Jewelry Question

So I'm not sure if anyone is going to be able to answer this question but I thought I'd give it a try. So I am looking to buy a ring here that say's it is silver. It is around 30 USD when I convert the price. I was wondering if they mark sterling silver or real silver jewelry with anything in Hungary? I have a ring from James Avery in the U.S. and it is marked with 925 on the inside of the ring. I haven't seen the ring I want in person but, I'm going tomorrow to look at it and I would like to know if there is any markings I should be looking for to determine if it is real silver? Thanks!

Hi,

I don't think there's anything to go by than the reputation of the shop.

If you want it to be silver for allergies, and it's for you, you might be able to arrange for a refund if you can't wear it.

Sterling silver is 92.5% silver, that is what the 925 mark means and it is a common modern mark (the other 7.5% is usually copper -- Pure silver is too soft to be used in jewelry). The 925 mark is most common in the US, but it is used world wide. You may also see the mark "ster" or "sterling". But sterling silver can actually have all sorts of marks, especially if it is an older piece. In that case, the wear and aging also can be used to determine if it is silver.

No mark means it is probably not a precious metal such as silver. But also anyone can stamp a ring and plate it. To know for sure, you either have to know the dealer, or you can have a chemical or specific gravity test done on the ring. But that may cost more than the ring is worth.

(I only know all this because, in a prior life, I made sterling silver jewelry).

Thank you guys so much! :)