Getting a job offer: Do you think it is reasonable?

Hi, I got an offer for an academic position at one of the universities in Izmir. It will be 3500 YTL per month (after tax) + health insurance. We are a couple and I am not sure that my wife could find a job in Turkey. What level of living could we have with this amount?

Thanks!

Hi bijan,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

All the best,
Christine

Hi Christine! Thanks for your comment. I hope so!

Bijan

you ll survive but wont save much money at the end of the day..
food is cheap but fuel oil and cars are expensive..

1000 TL of it will go to rent and bills anyway.
with remaining 2500 you ll survive but will be average..
if your wife works and make another 2500, you ll feel better =)

izmir is 2nd most expensive city in Turkey.

its is a great city to live.. i wud give a try if you dont have anything better to do @where you live..

i ve graduated from one of izmir universities =)
wish u best!

Good Luck

I have no idea right now maybe later.

3500 YTL is more than enough to live in Izmir. If it was Istanbul, I would have said the otherwise. For 1,000 YTL, you would certainly be able to rent a decent 3-bed place and the rest is more than enough for food, living and more. Petrol in Turkey is the most expensive in the world so I would highly recommend using the public transport, which is very efficient.

bijan wrote:

Hi, I got an offer for an academic position at one of the universities in Izmir. It will be 3500 YTL per month (after tax) + health insurance. We are a couple and I am not sure that my wife could find a job in Turkey. What level of living could we have with this amount?

Thanks!

you will live VERY comfortably in izmir with 3500.

you can easily get a quite well-to-do flat in izmir with 750tl/month, and if you go up to 1500/month, you can even get a flat directly facing the sea at the front street in goztepe, for example.

assuming that you had acquired a decent flat in a decent neighborhood for 750, you will have quite a lot more than you need at the end of each month. assuming you go crazy and live large and spend ~1500 TL on food, bills and other house expenses,and even some amount of going out and eating out and movies etc, you will still have ~1300 TL left.

i have no freaking idea why flagg came out and said that you would live 'average' with 2500 TL in izmir. and i cant imagine what kind of life he was talking about.

I currently work in Izmir and only earn 2,200 tl a month, and i manage on that... so that wage sounds great to me!

You will definitely live comfortably
:)

Hi Bijan, i think it is a good deal! 3500 TL is well above avarage in izmir...

Hi,
3500 is an OK amount to live on for 2 people.
Rents depend on the region you choose to live in.
It also depends on the kind of lifestyle you want but it's a very livable amount :) if you don't plan on taking holidays and eating out a lot.

hi bijan,

i used to work as an academic and the position i left is 3.000 TL per month now(w/o taxes). So the the deal is just above the average for the position.

Speaking about the expenses;
-You will pay like 800 TL to the rent (it will be a new and good flat)
-You will pay 200 to the electricity and fuel (comfort level)
-You will pay 200 to phone+internet+cable tv
-You will pay 500 to 1000 TL per month to gas if you have a car.
-You will not spend more than 500 to kitchen and other household.
-The fish restaurant with rakı costs like 75 TL per person.
-An italian restaurant with wine costs like 40 TL per person.
-Hairdresser will charge 10 TL for your girlfriend for a flat hairdo.
-Drycleaning is 4 TL, ironing is 1.5 TL per piece.
-Beer is 7-10 TL, a good coctail is 12-20 TL.
-cinema is 7-15 TL

So, you will stay in a comfortable apartment, heat and cool nicely, enjoy the city for 3500 TL for two persons, but definetely you will not make any savings.

yalın