Verizon iphone 5?

Hi gang,

Do any of you have or know someone in Vietnam, who has, an American Verizon-version of the new iphone 5?

Apprently, that is all Apple is selling now, in southern California.  I really need one and would really like to get one.  But, I am not too sure if it will work in Vietnam, where I tend to spend most of my time. 

This time, I am determined not to get back to my driver's old phone again.

Any tip will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Howie

Hey Man,

Verizon phones won't work in Vietnam because they're CDMA (or something like that) and don't have SIM cards. You'll need to wait until Apple starts selling unlocked iPhone 5 with no contract if you want one that works here. Another alternative would be to somehow get one from Australia, if that's possible. Just make sure it takes a SIM, and it should work here.

Hurry on back, and cheer on your Trojans today.

Wild1,

I don't think Verizon Iphones will work here. I might be able to arrange to have someone bring an unlock one over here for you. They will not be arriving until the end January though.

I bought an iPhone4 unlocked and it works fine in VN.  From what I hear the iPhone5 is not that much different.

Thanks for the tips guys.  I will now hold off on this purchase.

Parmyd, I really appreciate the offer.  But I had just spoken to the guys at Apple, and they don't know when they are going to have the unlocked version. Maybe I will have to go with the 4S and ipad mini combo.  I will have to wait and see.

All I know is that my driver will get his phone back, he will be able to give it to his kid shortly.  Heee!

hey howie,

I heard some where that the verizon one is already unlocked. here is the link hopes it helps you out man. The phone is CDMA and also should have a sim slot

theverge.com/2012/9/25/3405610/verizon-iphone-5-unlocked-open-access-fcc

charlie

I just got back from vietnam with my verizon Iphone 5. yes I was able to use my phone in vietnam with a vietnamese cell phone carrier. The new Verizon Iphone 5 already come unlock outside of the box.

Verizon iphone 5 already come unlock so you don't needs to do anything to unlock it becuase its already come unlock.

Thanks for all the tips, fellas.  But, even though Apple released the unlocked 5s now, I got me an unlocked 4s.  I did not want to be saddled with a 2-year contract, at the same time, I couldn't wait much longer for the unlocked 5s...  I think a 4s and an Otterbox Defender case will last me for awhile.  Well, at least until the next petty thief comes along.  :lol:

Thanks again and hope that all of you are prepared for Tet...

Wild_1 wrote:

I think a 4s and an Otterbox Defender case will last me for awhile.

Unless you drop it in the Mekong river.

What a loada rubbish about verizon iphones not working in VN.  I can confirm they work 100% as I peronally unlock them and I also use one MYSELF PERSONALLY!

The death of CDMA technology to be declared soon!

< http://talkvietnam.com/2012/02/death-cd … -declared/ >

And if anyone asks about 4G, YES it here available but ONLY in Ha Noi.

Howie, check out < http://www.fring.com/ >, it might let you talk to Anetta at prices YOU might even go for!

And if anyone says iThingies do GSM and CDMA they are WRONG (at the moment) as even Apple can't squeeze the hardware in their case.

สตีวี่ wrote:

What a loada rubbish about verizon iphones not working in VN.  I can confirm they work 100% as I peronally unlock them and I also use one MYSELF PERSONALLY!

Yes, but what modulation system did you use?

CDMA is gone; all the networks that used it are either gone, merged or switched.

So when you return from Bangkok you will be SOOL, unless you park yourself on the Cambodian border with a Yagi antenna attached and pointed to Kampuchea.

CDMA was quite handy as you could actually view on-line TV at no cost even in VN.

Thanks for the link, Jaitch.  But with that guy, face to face is the only mode that can keep him honest.

Jaitch wrote:
สตีวี่ wrote:

Yes, but what modulation system did you use?

CDMA is gone; all the networks that used it are either gone, merged or switched.

So when you return from Bangkok you will be SOOL, unless you park yourself on the Cambodian border with a Yagi antenna attached and pointed to Kampuchea.

CDMA was quite handy as you could actually view on-line TV at no cost even in VN.

I use a Vietnam simcard just like any other nokia/SE/Samsung/iPhone. Nothing to do with BKK or Cambodia. Verizon 4s,  unlocked WILL WORK in vn, I KNOW as I own one and also unlocking iphones is my job.

I`ve got the iphone 4s 64gb from Australia, i got it unlocked in Saigon for 1,000,000 vnd.

iphone 5 use in Vietnam.
- have Sprint iPhone 5 - called Sprint & got it unlocked last year as I travel a little internationally
- last month, went to Vietnam + bought local SIM card + local tele service time card
- removed my Sprint sim card
- set up = cut down new card (local shop did it) + quick set up with inputing local service tele time card info & local number => works beautifully in 3G - a bit slower than 4G-LTE but it works
- came back to US @ SFO, placed my Sprint SIM card back in & works as original again

now, buying a Verizon iPhone 5 (comes already unlocked for GSM use = yes) for fiancee's use in Vietnam

heading back in 3 weeks = YEAH!!!