Moving to Panama soon & have a few questions

Hi folks,

My wife, son (9) and I will most probably be moving from the UK to Panama within the next 8 weeks through work.  I have a few questions that, hopefully, the kind folk on here will be able to answer for me!

Firstly, schooling.  Our son follows the UK curriculum.  I see that there are two Oxford Schools in Panama City and I think we want to put him into the school on Calle 50 (from what I've read, this appears to be the better of the two).  Could someone let me know what the standard of education there is like and roughly the annual cost of school fees, please?!

Secondly, housing.  My company will provide us with a budget of around $2,500 / month for housing (exc bills).  Could anyone let me know what would be the best areas of Panama City to look at to get something like a 3 bedroom detached house (preferably with a pool!) in a safe neighbourhood for that kind of monthly rental?

Thirdly, cost of new cars.  My company will give me a budget to spend on a new SUV as part of the package, which is really kind of them.  However, I am darned if I can find out the cost of new cars in Panama to figure out if I will actually be able to afford anything there!!!!  Could someone let me know the approximate purchase cost of something like a new Nissan Pathfinder / Toyota Prado?  Alternatively, what sort of SUV could I afford to buy new for around $40k (unfortunately, it has to be an SUV and has to be new due to company policy).

Fourthly, importing old cars.  I have a 26 year old Land Rover here in the UK that I love (not quite sure why, as it looks like it's hit every gate it's ever been driven through!) and would dearly like to not have to sell it when we move.  It's only worth a couple of $k maximum, but its sentimental value to me is huge.  Would I be backing a loser if I tried to import it?  Are there any concessions for the importation of classic cars to Panama?

Any input that anyone can give would be gratefully received!

Alex

hi Alex, good luck to you and your family with the upcoming move.

First, I can help you with a couple of questions. 
One, your son's education - there's a number of good international level schools in Panama now.  I just wrote a blog entry with more details a week or two ago, so you are welcome to take a look at that on my website, because it has specifics for you.

Two, for the car, the reason you cannot find any websites is because they are in Spanish, I am guessing.  For a new Prado, you can definitely get something in the low 40s.  Cars normally here are about 25% more expensive than in the US, but I cannot compare them to costs in the UK. 

For housing, you are going to have a hard time finding a 3 bed house with pool here for just 2500 a month.  Probably instead you can find a nice condo downtown with a building that has a pool.  Nice homes are at a premium in Panama because they are not plentiful.  You will definitely want a real estate agent, especially if you don't speak the language.  I'd recommend an English speaking one, like Inside Panama Real Estate, or go to the Panama-Guide.com website and see if he has any recommendations.  If your company has a relo company doing your move, insist that you get to choose your own real estate broker. 

For the car shipment, you can bring it in, but will need a shipping carrier on your end to do all the legwork for you.  Make sure they hire a customs broker down here as part of your contract with them, so that you get the car delivered to your door.

For more, please download my book on Amazon Kindle, as it will save you a lot of heartache and hassle, as my hubby and I did this just five years ago.  Good luck to you!

(moderated: no free ads please)