Questions about firearm laws in Puerto Rico

Hello,

I'm a new member here. I am moving to Puerto Rico in about a month (Dec 2012). I'm very grateful for this website, and for all those who take the time to post helpful & honest comments on this forum.

My questions are about importing, owning, and carrying firearms in PR. My searches of this forum turned up only the following post, which had some good information, particularly from NomadLawyer & adolfojp:
http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=84980

I have done a lot of research on this topic. For example, here's what the NRA knows about it:
http://www.nraila.org/search.aspx?s=puerto%20rico

I'm a long-time gun owner and I have both MN and UT carry permits, which, with the web of reciprocity laws in the USA, makes me legal to carry in 42 states.

1. Does anyone have personal experience with this topic which you can share?

2. As I read the PR law there are three levels of permits needed:
- firearm ownership permit
- shooting range permit
- conceal-carry permit
Can anyone provide information about how to get these permits?

I have found a lot of (possibly dubious) information about this on the internet. I am looking for anyone who has actually done it to provide helpful advice.

Thanks,
LawrenceG

Yes, a little.  First, you have to complete the owners permit, which can be a lengthy process. I hired an attorney to complete mine and it is still being processed from July 2012.  The application is in Spanish and requires several steps such as going to the main police headquarters near Plaza las Americas to buy stamps and to obtain the verification certificate that you have no criminal record in PR.  You also have to have 3 individuals sign notarized affidavits that you are a good person and they would recommend you fr a firearms permit.  After all this, you'll take your completed application back to the police station where you'll provide your fingerprints (they do them on site).  This is the application process.  Next, an investigator will conduct a short interview with your 3 references in person.  I understand after tat, you'll be required to do up to 10 shots at a firing range, but I have not gotten to that part yet.  After all this and I obtain my permit, next will be to apply for the conceal carry permit.  Hope this helps.

Tony.

Thanks, Tony, for the helpful information. If you are satisfied with the attorney you hired, and he speaks English, and you are willing, please send his name and information to me via private message.

I understand it takes a long time just for the ownership permit. I'd be interested in your progress in the process, as you are obviously a few months ahead of me.

Another question: Do you belong to a gun club, and can you recommend any?

Thanks again,
LawrenceG

Lawrence, no problem, check your inbox.

I don't belong to any gun clubs yet.  Also, for some reason I remember reading or hearing that you can only own a limited amount of weapons - this is obviously different than the states.

Finally, my license should be arriving in next next few weeks or so.  I'll let you know how things go.  Post other questions you may have an oen of us will reply.  Let me know when you reach the attorney - she's great!

Thanks again Tony!

Llorens Torres has a great shooting range.