Where can I find Vegemite in México City, D.F?

Hi there, so I am an Aussie expat residing in México since 2006. I love Mexican food but just lately I have found myself with a craving for Vegemite. I have been looking around in places like the international food section of the Comercial Mexicana and Chedraui to no avail.

Does anyone know either where I could either A.) get Vegemite in the general Mexico City area or B.) if I could import this myself?

I tried getting some into the country on my last trip in my carry on, but in LAX they stopped me and threw it out without my consent (Gringos!).

Muchas gracias!

Hello matt82 and welcome to expat-blog,

I hope our members will be able to help you soon.

Melissa

Hi Matt,

I lived in Australia for a while and fell in love with Vegimite, it is always quite a celebration when I can get my hands on some of it.

I think unfortunately its impossible to buy the product itself in Mexico, I usually get my hands on some when I visit places like Whistler, Canada (lots of aussies there, so its sold on stores) or when someone traveling from Australia brings some back.

Vegimite is banned on the US so thats probably why they took it from you on LAX, however if you place it on your checked bag its likely to arrive undisturbed to your final destination (thats how I brought mine some years ago)

So, our best hope is to get someone to carry a full bag of vegimite from australia.....

Vegemite is not banned in the US. It can not be imported, but travelers can bring in Vegemite for their own use. Vegemite rumor

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Fortunately about a month ago I ran into a fellow Aussie expat at a small trade show. I was able to coerce her out of her last jar of Vegemite for around $80 Mexican pesos. I feel a little guilty in retrospective but god I missed it!

Have a good one.

My house mate is going back to Australia in a couple months, and heŽs got like two jars, maybe I can tell him to leave them to you, regards!

I would certainly buy them!

Cool IŽll tell him when I see him and I will let you know

G'day Matt,

I too am an Aussie living in Mexico. I am actually in Australia right now and will be leaving to return to Mexico tomorrow. I can bring some back for you if you like.

Just shoot me an email at [email protected] to confirm that you'd like me to, and I will be very happy to help a fellow happy vegemite.

Cheers

Hey Aaron, sorry I didn't see your message in time, I guess I am too late to take you up on that offer?

Cheers!
Matt.