TESOL

I'm coming to VN next year and I've just signed up for a TESOL program at a university here in the US. The program consists of six courses that are six weeks each. In addition, there are extra courses available to add on to the certificate.

I'm wondering if this is overkill - being that a TESOL cert can be had in much less time.

Will the extra hours, a transcript of courses, and the fact that the cert is from a university add value?

I'd be interested in knowing what else your course is covering. Most of the teaching certs are 4 week courses.
I'm guessing it gives you more than just a TESOL ? And out of interest how much is it?
I'd say if you have never taught before it's probably overkill.
TESOL + degree is what people here want. You can get by without the degree but it's certainly a lot tougher.

Which university, UCLA?

The cert is through Auburn University at Montgomery; the cost is $945. I figured I would go down to Little Saigon and volunteer teach for 6 months as well.

The program has two tracks - K-12 or Adult; I chose the adult track because I figured it would fit better with my business related degree and IT background.

The program doesn't start for two weeks, so I can still escape with a refund if need be.

Any suggestions or advice?

yttocs wrote:

The cert is through Auburn University at Montgomery; the cost is $945. I figured I would go down to Little Saigon and volunteer teach for 6 months as well.

The program has two tracks - K-12 or Adult; I chose the adult track because I figured it would fit better with my business related degree and IT background.

The program doesn't start for two weeks, so I can still escape with a refund if need be.

Any suggestions or advice?

Get a refund!  That's an online certificate, which does not have a classroom component/practicum.  The online certificate can get you a job (maybe), but most schools want to see that you've taught and been evaluated. 

My advice is to enroll in the program Peter Gouge oversees at his school.

I contacted the TEFL Institute last week and asked them what their HCMC street address was. They responded back with a non responsive sales pitch, so I disregarded the program.

I will contact them again; four weeks in VN does sound more practical.

So the Vnese schools want to see a classroom component on the transcript? I thought it would suffice to get some teaching experience in concert with the cert.

I'm sending you the contact information for Nina, the manager of TI, in HCMC. 

They do have a serious problem at the main office and there's plans to give the regions their own websites, etc.  How do I know this?  Because I've come to know most of their trainers over the years. 

I really wish I had chosen them over Apollo and the CELTA.  We have spoken in great detail about the HCMC program and I believe they're much more organized and have a clear and concise training program.  The CELTA at Apollo was an absolute mess.

Many of the schools will turn their nose up at an online TESOL.  There are one's that won't, but you need a significant amount of experience.  If you choose that route you may as well get a Bridge TEFL/TESOL, or one of the others, that cost far less.

I received your PM. Thank you for the assistance.

Hi Yttocs

I only came across this thread this afternoon. What did you decide to do regarding a TESOL course?

Peter Goudge

Hi Peter,

I ended up getting a refund. I'm still deciding; maybe I'll just wait until I get to VN to take a course, but I was hoping to secure some work before I left the US.

If you have the option of doing the CELTA do it. I found it fantastic (did it in Dublin, not Nam) but it is a great foundation.

I know a good few who have done TESOL and TEFL etc and it seems to be quite lacking, but that's just personal opinion based on what I've come across.

Either way make sure you get real classroom experience while doing, preferably 6 or more hours. Makes getting a job a good bit easier.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum pls]

I wouldn't take the easy route and get an online TESOL. I would get a quality one that includes classroom hours and observations. It will make a difference in finding a job. The TESOL program needs to be comprehensive and at the same standards of a CELTA.

Hi Red

I agree with you completely.

Peter Goudge