Moving to LaCeiba

Coming from Texas and have a lot in La Ceiba Beach Club.  Want to start building as soon as rainy season is over.  We would like to chat with others getting advise and sharing knowledge.    We need a shipping company, the ones I have found online are 8k plus, is that the norm?  Anybody shipped a car or can we buy a decent 4 wheel drive there?  We need someone to cut down trees, bring in fill dirt and install the septic first.    Building crews?  We will be visiting Dec 28 for a couple weeks.  We are building on a very limited budget as cash has to be used for everything.  Speaking  of, what banks seem to be the easiest to work with and money transfers?  Thanks for any suggestions and help.  We will do so too as we become more experienced in this great adventure!

Hey Linda, hope all is well with you guys! After talking to a few people down here that have had some issues shipping anything, especially cars, I highly recommend just driving your car to Honduras if you can. If its new enough, thatŽs their big thing here...no older than 10 years old. Its cheaper than shipping and flying, and makes for a great adventure! My dad and I made the drive 4 months ago from Abilene and had a decent enough time and no real problems the whole way... 4x4Žs here are anywhere from 4k to 10k for a decent one, and like 40k for a new Toyata Hilux which is a popular choice around here.

Since IŽve been here IŽve met many local contractors and donŽt think it will be an issue to get someone over there to start working on clearing and backfilling the property before yall arrive in Dec. Right now we have a private contractor working on an additional carport/balcony. They are about a week into it and currently have the support structure framed and almost ready to pour. If your interested, I can send some pictures of the construction so you can see if his work might be something yall are interested in.

When it comes to banks...phew...fun times. Depending on where you go it could be difficult setting up new accounts. Banco Lafise seems to be the easiest. Some other expats Ive talked to use HSBC, Banco Occidente, or Banco Atlantida. Once you get one of those set up, simply do a wire transfer from your account in the US to your account here, but watch out for fees. Some of the other expats here on the blog could advise you more specifically on fees. The other option is using an ATM to draw money off your account in TX, which is what my dad does right now.

Let me know if you would like to see some construction pics :) Take care of yourselves and we look forward to seeing yall out here soon!

Thanks for all the info Pat, appreciate your input.  Would like to see the pictures too.  So many decisions and things to do, I am in a whirlwind!

I know thats right! Youll be alright though :), if there is anything I can do to help dont hesitate to ask!
Pictures are on the way...

Lnathern wrote:

Coming from Texas and have a lot in La Ceiba Beach Club.  Want to start building as soon as rainy season is over.  We would like to chat with others getting advise and sharing knowledge.    We need a shipping company, the ones I have found online are 8k plus, is that the norm?  Anybody shipped a car or can we buy a decent 4 wheel drive there?  We need someone to cut down trees, bring in fill dirt and install the septic first.    Building crews?  We will be visiting Dec 28 for a couple weeks.  We are building on a very limited budget as cash has to be used for everything.  Speaking  of, what banks seem to be the easiest to work with and money transfers?  Thanks for any suggestions and help.  We will do so too as we become more experienced in this great adventure!

As you know LCBC can assist you on your land clearing, lot elevation and of course building. Since you purchased outside of the sales listings, LCBC can give you a build cost on any layout you provide. Or can help you bring your dreams through to reality/budget. There's no sense of starting from scratch trying to piece together, tree guys, sub contractors, contractors, engineer, government permits etc. All included....here

There's more than meets the eye here. It's not just an island time thing

Cheers Chris Barrett

Thanks Chris.  Things are moving very slow here in TX so we aren't making any decisions yet.  Will probably just be doing some research when we come down in January.