Where should a 39-year old single gay man live in Sydney?

I am moving from San Francisco, California to Sydney. I haven't explored all the resources on the Web about living here, but I was wondering where a 39-year old professional, single gay man should consider living. I currently make $170K US (not sure what that translates to AU$), and ideally would like to live in the city. Does Sydney have a gay neighborhood like most big American cities? How much would a 1br/1 bath flat/apt?

Can anyone point me to a good resource for moving?

I don't know the prices of a flat in Sydney, because when I was there, I was living more in the countryside, 35km from Sydney.
But I advice you, if you like going out and would like to meet other guy people, to live in KINGS CROSS. It is an inner-city locality of Sydney. It's a mixture of charm and sleaze tawdry shops and trendy bars. It may cost about 200-250$ the week for a good flat, or less if you share the flat with others persons, which is quite frequent in Australia ...

Hi Hot Rod, You could try Edgecliffe, Surrey Hills or Bondi. Kingscross is the red light district and druggo capital. It might be better if you stay away from there. There are heaps of nice resturants and pubs in Surrey hills. I am not gay but I have seen many walking around there.
Good luck

Any of the inner city suburbs dude. If you're just supporting yourself, anything over AUD$80k per annum will be enough to have a good time. We don't really have a 'gay' neighbourhood per se.

Manow wrote:

I don't know the prices of a flat in Sydney, because when I was there, I was living more in the countryside, 35km from Sydney.
But I advice you, if you like going out and would like to meet other guy people, to live in KINGS CROSS. It is an inner-city locality of Sydney. It's a mixture of charm and sleaze tawdry shops and trendy bars. It may cost about 200-250$ the week for a good flat, or less if you share the flat with others persons, which is quite frequent in Australia ...

An apartment in inner Sydney at that price is likely to be of pretty low quality. You'll be paying in excess of $400/w for anything remotely nice.

Actually, the city-end of Oxford St is where you will find a lot of gay nightclubs and is where the "gay scene" can be found in Sydney. But unless you want to live right in the action of a nightclub district, you wouldn't live there. Also, it's getting less distinctly or exclusively gay there.

Alot of gay people are living in the inner west now - suburbs such as Newtown, St Peters, Erskenville, Surry Hills. They are all fantastic places to live, with an open culture and you'll see people from all walks of life around those areas. They also have good pubs and cafes/restaurants.

If you want to live nearer the coast, then on the other side of the city look to places like Edgecliff, Rushcutters Bay, Potts Point. They are fairly high-end suburbs, but close to Kings Cross, Oxford St and the city. You will find, again, people from all walks of life - inc. gay people - in those suburbs.

Enjoy - Sydney is a great city to live in!

Near Kings Cross I see several gay people.

Hi Hot Rod, first of all welcome to Australia.  I am sure you will love it in Sydney (but, of course, I am biased). My recommendation is to forget about Kings Cross (it is a rather sleazy area and a bit of a trouble spot at night). It is much nicer in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney, eg Coogee (which I think is nicer than Bondi) or Maroubra. There is a large gay community in the "hip/grunge" area of Newtown which is famous for its off-centre lifestyle and fantastic restaurant/bar scene. Alternatively, you may like to go "up market" to trendy Paddington, Woollhara or Double Bay (but I warn you these areas are very expensive).  Sydney is the Gay capital of the world so you won't feel out of place anywhere. The eastern suburbs have a very laid back, beachy feel which will be familiar for you if you hail fro California.  The gay community are spread throughout Sydney which is one of the most tolerant, multicultural and sophisticated cities in the world. Sydney is geographically huge with a massive, spreading suburban area that extends 100 kms from north to south and over 100 kms from east stretching west to the gorgeous Blue Mountains.  Check out this website as it may assist you in selecting a great area of Sydney in which to live. I suggest anywhere within a 5 km radius so that you are close to all the trendy bars, restaurants, night life without the need for a car.

sydney.visitorsbureau.com.au/regions/

Good luck to you!

Hey brett here .. I born and raise sydney I would look to move either inner city around the surry hills area ... Very gay and close to scene

Hello brett and welcome to Expat.com

Thank you for your participation on this thread, however since the latter has been inactive since 2011, you may not receive any response.

Kenjee
Expat.com Team