Yarn shop, knitting club in Malta

We are moving soon and I would like to know if anyone knows a yarn shop in Malta? My internet search so far has failed me.
Also is there a knitting club or anyone would be interested starting one? I am a stay at home mum of two and I have some experience teaching knitting and crochet for beginners and crafts for children. I would be happy to show the basics to anyone who might be interested or just sit around, knit and chat with like minded souls.

HELLO PEVI, that would be lovely i started going to a mum and toddler group in dublin just before moving here and there was a group of us who would knit, in fact i learned only the basics but i used to enjoy it. Let's keep in touch and when you come over we can talk about it, i will mention it to the mums i've met so far ;)
Giuseppina

I love to knit and crochet both.  My current obsession is knitting lace.  It took a while but I finally taught myself.  Unfortunately there are no yarn shops on Malta but I do order my yarn from the UK.  I would strongly recommend that you stock up before you come.  By the way, I need some yarn your might be able to find for me--if I may be so forward to ask.  Feel free to email me at [email protected]  And I would love to start a knitting group with you!

Hi,
I really enjoy crocheting, especially amigurumi. I'm not very good but I still think it's great fun! I would definitely like to meet up for a knitting/crocheting club.
There is a little yarn/needle works/sewing shop on Constitution Street in Mosta. I'm not sure if it has a website. It's not very big and rather cramped but it is definitely much better than nothing.

I'm also a keen knitter - if this gets going I'd be happy to join in :)

The Wool Shop in Msida and also another in Sliema (name escapes me for a minute)  There are also a couple of places in Valletta.

Brace yourself though, the wool here is more expensive than UK.

xx
If you google crafts, knitting malta you should get a few groups come up.

I have been very pleasantly surprised about all the interest in knitting and crocheting.  I do both and am more than willing to organize an expat knitting circle starting in January after Christmas.  Knitting has always been my favorite winter sport!  I am also interested in learning to do the beautiful Maltese bobbin lace.  If anyone knows someone who can do it Please let me know.

HAPPY KNITTING!
Mrellan

I live in the south of the island. There are a number of shops here that sell yarn. MTS crafts at Zabbar sell fancy yarns. All of course more expensive then UK. One stall at the Inspire Sunday Car Boot has a lot of yarn which is reasonably priced.
If there is a knitting/crochet group in the South, or in Valletta than I would love to join. Will be watching with interest!

Mrellan wrote:

I have been very pleasantly surprised about all the interest in knitting and crocheting.  I do both and am more than willing to organize an expat knitting circle starting in January after Christmas.  Knitting has always been my favorite winter sport!  I am also interested in learning to do the beautiful Maltese bobbin lace.  If anyone knows someone who can do it Please let me know.

HAPPY KNITTING!
Mrellan

That sounds really great. I see you are in Bugibba. I'm in Qawra, so a knitting circle in this area would be brilliant. Definitely count me in! Were you thinking of meeting in a café or at someones house? What sort of time of day and week were you thinking?

If you contact the University of Malta, I believe they actually run a course for the Maltese lace.xx

@Mrellan,
Ministry of Education and Employment/Directorate of Lifelong Learning holds Maltese bobbin lace making courses for very friendly fees. You can get more information here:
http://www.eveningcourses.gov.mt/course … urseId=152

Dear All,
thank you for your positive responses. I am stocking up on yarn to make sure I will not run out:)

As for the knitting club, I have two options on my mind. I am home with our two children so either I would like to meet up during the day with other mothers (of course anyone could join, who has free time and does not mind children) in a child friendly place or a meeting in the evening, when hopefully my partner will look after the kids for couple of hours.
Are there any nice cafes, book shops or other places with children corner?
We will be in Malta in two weeks time and I hope to meet all of you soon.

Hi everone,

thank your again for your positive responses. We are already in Malta settling down in our new flat in Gzira. Christmas is approaching fast, but it would be great to meet after the festivities and start the new year with some crafting. I am very new to the area, but does anyone have any recommendation for a place to meet (cafe, club, public libary)?
Would you be interested to meet during the day or in the evening?

I would be happy to offer our place, but it is freezing cold here, so either I have to wait for spring to come or get home heaters.

Evi

I live in Qawra on the Promenade, it is pretty easy to find.  I would love to have a knitting group meet here at my home and we have a nice big livingroom.

I knit, crochet and even do a number of different crafts and would not mind teaching anyone who wants to learn.

Mrellan Harahan
[email protected]

Hi, I would love to join a knitting/crocheting group in Qawra. Definitely count me in. I would prefer meeting during the day.
Thanks for the offers of hosting the meetings at your places! Really nice!

Evi, Welcome to Malta

Sorry I could not get to Qawra very easily as I live in Marsaskala. right in the south of Malta. I will  still like to be part of the group and maybe if you have any projects please keep me up tp date.

Merry Christmas to all.
Janice.

[email protected]

Count me in once we arrive in January and get to know Malta a bit! So glad to hear knitting and crocheting is not only my hobby:)

Hi Pevi.

We are looking to move over next year and would love to get together as I also have a child and have an interest in knitting and crochet.

How old are your children? Mine is 2 years. Would she be too young to mingle with your little ones?

Great idea by the way! X

Mrellan, thank you for your kind offer. I have checked and probably I could get to your place from Gzira easily (the arriva journey planner still confuses me).
If we are  going to meet at your place then I would prefer evenings, so I can leave the children with their daddy.
Dana, my daughter was 2 in August and I am sure she would like to have a playmate.
I have not given up to find a public place to meet with our without children. I am going tomorrow to check out Playzone, maybe there is a quite corner to sit, knit and chat while the children are playing.

I think we should meet, stay in touch to see which solution is working best, we can alternate venues and times to try to include everyone who is interested to meet.

Good idea!

I hope it is well established by the time I come over.  I really hope you get enough interest. Maria was 2 in October and I'm sure she would love to meet new friends. I had better add my needles and wool to my shipment list!

I'll be watching this post with much interest!

x

Hi Dana. Bring yarn and patterns over with you. Yarn is more expensive here also I have problems getting patterns. Any I need I usually have to get from a free site and they are never quite what I want. Or I get them from eBay.
Good luck with the packing!!!!! I do not envy you.
J.

Hi J.
What type of patterns do you look for? I go to a lot of boot fairs in the UK and can certainly keep a look out for them as you tend to see a lot of them dirt cheap. I'll keep me eyes open and try and get some then we could also share them at the group?

As for the packing, I'm starting to have a sort out now to save leaving it til the last minute. I wish teleporting was an option!

Luggerbugs,

if you want free patterns, check raverly.com, they provide thousands and thousands of free patterns both for crocheting and knitting. You just need to register first but it is free so really no hassle.

Or check "Crochet Kingdom (E.H)" or "Omaima Hassan" on Facebook. Tons and tons of patterns and inspiration.

If only I was spending as much time crocheting as looking and searching for new patterns:D

EVERYONE--
I too have had great luck with ravelry.  They have literally thousands of patterns and on this site.  I also have a lot of patterns printed up and have no problem doing copies for anyone who wants them--I also have a all on one printer. 

How about Thursday, January 3rd, at 7:00 pm.  I would also be willing to do one in the afternoon at say 2:00 so that those that can't make one can make the other. Once we get organized we can try to find a time that works for as many as possible.

From my count it looks like we may have 10-12 people interested.  I LOVE IT!!!

Pass the word, I also teach both knitting and crochet and do just about all of it including lace. 

If you are interested send me an email at [email protected]  and I will send you my address.  Be sure to let me know what time is best for you.
Mrellan Harahan

Thank you s much for the info. I am not looking for patterns at the moment as I have just started a chunky cardigan. I am sure that this will take me ages. Before the age of computers I would have had it finished in a week or 2! Now it will be a month or more :rolleyes: Have a good Christmas everyone and catch up in the New Year. Best Wishes. Janice.

Hello everyone! We are settled, son is in kindergarten full time finally so I really would like to start some yarn action:) Would be anyone interested joining me for a chat and some crafting any day between Monday and Friday. We live in Gzira (close to different bus stops) about 3 min walk from the seafront. I would be happy to host a knitting club weekly between about 9.30-12. I have a 2.5 yo daughter home with me so children are welcome as well.

If you are interested PM me and I will send directions and my phone number.

Cheers

Evi

Keep calm, carry yarn! :)

Luggerbugs wrote:

Evi, Welcome to Malta

Sorry I could not get to Qawra very easily as I live in Marsaskala. right in the south of Malta. I will  still like to be part of the group and maybe if you have any projects please keep me up tp date.

Merry Christmas to all.
Janice.

[email protected]

hi Janice
I'm new to commenting on this site (although my
husband is always on).
We are moving to Malta and hoping to settle in the Marsaskala, I love crafting, knitting and sewing. I dont have young children, as they are both grown up, but would love to join a group and make new friends. Is it a nice area and shops there?
would love to hear from you if something is set up.
susan :)

What perfect timing... we land in Malta on Wednesday.... I am not a knitter, but I am a stitcher... and very up for a mixer!

Will be back when we have landed :D

wished we were arriving in Malta

Hi SillyPennyP,

all crafters are welcome, even those who never tried but would like to learn.

Evi

Dear Sue,
I live in Marsaskala, when you arrive or if you are already here the please contact again and we can meet up over a coffee and have a long chat.
Quite a lot of places to get yarn and material here.
Take Care. Look forward t meeting up.
Janice.

hi janice
thank you very much we are not there yet just now waiting for our house to sell but have done alot of researching on malta. Marsaskala is the place we have decided to try and settle or surrounding areas. I hope it isnt too long for us to move out there, we were hoping to have moved by now but things pending etc.
Hope I can meet up with you soon!
many thanks
susan

Hi Sue,
You can email me [email protected]    I love living in Marsaskala. Been here 10 years and would not want to live anywhere else.

If there is anything I can help you with please just ask.

Good luck with the house, not easy anywhere in the world these days!

Take Care, Janice.

Evi... thanks for the warm welcome :D

We have landed now, and are house hunting, as soon as we have a house we can ship our belongings and my craft boxes! (Although I plan on checking out the local craft shops, starting tomorrow!)

I look forward to taking you up on your invitation sometime soon!  :D

Thanks

Hi,

so far I have found two local yarn shops (we live in Gzira). One is in Msida in the Marina, called The Wool Shop, the other one is in Manwel Dimech Street closer to M&S end. Both sell mostly 100% acrylic yarns and blends in quite old fashioned colorways and patterns.

I am planning to order some yarn online. Any recommendation for an online shop with a good selection (not too expensive but natural fibre yarns). I used to get my yarns for my LYS as I prefer to touch before I buy so I have no experience with online yarn sellers.

Thanks

Evi

I am planning to have the first knitting club on Wednesday 22nd of May from 9.30 am, if interested pls. send a private message.

Good evening all :D

I went into Mosta today to look at a craft shop... John C Vella at 95 Trig Kostituzzjoni... an Aladins cave for crafters and stitchers! 

And the lady was so nice :D

Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can get felt and fabrics?

Fgura has 3 good fabric shops. Biba's and B4, Also at the Galleria in Fgura, JB Stores has an outlet. You can look these up on the net,

I have found a small wool shop on the Marsaskala bypass which is now stocking the American Lion Brand yarn. I will find out the name and post it on here.

Hope you find what you need. Janice.

hi there we are moving to malta in january so a while yet i have a 2 half year old daughter and will be working part time only i enjoy knitting very very bascis like scarves he he !! would eb  nice to meet keep my email address and feel free to email me anytime, thank you laura
[email protected]

I order my  yarns through Filati.com.. Great yarns and instructions.. there are no good yarn stores in Malta

Bebop Sue wrote:

wished we were arriving in Malta

Bless ya hun, we will be soon :cool: