Moving to budapest - yes or no?

Hi everyone,

I`ve got job offer form a company located in Budapest. My gross salary amount would be 1600EUR and my rental costs would be covered for the maximum amount of 400EUR.

I would be thankful if you could give me yours opinions on the salary and rental costs that are offered to me and if I could live normal life and at the same time save some of my salary money?

Note that Im not so much wastful with my money.

Thanks a lot! Chears!

Hello pwnasonic.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can read the other threads on Cost of living in Budapest.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Aurelie,

I have read it, but I'm wondering what are government's plans (tax, rises in prices) for the year 2013 as I am then planning to move to Budapest.

Thanks!

Hello pwnasonic,

I hope our members will soon be able to answer your question.
You could also have a look to our forum Hungary, you might also get some of your answers there.

Good luck,
Melissa

Thank you all for your tips.

What district would you advise me to rent apartment? my job is in district I. I would like to be close to my job but also prefer alternative scene,clubs and I love jogging.

Thanks!

Bok Pwnasonic,

Cost of living-wise you shall expect an increase of the gas pries (10%), water and sewage (sub 10%) and electricity (5%ish).
EUR 400 would either land you in a 'Hungarian reality' 1-2 bedroom property with everything included OR in a max. 1 bed furnished nice standard apartment without utilities and common cost (you can calculate with a 100 - 150 EUR on top).

Personal Income taxes are due to stay at 16% but there are changes within the calculation. N.B. It is way to complicated to explain it here.

Also, as far as legal changes are going from 1 Jan 2013 you shall only see rental properties advertised with Energy Performance Certificates. This would help you assess different options' utilities bill. However, this might not come alive as it has been delayed from 1 Jan 2012.
District 1 is probably on the duller and more expensive area. If alternative scenes and proximity to great jogging is important for you the best bet would be either District 2 just off of Margit Bridge or District 13 - close to Szent István park. If you want a bigger stock to browse through then you would add locations close to tram 4-6 (for jogging) and red underground (for commuting to District 1, especially if you would work close to the Déli Metro Station). The later crossing would fall into District 7 around Blaha, that is ok towards the Sinagogue.

N.B. Gas and heating is a more pronounced cost element in Budapest, then in Rijeka for example or even Zagreb.

Hope my answers have helped to settle a few questions!

Cheers,

Dezso

Disclaimer: I am running a relocation company and we do have a private beta rentals solution where you can already see energy performance grades for properties with fine landlords only.

It would help to know your family status and approximate age, e.g. what kind of apartment you must have(kids and other pets:). Anyway, hungary is apparently cheaper than croatia.
A net salary of around 800EUR + 400EUR  is an amount most hungarians would be quite happy with, but mid-aged executives make more. (Younger people in the IT consulting world would have such, some of them even higher salaries). A young university researcher's salary after phd is around 520eur p.m. after taxes, but that really does not allow for luxury.

Please browse this forum to find similar threads within this year.

I don't live in Budapest, but your request moved me to write and say, yes, I notice you are careful with your money. But don't be too careful! I will pray for you.