Need info on house builders on Ambergris Caye..

Hi All.. :)

My name is Pat and I am from Texas. (in case that isn't obvious from my screen name):P

I recently bought a lot on Ambergris Caye and would like some names and information on reasonably priced home builders, construction companies, independant contractors, etc.. I am not planning to build on this lot for a couple more years yet, but I would like to start getting a basic plan put together now so I can project the potential future cost for what I want.

Are there any pre-fab builders on the Main Land that build on Ambregris Caye? Concrete or Wood construction, which is best on the Island and most cost effective in the long term?

I would love to build a Belizean Wood home but have heard that the insurance costs for a wood structure can be very expensive and not worth the initial cost savings. Does anyone have an opinion, or advice, on concrete/block VS Native Wood on Ambregris Caye?

Any and all help and advice is much appreciated..

Thanks,

Pat

I understand the charm of a traditional wood house, but on an island where hurricanes and tropical storms are always a possibility, I'd definitely go with concrete. All the new homes and condos are concrete construction, from what I've seen on the island.

Sorry can't help with any specific builder recommendations.

Good luck!

Pat, is your land on the ocean or lagoon side of the island? Wood stilt homes are very popular on the back side of the island - I lived in one up North. The San Pedrito area where a lot of locals live back by the lagoon use that type of construction too.

I personally prefer wood stilt homes too because of the fabulous air flow they allow for.  Concrete also tends to hold in heat and make the home hotter. However, if you plan on installing A/C and/or a dehumidifier, then that may not be a concern for you.

If you will be living on the ocean side, however, Caribegal is right - concrete is the way to go.

Hi Pat
My wife and I have recently started having our house built on Ambregris Caye. It will be a concrete construction.

We chose Daniel Camal to be our building constructor. And hopefully we made the right choice.

You can follow our experience on :
http://www.abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

Good luck.
John