Does the media Sensationalize Canada?

I did some research online about Canada some time ago. And i was excited about what i found:
Plenty of jobs for expats
Country not affected by the economic crise
super friendly population
cost of living low
crime rate low
so i had unrealistic expectations until i read the posts in this forum i snapped back into reality.
I see frustrated people about the immigration process, jobs, canadians...THAT'S the reality.

Hi Hericles,

First of all to answer your questions about Canada not being effected by the economic crisis and employment for foreigners.

You can well imagine, given the fact that Canada and the USA share a common border that is 3987 miles in length and a further 1538 miles between Canada and the US state Alaska to the north and considering that approx. 85% of the Canadian population lives in a tiny 300 Km. ribbon of land that runs along the Canada/USA border; if the USA sneezes Canada catches a cold too. Certainly Canada was effected by the economic crisis and rather badly. It is now hard enough for Canadians to find jobs so it stands to reason that it's going to be harder for foreigners in many cases. Skilled Workers and Professional certainly have an easier time of it.

Canada is a multicultural country and foreigners are quite well received.

Crime rates - for decades the NATIONAL homicide rate has been steady around 600 per year for the whole country. A very low figure by international standards and of that approximately 95% are solved and convictions registered. Other crimes are low, but property crimes such as residential break ins, muggings, etc. are on a slight increase recently.

Cost of living is high, taxes are high, Vancouver is the most expensive city to live in and it is followed closely by Toronto. While Canadians complain about high taxes, every penny they pay comes back to them in the form of services of the highest quality.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Obrigado wjwoodward !
The media indeed lies.

I still don't understand why Canada's dependency on US is of great magnitude...