Expat life in Lagos -some questions

Hello All
I am considering a job offer to work as a consultant with a major bank, and the job is based in Lagos. I have not been to Nigeria or even West Africa before. I appreciate any advice / recommendations for the following questions - First hand experience from those living there is always best!

Just HOW dangerous is it there, and what areas/neighbourhoods are recommended for Western expat living?

Are there modern shopping malls with Western/ International fashion and skin care brands and are there international ladies spas?

Are there nice, clean and safe beaches that one can visit on weekends that are away from the city?

Im vegetarian; are there (Far east) Asian restaurants such as Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, also are there European-taste restaurants, and if so, are they very expensive?

What leisure activities do most expats enjoy doing in spare time / weekends?

I greatly appreciate any comments or advice!

Regards,
ME

Just like any large metropolis, Lagos has it's fair share of crime and violence... In recent years however security has improved considerably. As an expat you probably want to stick around Victoria Island and Ikoyi. These are more expensive areas.
There are quite a number of Asians Indians/Chinese so being a vegetarian should not be a problem.
There are a lot of beaches, so if you like stuff like that good for you.
if you are outgoing and make friends easily, you will find Nigerians are hospitable and friendly.

(moderated: free ads is not allowed)

Hi ME,

I am in a similar boat and I am scheduled to relocate to Lagos next week. I have done quite a bit of research so can answer your questions based on it.

Areas: Ikoyi, Victoria Island(VI), Lekki estates are the ideal places. Essentially you would want to be close to your office because of the traffic. It is extremely risky to walk on the streets at night and to a bit risky to travel in late night but you are safe in your compounds. Wearing jewelery is not recommended. Essentially if you avoid unnecessary travel you are safe.

Modern shopping malls are there along with large supermarkets and spas, but it seems the malls/spas are upmarket range.

Beaches: Have heard only good things about the lekki beach, it looks very pretty.

Restaurants: They are quite a few of them but the menus I have seen seem to be same as UK restaurants. There are KFC outlets and a Dominos just recently opened in VI.

Ideally your firm will provide you with a car, driver and accommodation. Nearly everyone hires a full time maid and life is quite relaxed.

Amit

hi Amit
thanks for the info.  I wish you best of luck for your new job in Lagos.  I am awaiting paperwork for a visa to go there for a final meeting and potentially sign a work contract.  If it all works out, and I do make the move to Lagos, ill send you a note in the new year.  thanks again for the tips!
Mare

Hi Mare,

Just came back from my first beach(Eleko) visit in Nigeria and the beach was beautifull, rates were reasonable and no one hassled me at the beach, a single no to the 3 hawkers who approached was sufficient.

And yeah immigration was a breeze , for customs the company had sent a protocol office/agent to get me through it.

Hope that you have recived all the paperwork for your travel and are travellign soon for the contract signing.

=Amit