Self-Employment

Hi!  I'm wondering how self-employment works for expats in Uruguay.  Do you necessarily need a work permit?  What if all your business is done over the Internet with people in one's country of origin (USA)?

How do your answers change if the self-employed person is trying to get residency?
What if you gain residency and later wish to start a new company - how difficult would that be?

The more details, the better!
Also, if you wish to refer me to an official website, that would be all right, but I'd love it if you summarized it in English if possible.  I can speak and read a lot of Spanish, which is part of my interest in Uruguay, but English is preferred for the moment, being much quicker and easier for me to read.

Thanks a lot!
C

They are going to want to know your source of income to make sure you are not a burden on the country.  If you are internet based you are not a business in their country so that's not a problem (I have two companies, both internet based, and I live in Panama but sell to American's mostly).  I just need a good internet connection.

Have you visited Uruguay?  Do you know what area you want to live in? 

There is a group of expats who meet every Sunday in Montevideo.  Some of them have been in the country over 10 years.  We met with them when we visited the country last year.  Uruguay was one of the places we thought about moving too.  Still an option actually.  I was offered a job by a local which would help with residency tremendously.  To get your residency you have to invest quite a bit of money, or buy property in the $100,000 range.  There are ways to get residency but just operating via internet isn't it.

The bigger issue is renting.  Make sure you find someone who is reputable and who is really able to rent you a place.  And if you can pay 6 months of rent in advance you might have an easier time renting. 

Beautiful country.  Enjoy it.