Commuting info needed..... can anyone help?

I'm moving to Mauritius in January with my job and I'm going to be working in Port Louis at Le Caudon.  I'm busy looking for somewhere to live and even though the actual distance from the North or the West is about the same, I am trying to establish is the commute is easier and quicker from one?  I've heard the traffic into Port Louis is nightmare so I'm trying to make it as painless as possible!  Any feedback would be most appreciated :D

Best for working in Port Louis is to live in the West,Flic en Flac/Tamarin. From the north you have to cross to the other side of PL

Hello Islander17,

Welcome to expat-blog!

Maybe some words about you ;)?

See you around,
Melissa

Thanks Stormers1960 for the tip

Hi Melissa - I'm from the Isle of Man which is a tiny Island off the coast of the UK.  I'm moving to the lovely island of Mauritius with my job. It's going to be quite a change for me but I'm really looking forward to it..

I suggest you to look in Port Chambly. It's halfway between Port-Louis and Grand Baie

Thank you - I have come across the villas to rent at Port Chambly and they do look very nice.

Caudan is opposite the Immigration bus station and a five minute walk - express bus from Grande Baie takes 40 - 45 minutes in the morning depending on the departure time at minimal cost.

Thanks Alfs... Had pretty much decided to live in the Grand Baie area ... Didn't know there was an express bus.. That's even better!

hi. Everyday i had to travel in bus to port louis, am from central flacq about 38km from port louis. Best solution is to have your own car this will really save your time as government is building new roads. Whether you live in north or east mauritius in car you can save 30min travelling than taking a bus.

hi you can add me in facebook. My nickname is [email protected]  it will be a real pleasure to have new friend around. I work at port louis itself am a police officer. Any problem let me know. Most welcome

Hello could you please call me on 7635189 may be i can do something for you,If you are alone.I'm farhad in port-louis ok if u don't need its ok

Hi and welcome to Mauritius :)

We live in Tamarin and know lots of people who commute daily to Port L - also friends who live in Flic en Flac also commute daily.

Which ever area you choose to live there are always heavy traffic going into Port L - just allow yourself plenty of time :)

Good luck :)

Hello

I have the right choice for you. :)

Since you are all alone, the house which i am renting is appropriate for you especially for your security. It might not be near the beach but the weather in Phoenix is very peaceful. Besides, everything is nearby, pharmacy, boutiques, shops, plus JUMBO Hypermarket which is a very nice place for entertainment and relaxing especially for a person coming from abroad.Please see my profile for more info concerning the house. Since the house is a furnished one, it will cost 13, 000 rupees monthly.

The distance from Phoenix to PortlOuis is 20 minutes by the Express bus and by car it is less than 20 minutes.

regards,
Najeebah

Hello,

Hope your doing good. Nice to see a lot more british expats coming down here...Am a londoner myself...but i spend most of my time doing business overhere. Living in the north of the island myself and having to travel to Port-Louis pretty much everyday, its not really that chaotic to be honest. I would not say its exactly Oxford Street on xmas eve if you see what i mean. If you do allow yourself enuff time and make your way to your work place... it will be a very pleasant journey. However if you are still looking for a place to live, what sorta budget do you have?

Hi Mohammed - I'm from the Isle of Man so I'm moving from a very tiny island to a slightly bigger one but with the main difference being that Mauritius is stunning and the weather is amazing... let me see, Indian Ocean / Irish Sea - no competion really! I'm looking to be in the North as I've been told by a girl I currently work with who is local to Mauritius that it will be easier to get to and from work. My budget re housing is ok, won't quite stretch to a beach front villa but I should be able to find somewhere very nice. My problem is that I am moving out on my own so I don't need 4 bedrooms but I do need a spare bedroom for friends and family...everywhere I've looked at is huge, too big for just me - never stuggled to find a place smaller before - rental prices in the IOM are equal to London and you don't get a lot of space for your money. Can't wait to move, looking forward to starting a new life in Mauritius!

[Moderated: Kindly communicate by PM]

Hey islander

Im also from the Uk, but have lived in mauritius for the last couple of months. I have stayed in both Grand baie and flic en flac. Both are lovely areas, although slightly touristy lol if you decide to use a car, I would stay in the north as the new highway to port Louis is very good, its the last mile or so into Port louis which get very conjested (but we are not talking M25) ........it's true if you want to park at caudan, you do have to endure slightly more of the heavy traffic in the centre of P Louis, but in my limited experience the rest of the journey is nicer on the highway.

As for buses, I'm certainly not an expert. Took the bus from flic en flac at peak commuter time once. It wasn't the best experience lol. My father used the express from grand baie and was pleasantly surprised if that helps.

Where ever you choose, I'm sure you will love this place. Admittedly I have family here, but when exploring on my own I have never felt unsafe.  The people are so friendly and welcoming and the country is beautiful.

I leave in December, so will miss you! But if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. You should be excited, your love it !

Guy

Islander17 wrote:

I'm moving to Mauritius in January with my job and I'm going to be working in Port Louis at Le Caudon.  I'm busy looking for somewhere to live and even though the actual distance from the North or the West is about the same, I am trying to establish is the commute is easier and quicker from one?  I've heard the traffic into Port Louis is nightmare so I'm trying to make it as painless as possible!  Any feedback would be most appreciated :D

Hi Islander , We moved from the UK to Mauritius in April and I work in Port Louis and we decided to live in Pereybere in the North.
Weekdays I can leave home at 7.05 am and be in the office parked by 7.45am so not too bad . The motorway is a great help now.
Where did you decide to live in the end?

hi pls can we meet when u already in mauritius i am a chef expat.working in mauritius my phone 9089691
habibi

I guess you already in Mauritius. So welcome. U choose the right place Grand Bay - Express Bus, and the atmosphere in Grand Bay is totally different.

Well in Port Louis there is always traffic...

Best of luck.
Cheers

Kevin

Hi,

Welcome to Mauritius! I was living in the north before, and driving my own car it took me 30 min to rech Port Louis (before Caudan). Now we live at Ebene and it takes 30 min to reach the same point at Port Louis because I have to cross the city now (traffic jump). It depends also on what time  you drive through the city, it  takes me only 15 min if there is no heavy traffic.

bye

Just be careful of Nutcases.... just apply the same 'rules of engagement' as you would apply anywhere in the world. Don't let your guard down simply because you're here. Send some messages to expat ladies on this site and they'll have a good list of "do's and don'ts" on this island. :)