Seeking Tenancy

I arrive in Malta in December and would like to find a rental as close to one hundred fifty Euros a month as possible - based on long term rates to about next April or longer, from the middle of the month. A unlimited highspeed wireless internet connection is a requirement for me to be able to access my study information. 

Sorry because I prefer to share with no more than one other person ( girl, guy, student, professional, etc ) but HAVE NO PROBLEM LIVING WITH A SINGLE PARENT that has a child, kids or pets LIKE A host FAMILY.

Please be prepared to video chat with me via IMO.IM, GTalk, Skype or AIM for serious inquiries.

would that be utilities on top of the € 150 ?

georgeingozo wrote:

id hope so.....that wouldnt get you a room in the popular areas

toonarmy9752 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

id hope so.....that wouldnt get you a room in the popular areas

thats what I was thinking, esp if want unlimited high speed internet

I guess some people missed the ( long term or sharing ) part and either way there are several places, including hotels with similar rates.

Who said anything about needing to be somewhere popular as long as the apartment is clean and comfortable - the majority of areas from Bugibba down to Sliema would be easy enough for me to take a bus, maybe even bicycle, etc.

A unlimited high speed internet connection seems to be the normal ANYWHERE I ever been but whatever, I can always use the various free hot spots in Malta.

I saw the long term bit, but 5 months isn't long term

Hotels for €5 a night!  The rats pay more than that! :-)

[Moderated]

@GeorgeinGozo ... Sorry if I missed the opportunity for your assistance - but I wrote that there are hotels that were offering similar prices and I see no reason to pay more than two hundred Euros a month, if a five star establishment with full amenities minus internet or clothes washing is available for a little less than three.

A little strange considering I pay less to live in Barcelona sharing an apartment with one friend than what seems to be accessible in Malta ????????

you didn't answer my question "would that be utilities on top of the € 150 ?"

Hi PEP.

you should keep an eye on the forums housing thread. It is one of the best places to find shared accomodation. You can usually find a room in a shared appartment for around 200 € including utilities although I think anything less would mean sharing the room with someone in a shared appartment.

A quick check of the prices of the 5 ***** hotels in Sliema and St. Julians for long-let (more than 4 weeks) delivers prices from 70 €/night onwards from December excluding breakfast in most cases. But most don't offer free W-LAN in the rooms. So I don't know where you comparison price comes from.

A two ** hotel (ex. Milano Due) comes in at 20 €/night in December.

I know a very nice hostel in Sliema but they charge around 17 € for a 4-bed shared room but they have a self-catering kitchen and have lockers for valuables.

Why do you think that Malta is cheaper than Barcelona?

Cheers
Ricky

georgeingozo wrote:

I saw the long term bit, but 5 months isn't long term

i too saw the long term bit - but do you really think that saying you want long term is going to make that much difference on a 5 months let - not here my friend...long term in estate agents terms is anything over 6 months...but in reality long term here is more than a couple of years...

200 euros a month in a hotel - i dont think so!!!! if so then please feel free to enlighten me

i think maybe you are expecting a lot for the money but - good luck in your search

PEP wrote 'A little strange considering I pay less to live in Barcelona sharing an apartment with one friend than what seems to be accessible in Malta ????????'

And therein lies your problem. I infer that you are comparing the two. You shouldn't. No one should and expect them to be comparable.
Different economies for one thing.

expectation is one thing - reality is another

theres probably more people living in barcelona and its surrounding areas than on the whole island of malta....

we are not being funny or laughing just trying to help you - the reality here is a stark one for many

toonarmy9752 wrote:

theres probably more people living in barcelona and its surrounding areas than on the whole island of malta....

4x as many ! 1.6m v 400,000

as redmiks said "economy"

Its one of the mistakes most of us make (including me) when first moving to a new country - comparing the price of each item, and saying this is more, this is less than what I'm used to.

georgeingozo wrote:

Its one of the mistakes most of us make (including me) when first moving to a new country - comparing the price of each item, and saying this is more, this is less than what I'm used to.

I agree, one cannot compare but if one does do so then it is the overall cost of living balanced with the quality of life, based upon on an individual's needs/aspirations, that should be compared.

i think everyone does it and many still do (even the maltese still do in terms of converting every price back into LM, despite there being no such currency here now for five full years)- and its not really the best way or idea to continue to do so..

one of the things one must accept is that we spend euros. converting those prices back to your own national currency is not a good thing....

@Ricky

Greetings Rick,

I submitted a totally isolated post earlier about my experience booking a deal in a hurry before checking the information about the site like reviews and WhoIs then realized ten minutes later it was a scam but I was lucky enough to escape that with no loss of money - thus learning a lesson.

The prices I found afterwards in a few hotels I verified thoroughly including mail correspondence, visiting their actual webpages and searching information published to their facsimile numbers BUT I CHOSE NOT TO DO IT BECAUSE I WORRY THAT STAYING AT SUCH A PLACE COULD CAUSE ME PROBLEMS WITH ANY PAPERWORK I NEED TO FILE IN MALTA, being interpreted as temporary ... which would only be the case in the event I fail to find a job.

A shared room would be considerable for me but again, with the assumption the apartment was clean and comfortable, the other person friendly, etc. My diet is rather tricky as a Vegetarian turning more and more to Vegan as time progresses so self catering is usually better for me.

I definitely admit I assumed the costs there would be lower than almost anywhere in Europe but I accept some blame for that if not the case and want to add that I got that impression from sporatic information I found on the internet.

ricky wrote:

Hi PEP.

you should keep an eye on the forums housing thread. It is one of the best places to find shared accomodation. You can usually find a room in a shared appartment for around 200 € including utilities although I think anything less would mean sharing the room with someone in a shared appartment.

A quick check of the prices of the 5 ***** hotels in Sliema and St. Julians for long-let (more than 4 weeks) delivers prices from 70 €/night onwards from December excluding breakfast in most cases. But most don't offer free W-LAN in the rooms. So I don't know where you comparison price comes from.

A two ** hotel (ex. Milano Due) comes in at 20 €/night in December.

I know a very nice hostel in Sliema but they charge around 17 € for a 4-bed shared room but they have a self-catering kitchen and have lockers for valuables.

Why do you think that Malta is cheaper than Barcelona?

Cheers
Ricky

"I definitely admit I assumed the costs there would be lower than almost anywhere in Europe " - Malta is a very highly densely populated country, which has meant land prices are higher than many European countries - as a consequence, property prices are somewhat higher than you would anticipate given the income levels - this impacts rental prices.

@Redmik ... I just thought the cost of living in general, in Malta, would be less than Barcelona but naturally I expect this or that to fluctuate depending on various factors.

Ciao

redmik wrote:

PEP wrote 'A little strange considering I pay less to live in Barcelona sharing an apartment with one friend than what seems to be accessible in Malta ????????'

And therein lies your problem. I infer that you are comparing the two. You shouldn't. No one should and expect them to be comparable.
Different economies for one thing.

:/ >>>>>>:| >>>>>>:(

The above is me thinking about your statement, assessing the validity and then my final expression after realizing the situation.

I can surely understand that explanation.

georgeingozo wrote:

"I definitely admit I assumed the costs there would be lower than almost anywhere in Europe " - Malta is a very highly densely populated country, which has meant land prices are higher than many European countries - as a consequence, property prices are somewhat higher than you would anticipate given the income levels - this impacts rental prices.

" I just thought the cost of living in general, in Malta, would be less than Barcelona but naturally I expect this or that to fluctuate depending on various factors. "

- it probably is overall - its certainly a lot cheaper than London -

Hi PEP,

I hope your assumptions as to getting residency in Malta turn out to be correct.

I have seen several American friends arriving in Malta and having to leave without finding a job and their residency or tourist visa expiring.

What kind of work will you be looking for to gain residency?

Things that make Malta cheaper than some other places are things like not having to pay for heating (but being a bit cold indoors in winter), not having to pay council taxes and garbage collection,saving on health insurance (if you have entitlement to free health care ). They don't apply if you've never lived in the UK or Germany or other EU countries.
Direct food costs( even local vegis) or other articles of everyday life (especially if imported) seem to be more expensive than most larger countries due to lack of real competition between the stores.

Cheers
Ricky

@Ricky :cool:

I put that into perspective following the short precise explanation @GeorgeinGozo provided me and I expect to be happy with just about any normal job in the beginning but if not then I can always return to Spain or America.

ricky wrote:

Hi PEP,

I hope your assumptions as to getting residency in Malta turn out to be correct.

I have seen several American friends arriving in Malta and having to leave without finding a job and their residency or tourist visa expiring.

What kind of work will you be looking for to gain residency?

Things that make Malta cheaper than some other places are things like not having to pay for heating (but being a bit cold indoors in winter), not having to pay council taxes and garbage collection,saving on health insurance (if you have entitlement to free health care ). They don't apply if you've never lived in the UK or Germany or other EU countries.
Direct food costs( even local vegis) or other articles of everyday life (especially if imported) seem to be more expensive than most larger countries due to lack of real competition between the stores.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello.

To note that some off topic messages have been moved.

Can you please concentrate on the initial topic?

Thank you,
Aurélie

The months I plan to stay can be extended into June if it holds some value to finding long term arrangements but I thought maybe the prices further increase around Spring ?????

[Moderated: Off topic]

@GeorgeinGozo ... I imagine going anywhere from London makes an easier transition !!!!!       :o

What would be the cost of internet ( a normal unlimited Digital Subscriber Line ) in London versus Malta, like with Melita ?????

The normal rates to me is about twenty to thirty Euros a month but you sometimes get hit with surcharges such as this or that tax and need to apply for a contract, bundle it with a telephone, etc !!!

georgeingozo wrote:

- it probably is overall - its certainly a lot cheaper than London -

[Moderated: Off topic]

PEProChef wrote:

What would be the cost of internet ( a normal unlimited Digital Subscriber Line ) in London versus Malta, like with Melita ?????

I pay 16.50,- per month for the basic 15Mbps unlimited Internet from Melita.
In Austria the monthly costs have been 35,- for slower internet.
On the other hand the rate per minute for my prepaid mobile telephone is 0.25 here and it was only 0.06,- in Austria.

So things really cannot be sinfully compared to other countries.

Markus

@MATM911 ... Thanks but can you also offer me an idea of whether your line is under contract and if so how long or if you know of them ( MELITA ) offering anything month to month, half the year, etc ????

matm911 wrote:
PEProChef wrote:

I pay 16.50,- per month for the basic 15Mbps unlimited Internet from Melita.
In Austria the monthly costs have been 35,- for slower internet.
On the other hand the rate per minute for my prepaid mobile telephone is 0.25 here and it was only 0.06,- in Austria.

So things really cannot be sinfully compared to other countries.

Markus

I'm sure there is a minimum subscription period, but I do not know the details. I only pay the monthly fee as long as I rent the property.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

long term in estate agents terms is anything over 6 months...but in reality long term here is more than a couple of years...

I am with you here...in my case I was able to talk about Long Term rent since I signed for 2 years...  One year is standard and shorter terms you might be prepared to pay extra for the "flexibility" convenience.

@ToonArmy9752 + @ALF007 ...

I imagined a TRUE long term contract to be a year normally ( hence the term annual ) when dealing with lease agreements in a formal manner like using a real estate agency but I was anticipating a little flexibility when renting from a private owner.

Thanks and no matter what I think I plan to stay no less than six months now anyway - that way I get to experience the winter and early summer !!!!!!!   

Ciao

"I imagined a TRUE long term contract to be a year normally ( hence the term annual ) " - annual describes something lasting one year, not whether its long term (on not)

"I plan to stay no less than six months now anyway" all a landlord will care about is how long you guarantee to pay the rent for - no less than six months = six months