Norwegian geography

Does anyone else get annoyed by the mysterious countries of Utland (abroad) and Syden (the south)? As far as I can tell, there are 5 countries in the Norwegian view of the world: Utland, Syden, Norge, Sverige and Danmark. Sometimes Finland is included.

It always upsets me when they refer to Syden. Seems disrespectful somehow. Speaking of disrespectful, I still struggle to explain the difference between the UK, Great Britain, Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's not easy.

dmcart13 wrote:

Does anyone else get annoyed by the mysterious countries of Utland (abroad) and Syden (the south)?

I guess the "syden"(south) word is just an old habit people have. It means south europe and the medeterrian. It's just like the term "the far east" about east asia.

dmcart13 wrote:

It always upsets me when they refer to Syden. Seems disrespectful somehow.

And even though people don't speak to "deep" about "syden", so it might seem disrespectful, I assume it is because a lot of people travel to south europe for holidays, and that's what they use that particular term to talk about. But as far as I can see among people around me, the term "syden" is being used less and less, and is considered a bit old fashioned and uncool. People often use the name of wherever they are going for holidays now, and syden is mostly used when talking about weather common for several popular holiday places.

dmcart13 wrote:

As far as I can tell, there are 5 countries in the Norwegian view of the world: Utland, Syden, Norge, Sverige and Danmark. Sometimes Finland is included.

When talking about something serious, like politics or history, people usually use the name of the country they are talking about.
But in everyday talk some people just use common terms like utland(beyond this and nearest nations)or syden (south europe).
Most Norwegians are of course more knowledgeable about scandinavian countries, since they are closest to us, geographically, culturally and historically.
But I assure you, most who has graduated highschool, reads the newspapers(among the highest rates of newspaperreaders in the world!) and watch Dagsrevyen on TV(which almost all norwegians does) probably knows about the rest of the world too! If not, they must be extremely ignorant.

dmcart13 wrote:

Speaking of disrespectful, I still struggle to explain the difference between the UK, Great Britain, Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's not easy.

That some people don't know that much about UK, GB, Wales, Scottland and Northern Ireland is because that's more an inside issue of another state. And as far as I can see, most people do know the difference, or at least most people I know do.
I mean, there do exist people around the world who thinks Norway is the capital of Sweden...

PS: maybe you've had some bad luck with who you've talked with here?

ToraMarihøne92 wrote:
dmcart13 wrote:

Speaking of disrespectful, I still struggle to explain the difference between the UK, Great Britain, Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's not easy.

That some people don't know that much about UK, GB, Wales, Scottland and Northern Ireland is because that's more an inside issue of another state. And as far as I can see, most people do know the difference, or at least most people I know do.
I mean, there do exist people around the world who thinks Norway is the capital of Sweden...

PS: maybe you've had some bad luck with who you've talked with here?

In my experience, for most Norwegians I have met, Ireland and Scotland are the same country.  Sometimes, Wales also makes it a triumvirate.  England is another word for the British Isles, and any country or nation contained within is part of England, even though the people may not be English.  It is taboo to call Scottish people British.

But of course, lots of people from lots of different countries make this mistake.  Frankly, I find it more amusing than insulting.  I occasionally refer to the Netherlands as Holland, and sometimes call Frisians Dutch.

I do find the Scottish/English/British thing quite amusing now. Every time someone makes a mistake, they can immediately see on my face that they've said something wrong. I certainly don't take it seriously and it ends up being a good laugh.

As for knowledge of other countries, I know that the majority of Norwegians have a good knowledge of world geography. I was referring more to what I seem to hear circulating in everyday conversation, which does seem to be more limited. Of course, it depends completely on who I happen to be listening to.

Even as an Englishman (although passport says British) I don't understand it!

I never know where to find 'my' country in a drop down list...

Do I start at the top and look for Britain, British Isles, England, head down a bit more for Great Britain or zoom down to the bottom and look for the United Kingdom?!?!?

Also, how do countries end up being 'renamed'? Why is Norge know as Norway abroad and not simply Norge?

Confused....

The UK is a confusing country in that respect. My residency permit here says that I an English and born in England, despite the fact that I filled in the form with UK. Also, storbritania would translate as Great Britain, which would exclude Northern Ireland. Strange country indeed (the UK, not Norway. Although Norway is strange too, in other ways.). When they upset me too much I just tell them how much I'm enjoying living here in Sweden.

As for translations of countries' names, I've often wondered how that works. How do they decide? And who are they...? Anyway, with Norge the nynorsk brigade would be upset and insist we used Noreg 50% of the time.

dmcart13 wrote:

Anyway, with Norge the nynorsk brigade would be upset and insist we used Noreg 50% of the time.

Norge can also be written in Nynorsk, as a secondary form.

polishing peanuts wrote:

Also, how do countries end up being 'renamed'? Why is Norge know as Norway abroad and not simply Norge?

Confused....

Norway was never renamed.

Norge is what they call it in Norsk (Norwegian)
Norway is the English name/translation.

Same goes for Italy/Italia, Deutschland/Germany, Suomi/Finland etc etc

I suppose we don't mean changed, we mean translated. Why not use a translation closer to the original? I suppose a lot of these names emerge from the mists of time rather than being concious decisions though.

dmcart13 wrote:

I suppose we don't mean changed, we mean translated. Why not use a translation closer to the original? I suppose a lot of these names emerge from the mists of time rather than being concious decisions though.

It is a translation of the original.  Or at least, it was.

See Etymonline and this Svensk etymologisk ordbok at Projekt Runeberg for more information.

dmcart13 wrote:

Does anyone else get annoyed by the mysterious countries of Utland (abroad) and Syden (the south)? As far as I can tell, there are 5 countries in the Norwegian view of the world: Utland, Syden, Norge, Sverige and Danmark. Sometimes Finland is included. Well, that's a good topic. I am from Bulgaria and I know that for you , norwegian people we are in the deep south-east..But all we should not forget one thing-if someone dare to put some lable on someone else, then this one is realy supposed to be 100% well aquinted with all the facts and sircumstances around the other one.Let's respect each other, no matter where are we coming from...:top: very nice topic

Mange Hilsener Fra Bulgaria :-)

It always upsets me when they refer to Syden. Seems disrespectful somehow. Speaking of disrespectful, I still struggle to explain the difference between the UK, Great Britain, Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's not easy.

sorry people i made some mistake while posting my coment-it was only this what i wanted to post in fact - Well, that's a good topic. I am from Bulgaria and I know that for you , norwegian people we are in the deep south-east..But all we should not forget one thing-if someone dare to put some lable on someone else, then this one is realy supposed to be 100% well aquinted with all the facts and sircumstances around the other one.Let's respect each other, no matter where are we coming from... very nice topic

Mange Hilsener Fra Bulgaria :-)

Great Britain = England, Wales, Scotland

UK = Great Britain + Northern Ireland

I think!!