Living in Dubai

:D Hello, my family and I have relocated to Dubai form the USA in January of 2007. I have read a few threads, and they are not the slightly bit accurate (at least the one I've read).

So, if there's anyone with a question or two, post it here and I'll try to answer as best as I can!

Is it really harsh living in Dubai as a women?

Chanel, harsh in what way? The weather in summer is harsh, that's all, nothng else is harsh. I think you're mistaking Dubai for Saudi Arabia.

I have been travelling in & out of Dubai since 2002. I have lived in 6 cities in 6 countries in the last 10 odd years, have travelled extensively in Mid-East, North & East Africa & South East Asia as well .. so I can tell you that women in Dubai do not live like those women in the post-conflict countires I have lived in nor those countries I have visited. You see women in mini skirts on one hand and women in abaya on the other. As a woman, I have often travelled to Dubai alone with no problems at all. It's matter of choice for the expat women, if that is your question.

I was offered a job in Dubai.  I was just wondering if you could give me some advice on moving.  I'm trying to think of all the questions I should ask before accepting this job.  I just want to make the right decision.

jm-walters, the most important thing is to get accommodation as part of the package. At the very least, make sure you get a good accommodation allowance with an increase each year. If you have children you need to get schooling as part of the package too because that's also expensive..

My company will be paying for housing, food, and transportation.  Just thinking unforeseen cost.

Hi bugzy112. I'm just wondering about your experience relocating in Dubai. I'm also in the US thinking about moving as I'm in the construction/design industry and Dubai right now is the center of that universe. I think most of the interesting building projects are in Dubai right now and I'm really intrigue and wants to be part of the action. My worry is the lifestyle change compared to a typical american life. I'm married with two young kids. I want the move to be a great experience not just for me but also for my wife and kids. I'm already making a 6 figure salary right now that allows us to have a pretty good lifestyle. I'm just afraid that it will be a big letdown once we get there. How's the culture, schools, amenities, etc. compare to the US? By the way, I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Response from other posters would be appreciated too.

Not being American I can't give you a comparison. But Dubai is a true international city, perhaps the only true one because the local people make up only about 20% of the population. We have what all modern international cities have in the way of facilities - schools, hospitals, hotels, restaurants, clubs, sporting activities etc etc etc. There's simply too much to talk about to put it here.
I suggest you check out various websites and blogs to get background. You could go to www.dubaicityguide.comwww.godubai.comwww.thebestofdubai.comwww.gulfnews.com  for example. To get personal views, my own blog is at http://dubaithoughts.blogspot.com and that has links to others.

Hi,

I've been offered a procurement position with a large building material company in the UAE. I would be working in the Jebel Ali area.

They just sent me their first offer as follows:

- Base Salary:                       210 000 AED / year
- Accommodation Allowance:   75 000 AED / year
- Car Allowance:                     20 500 AED / year

The package also includes 30 days vacation along with flights for my family and I (Wife and 2 children, 3 year old twins). SO the package is worth about 300k / year.

I am very interested in the position offered and the thought of relocating. But, the package seems low.

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys. What is the true cost of living in Dubai? Does it make sense to move my family from Canada to Dubai for 300k per year? Is it common practice in Dubai to send a counter offer?

Please help.

Shab