Committed :)

Bought my ticket.

Now, please, I need two things: 

1)  Where to go when I arrive.  It will be a grueling trip (half-way around the world).  I will be dead tired when I arrive.  I need a place, not expensive, preferably with a private room and bath/shower.  Safe from theft and ideally capable of locking my valuables up in a safe (or whatever).

2)  What should I bring?  I could bring my laptop.  I don't want to.  It will weigh me down as a I plan to move around inside Cambodia in the month I will be there.  Are the computers in the "internet cafes" usable by foreigners?  English on the screen and keyboard?

Any help appreciated?

Hi TheDigitalMage,

Have you take a look already to our housing phnom penh section? Under the section "rent".

You might want to check this previous post, it might answer some of your questions.

Keep us updated about your exciting trip!

Melissa

What I need right now is a hotel/motel to go into, right when i get off the airplane.  I will stay there a few days then find something else.  My immediate need is a "place to land."?

hi..
u land in phnom penh, take a tuk tuk , check in at a motel,there are like zillions of them , might not offer you any safe ..safest place ever would be for you to keep your stuff at someone's home cz honestly if they get stolen u'll never gonna get them back. police cant do much ( talking from my own experience )
u dont really need your laptop.. u can do well without it, internet cafe u'll find everywhere and very usable for foreigners

[Modeated: Rude and off topic]

I've stayed at the Morakot and Salita.  Salita is a bit nicer.  They're central and close to the airport.  Peak season prob runs around $20-30/night.

TheDigitalMage wrote:

Bought my ticket.

Now, please, I need two things: 

1)  Where to go when I arrive.  It will be a grueling trip (half-way around the world).  I will be dead tired when I arrive.  I need a place, not expensive, preferably with a private room and bath/shower.  Safe from theft and ideally capable of locking my valuables up in a safe (or whatever).

2)  What should I bring?  I could bring my laptop.  I don't want to.  It will weigh me down as a I plan to move around inside Cambodia in the month I will be there.  Are the computers in the "internet cafes" usable by foreigners?  English on the screen and keyboard?

Any help appreciated?

1. I am unsure of your budget, you could try the Angkor International Hotel on street 148 or The Walkabout Hotel on Street 51, both $15-25 per night.
The Royal Guest house on street 154 has lockers and rooms go from $7-18 per night, you need your own padlock or rent one.

2. The internet cafes are good, all in English, keyboards and screen in English and usable by all.

Most guest houses have WiFi and some even internet with computers within in the lobby.

The English language here is pretty much all over in the tourist areas.

thank you for your reply, pps :)

i will arrive on the 8th.  have a hotel for a couple days.  we'll see where it goes from there.

TheDigitalMage wrote:

thank you for your reply, pps :)

i will arrive on the 8th.  have a hotel for a couple days.  we'll see where it goes from there.

You might want to go to the Garage bar on street 110, lots of Americans go there and English teachers, it may be good for you as you are interested in teaching, good to ask questions and make some contacts.

i will come.  would like to meet you, as well.  i'll be the extra-large guy, with the shaved head :)

thanks for your help, man.  i'm sure gonna need all i can get!