Mixers?

Just wondering if there are any social organizations for foreigners in Cuenca that would enable us to trade information and experiences.  Seems like it would be a good idea to have such a thing -- strength in numbers and all that.

Good Afternoon,
I'm from right next door, in Minnesota. I will moving to Cuenca next June.
There are many social functions that go on all the time. You might try going to Gringo Tree. They have daily updates on different meeting spots, charity events, holiday parties and the like.
Maybe we'll meet at one in the future.
Stay Well,
Neil

Hi, my name is Carole and my husband and I moved here to Cuenca exactly one year ago this November 4th.   What is it that you would like to know?  We love Cuenca because for one thing it is such a friendly and also a beautiful city.  There are always free musical concerts of some kind every weekend ; even class car shows.  The weather is great and for the past two months the days have in the high 70s with the low at night about 65.   We live near  the Tomebamba River and we can see the Andes Mountain Range from our living room window.  There are a couple of Jazz Clubs where you sit in a lovely old colonial living room and listen to live Jazz 5 nights a week.  Then, there are the usual places where all the Gringos hang out too..at various restaurants here.  We are in our late 70s and we have more friends, both locals and Gringos than we ever did where we used to live  in Jacksonville, FL.

For awhile, I really missed my car, but not anymore.  We are healthier and get more exercise now.  We have two small dogs and we walk them 4 times a day.  Personally, I have lost 15 lbs since moving here.  I am now only 110 when I used to weigh 125.  At home it was always so easy to just go to a drive-thru for lunch.  I now walk at least 4 miles each day.  And we eat healthier too.  A lot of fresh fruits and vegetables..and the big, big strawberries are so juicy and tempting ..and cheap too.  For one dollar, you can buy a tall bag right  from the grower at the large produce market downtown.

Mangoes?  Papaya?  Pineapples?  For $.80 you can buy either one.  Tomatoes are a nickel each..and a big head of lettuce is only $.24.   There are three large malls here and three American style markets where you can most anything you can buy in the states. 

A taxi most anywhere within the city limits will cost you $1.50, tip included.  A great haircut is only $5.00 or less.  There are at least 4 big hospitals here where all of the doctors have their practice.  You don't need to make an appt either..find the doctor you like and go the hospital where he is located; pay $30.00 to the receptionist and that is it.  We go to a Dr. Pablo Parra, who is from Miami and speaks perfect English.  He will sit with you and listen to you for as long as it takes.  He is at Monte Sinai and he "treats" 90% of all the Gringos.  Everything is all high-tech and some hospitals are so much better than in the states.  They seem to really care about you as a patient.  I recently had a very thorough physical, with 11 tests in a week, including X-rays and an MRI.  My total cost for the doctor, the blood tests, the X-rays and even the cardiologist was only $180.00!!!  And no, I didn't leave out a number!!

Not sure if this the kind of info u were looking for, but just wanted to tell you how we have come to love Cuenca.  I love my city..MY CUENCA. !

Regards and if there is something you want to know,,something I left out, please let me know.  As you case, I am biased about Cuenca.

Carole Walter