Holding back Passport

Can anyone tell me if it is true that under Saudi Labor Law, an employee can not keep their passport and Iquama on their person?

Now I have Multiple visa valid for 180days and the company taken my passport away from me. They said that until I dont receive my iquama I can not have my passport with me.

Do they have any rights to keep my passport?

Thanks for help!

Has been discussed in details here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=142462

It's a common practice rather than part of the Labor Law.

Parvati76 wrote:

Now I have Multiple visa valid for 180days and the company taken my passport away from me. They said that until I dont receive my iquama I can not have my passport with me.

No, they DON'T.
Multiple visa  it is obviously Business visa. It NEVER can be exchanged to iqamah, only Work visa or Residence visa can.

And with multiple business visa you need to do visa runs periodically because of the limited length of single stay in KSA.

I have a multi entry/exit visa in my passport, and my company lets me keep it and my iquama

Which Witch wrote:

Multiple visa  it is obviously Business visa. It NEVER can be exchanged to iqamah, only Work visa or Residence visa can.

:) Money makes the mare go. Anyways, that's beside the point.

If company took your passport, you can have it back if you convience them to keep it with you.
Many things can be fixed by relations and communication...

npope they shoudlnt take ur passport at all, the lawa  doesnt permit that ok ,may be they bwa nbt ot to be safe thatsall.

Hello,
I read with interest your question and here i can give  you a true and exact answer as i came here in Saudi Arabia with a 180 days bussiness visa.
First and for most it is illegal that the company hold your Passeport.
Second , you have to keep in that every 30 days or month, you have to go out the country and renew your visa if not you will be in big trouble. the duration is you can stay is 30 days and at the end of each month , you have go out ex. Bahrein and come back, if you passe your stay for 30 bdays  YOU ARE IN TROUBLE AND AFTER ONE MONTH  IF YOU OVER STAY MORE THAN 3 DAYS(after month stay) YOU WILL BE FINED 10,000 Saudi Riyals and  if you don't go out every month , your visa is cancelled not valid any more.
Keep your paseport and when one month stay is finished , go out from  Saudi  and renew your visa, that is to say in 180 days , you have to exit from Saudi five times and come back ,
each re entry is renew for one month.
Good luck.
That is what i used to do and that what the law says.
by
aynab

Ayab, YOu are just an Angel, Thje information will definitely help people who have issues with the question. \

Regards

Parvati76 wrote:

Can anyone tell me if it is true that under Saudi Labor Law, an employee can not keep their passport and Iquama on their person?

Thanks for help!

it depends on the company. as per law you're allowed to keep one at a time. For me, I keep my govt office guy happy and he lets me keep both. :) This is a rubbish law but still..

pkmusd wrote:

it depends on the company. as per law you're allowed to keep one at a time. For me, I keep my govt office guy happy and he lets me keep both. This is a rubbish law but still..

As per which Law Pkmusd?

Ehtesham wrote:

pkmusd wrote:

it depends on the company. as per law you're allowed to keep one at a time. For me, I keep my govt office guy happy and he lets me keep both. This is a rubbish law but still..

As per which Law Pkmusd?

As per labor law, you're allowed to keep iqama with you and passport with sponsor. If you want to leave you can give them iqama and take passport with you.
If you have a diff understanding, pls share

1) Unfortunately, there is no such labor law.
2) Pls refer to the last/first page of your passport where it states the rules for passport holders.

Ehtesham wrote:

2) Pls refer to the last/first page of your passport where it states the rules for passport holders.

Sorry, but I am not able to understand point you're trying to make?
Please be specific...

aynab wrote:

Hello,
I read with interest your question and here i can give  you a true and exact answer as i came here in Saudi Arabia with a 180 days bussiness visa.
First and for most it is illegal that the company hold your Passeport.
Second , you have to keep in that every 30 days or month, you have to go out the country and renew your visa if not you will be in big trouble. the duration is you can stay is 30 days and at the end of each month , you have go out ex. Bahrein and come back, if you passe your stay for 30 bdays  YOU ARE IN TROUBLE AND AFTER ONE MONTH  IF YOU OVER STAY MORE THAN 3 DAYS(after month stay) YOU WILL BE FINED 10,000 Saudi Riyals and  if you don't go out every month , your visa is cancelled not valid any more.
Keep your paseport and when one month stay is finished , go out from  Saudi  and renew your visa, that is to say in 180 days , you have to exit from Saudi five times and come back ,
each re entry is renew for one month.
Good luck.
That is what i used to do and that what the law says.
by
aynab

May be this law is not valid on business visit.
in case of work visa the law is very much there.

chk out this article, govt is trying to evade this system but not yet implemented

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cf … 0401120787

pkmusd wrote:
Ehtesham wrote:

Sorry, but I am not able to understand point you're trying to make?
Please be specific...

In kingdom, you know many things are not documented but they are followed like that
similarly it goes for passports. However like I said depends on your negociation skills for me I have good terms with govt offie guy.

But some orgs are v strict and hence doesn't allow.

you can ask your passport back and in return give the iqama. you will be fine if you have your passport in hand with a multiple E/R stamped.

if in case you plan to travel to bahrain during weekends PM me, i can offer a lift

this is pilgrim related not working related but may still apply

http://www.arabnews.com/news/449793

HTH

Illegal to keep workers passports - Labor Ministry
http://www.arabnews.com/news/714311

Employers will be fined for keeping worker's passport:
http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia … -ministry/

@alpha.one
That is excellent find.