Brazilians' love affair with cars

If Henry Ford had been born in Brazil instead of the USA then his now famous quote about the Model T would be very different...

"You can get it in any color as long as it's SILVER"

You don't have to be in Brazil too long before you discover the Brazilian preference for silver cars. They sell more automobiles in shades of silver than any other color, and Brazilians buy way more silver cars than any other nation worldwide.

DuPont puts out an annual list of the top ten colors by volume of sales and worldwide silver is the favorite with annual sales of 25%  being silver. They also report that the figure in Brazil is 31% almost every third car you see. I used to like the color until I came to Brazil almost eleven years ago, now I detest it because it's all you see. Guess I'm suffering from sensory overload, silver shock, or something like that. Boring, boring, boring... give me any other color in the spectrum, but forget silver please.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

Absolutely 100% correct my wife just ordered a new car 3 months ago will be for the salon (I did not realize it took so long to get ordered as having lived in the US)but the color she ordered a shade of silver.....

Yeah John, she probably could have gotten the same car tomorrow if she wanted green or blue, those are always hanging around in stock. LOL

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

My husband (Brazilian) also obsessed with silver cars. Swears we wont sell it used if it is another color.

On a more feminine note, I find it also funny that in my family in law, every woman wears the same watch and are proud of it.

We get so proud to have a different varieties in Canada, jewelry, car colors, etc.

Hi Emilie,

While used cars come in all colors and they all end up being sold your husband is right about one point, it will probably be easier to re-sell a silver car here in Brazil because it is the preferred color. This becomes really important if you are selling it privately and not just trading it in for a newer car.

Same watch? Wow, is it a Cartier? LOL

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team.

Not even ;)

Go figure! Well I sure hope it's not a Timex. hehehehe

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I think it is...actually we bought a Timex downtown Montreal last year for a family member, and the saler said they were sold out...just before she asked if we were Brazilian (as they almost only sold this exact model to Brazilians). Very funny!
Seems like when one thing is fashion here, everybody gets on board!!

I know her previous car was silver and it sold really fast like posted one day sold the next...Fiat"s Are real big here as well as Volkswagons ..but I was suprised that Chevy's rank up there as one of the better cars...