaU passport to enter and the Uk one if I'm flying back to the UK (depending on my length of stay)

Still not made the move myself, but finding it increasingly hard to stay away lol.  Any other questions, feel free to ask and I will try to assist

Mohammed, Nik,David and Paul. So sorry for the delay in reply. Hope your all doing well. Have are you all settling ?

Hi Ryan,

Apologies from me too, regarding the late reply.

Yes, I also have dual nationality, and similarly us my MU passport coming into and leaving Mauritius, and and my UK passport for everything else.

I also found the process of obtaining my passport pretty straightforward, but it is a lot easier here in Mauritius. I originally tried in the UK, but that was just way more complicated.

Feel free to contact me if you want any pointers on what to do or where to go.

Regards,

Paul