Buying via the Net ?????

My flight has been confirmed and ( what was supposed to be November 10 ) I now expect to be in Malta on the first of December. The next few weeks are somewhat crucial to me because I prefer to be prepared but will adapt if given no other choice.

I plan to post quite a few questions in the next few days, within the next month, etc. A lot of it will be on how to access things available within larger countries, such as the United States, Spain, etc.

MY FIRST QUESTION IS HOW TO PURCHASE SOMETHING FROM EBAY, considering you become a permanent resident, WHEN RESIDING ON THE ISLAND BECAUSE THERE FAILS TO BE A SUB - DOMAIN AVAILABLE WITH AN EXTENSION FOR THIS NATION.

The point is that their site requires you to have a bank account for verification in select markets and has little room for other options because of routing numbers. I guess this has become a problem for me after being an expatriot for several years travelling the world because adding money to a foreign financial institution becomes a problem.

A majority of my cash is now invested in prepaid credit cards and I often carry a small amount on me.

Please list any advice you can offer in reference to this matter. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Sorry can't help, I refuse to use E-bay.
May I also suggest that you cannot go to Malta and expect the same levels of access to resources and services which you have become used to.
Some may be available, many will not be.
Experience and enjoy!

@Redmik ... My second sentence in the post - I can adapt if necessary but, etc. :P

Thanks for the suggestion anyway and I too HATE Ebay but it often helps when being an expat looking for certain things not found in another country.    :|

redmik wrote:

Sorry can't help, I refuse to use E-bay.
May I also suggest that you cannot go to Malta and expect the same levels of access to resources and services which you have become used to.
Some may be available, many will not be.
Experience and enjoy!

Do you already have an ebay account?

@Myrkur

I closed my old bank in the United States because of constant problems with foreign exchange rates when I got to Spain and opened a new account with a financial institution here in Barcelona. ( that fails to have a branch in Malta )

My thought was to open a new Paypal and Ebay here but then I realized the problem when it was too late because their Sub - Domains ... with the ES extension only allow you to change the language to the site by changing your country location, then requiring numbers such as the routing information that are only valid to United States, United Kingdom, etc.

The payment preferences, if I remember correctly, allow you to have two different addresses when conducting transactions with one capable of being edited at any time to alert the seller of any special instructions for mailing things but at present I found no way to open a new membership, a new Paypal or whatever if not able to find a way there because my Spanish is too limited at this point to risk making a mistake translating something with the potential to cost me money.

Myrkur wrote:

Do you already have an ebay account?

I still use the same ebay account I created when I was living in Austria (with several ebay domains like .at/.de/.co.uk/.it) and I'm also using my Paypal account. In the personal data of my accounts I only changed the address and for Paypal I also changed the credit card number.

Moneytransfer (Internetbanking) within EU works fine with my maltese and also my austrian bank account without additional costs. Same for the money transfer between my two bank accounts.

Withdrawing money from ATMs ist also possible without extra costs with bot of my debit cards.

Regarding online shopping or banking activities I faced no problems until now (*knock-on-wood).
The only negative aspect is that you have to pay for shipping, even with amazon ... but at least the delivery is quite fast

Hey,
I personally purchase a lot on Ebay. Mostly UK and Germany. The market in malta is too small for Ebay to have their own site in Malta. It's not enough people and really not profitable and very likely not worth it. I would suggest sticking to the main sites of UK, DE and US when purchasing on Ebay.

However, if you still have a bank account in a foreign country and you link a paypal account to this bank account you won't have a problem.  I have kept all my bank accounts from Germany and Uk and also have a maltese one now too. However, I only use Uk and Germany one's for Ebay, they are linked to 2 separate Paypal accounts. UK one for Ebay.uk and a Germany one for all that is Euro Zone related. You will save on conversion rates doing this. Even though not completely within their guidelines, you can have more than one paypal account. They don't check or enforce that.

Ebay itself doesn't require you to have a bank account in Malta, nor does Paypal. The paypal address needs to be linked to the bank account address. However, you can just set your paypal address to a address in the same country the account is registered in. i.e. Spanish Paypal must be registered to a spanish card with a spanish address. This address however is not relevant for Ebay purchases. You can register your Ebay account in any country. When I purchase on Ebay, I usually point out my maltese address and that they should ignore my overseas address. (I'm not registered in any of the countries any more, and neither are my bank accounts, seems perfectly legit).

One thing to keep in mind though is, that unfortunately not many sellers ship to Malta. In most cases, you'll have to write to them and ask. Some do it, most don't. However, you still have the large Chinese Market where you can order cheap stuff from. Just keep the customs in mind. I haven't had any bad experiences with ordering from China, Hong Kong, etc.

Keep in mind as well, that you always have more to pay for postage here. It's far out and many things are harder to get. Research on the Internet is often worth a lot of money though.

Happy ebaying!
Laura

My wife buys a LOT from ebay (UK/US anyways most sellers are from China) and we don't have a problem.

Now, since you are a Non EU citizen opening a bank account in Malta you will have some issues opening a Bank Account in the beginning but you will manage.... HSBC will probably be the best choice for non-EU at least in my experience.

Sorry everybody but I accidentally missed a couple of the replies some people wrote me on this thread earlier in time and thanks to @Alf007 for adding more information that I managed to receive, then notice the previous comments.

@MATM911 ...

Thanks for the advice about the postage and the other information but my problem is my home bank account ( in the United States ) was closed while abroad with no recourse because I failed to know about it at the time.

Please let me use your Austria one !!!! :P:P

Sorry because I needed to throw a joke in there but yes, I do know you can order things anywhere in the world and just change the post address with the seller, that particular transaction - just not an available option for me.

matm911 wrote:

I still use the same ebay account I created when I was living in Austria (with several ebay domains like .at/.de/.co.uk/.it) and I'm also using my Paypal account. In the personal data of my accounts I only changed the address and for Paypal I also changed the credit card number.

Moneytransfer (Internetbanking) within EU works fine with my maltese and also my austrian bank account without additional costs. Same for the money transfer between my two bank accounts.

Withdrawing money from ATMs ist also possible without extra costs with bot of my debit cards.

Regarding online shopping or banking activities I faced no problems until now (*knock-on-wood).
The only negative aspect is that you have to pay for shipping, even with amazon ... but at least the delivery is quite fast

@MIO ...

I appreciate the advice about asking the sellers if they deliver to Malta before completing a transaction and was curious if you think searching the .IT ( Italy ) domain for Ebay would be a better option ???????

Sorry about the late response BUT THANKS FOR TAKING TIME TO PROVIDE A THOROUGH EXPLANATION.

Please forgive me but I learned something else unrelated while reading your post - the appearance of the England flag, because I usually just see the United Kingdom.

mio wrote:

Hey,
I personally purchase a lot on Ebay. Mostly UK and Germany. The market in malta is too small for Ebay to have their own site in Malta. It's not enough people and really not profitable and very likely not worth it. I would suggest sticking to the main sites of UK, DE and US when purchasing on Ebay.

However, if you still have a bank account in a foreign country and you link a paypal account to this bank account you won't have a problem.  I have kept all my bank accounts from Germany and Uk and also have a maltese one now too. However, I only use Uk and Germany one's for Ebay, they are linked to 2 separate Paypal accounts. UK one for Ebay.uk and a Germany one for all that is Euro Zone related. You will save on conversion rates doing this. Even though not completely within their guidelines, you can have more than one paypal account. They don't check or enforce that.

Ebay itself doesn't require you to have a bank account in Malta, nor does Paypal. The paypal address needs to be linked to the bank account address. However, you can just set your paypal address to a address in the same country the account is registered in. i.e. Spanish Paypal must be registered to a spanish card with a spanish address. This address however is not relevant for Ebay purchases. You can register your Ebay account in any country. When I purchase on Ebay, I usually point out my maltese address and that they should ignore my overseas address. (I'm not registered in any of the countries any more, and neither are my bank accounts, seems perfectly legit).

One thing to keep in mind though is, that unfortunately not many sellers ship to Malta. In most cases, you'll have to write to them and ask. Some do it, most don't. However, you still have the large Chinese Market where you can order cheap stuff from. Just keep the customs in mind. I haven't had any bad experiences with ordering from China, Hong Kong, etc.

Keep in mind as well, that you always have more to pay for postage here. It's far out and many things are harder to get. Research on the Internet is often worth a lot of money though.

Happy ebaying!
Laura

@ALF007 ...

Thanks for reading between the lines and for the advice because I definitely think I need a Malta bank account to avoid future problems.

Alf007 wrote:

My wife buys a LOT from ebay (UK/US anyways most sellers are from China) and we don't have a problem.

Now, since you are a Non EU citizen opening a bank account in Malta you will have some issues opening a Bank Account in the beginning but you will manage.... HSBC will probably be the best choice for non-EU at least in my experience.

Of course you can search any Ebay you like, if you can understand the Italian, even more a plus! Personally, i order lots from China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. Takes usually between 1 and 3 weeks to arrive, but is always deap cheap. Especially small things are good to buy there and postage is often free. Just keep customs in mind, you currently have to pay, if it's more than roughly €22 worth. I also buy at ebay germany, because postage is quite cheap and I speak German. I would probably feel a little helpless on the Italian site, just relying on google translate.
I also think that it might not make the biggest difference, since postage is often international or EU related, and many sellers just never tick international sale. But asking them often helps a lot. Some sellers insist not to sell to Malta though (and they refused to give me an explanation so far), but then it might be a good option, if you know someone in the country there, to have it posted to them and they post it to Malta for you. Whichever way you go, I'm sure with a bit of research there is many things you can get from all over the world cheaper, than in Malta.

As to the bank account. I had no troubles opening one with HSBC online. I filled out the form, even ticked that I had no income and no job, and the very next day they wrote back to me and said I have an account, and I have to go to the branch to verify it with my maltese ID. No hassle at all. But that's not how many people experienced it here.  In my and friend's experience is, that HSBC is the easiest one to get an account. BOV I wouldn't recommend, because they made a swedish friend wait over 3 weeks for referencing with her swedish bank, before giving her an account.

Happy shoppings!!!