Questions regarding Rented Flats (charges, and insurance)

Hi.

May someone please give me the rates for electricity and water in Malta (price per kW, and the price for 1 cubic meter of water (at normal rates)) ?

What would be the residential rates by the way (even if I don't think I will manage to get them...).

Second question : what about the insurance when you rent a flat ?
Is the landlord supposed to take an insurance for his flat, and special issues which could occur (water damages, fire, ...) ?

Furthermore, what about insurance for the personal goods ?
How are they supposed to be insured ?

Thanks !

electricity
http://www.enemalta.com.mt/index.aspx?c … t=5&art1=9
water
http://www.wsc.com.mt/content/information

" what about the insurance when you rent a flat ?" - depends on lease
"what about insurance for the personal goods?" your responsibility normally

bloomin heck GnG agreeing again......going to the quack in the morning!!!!!!

Hi.

I have two new questions popping-up.

- I saw someone checking the meters some weeks ago, and I got a "consumer information" paper from ARMS in my letterbox on the same day, with the readings for that date.
Does it mean that my landlord has received the "bi-annual" invoice from ARMS, and that he should be able to present it to me ?

- I heard that the new government has decided that the invoices for utilities will now be issued every 2 months, is that true ? Do you know more about it ?

Thanks.

q1 ..no no necessarily
q2 .. the gov have been mandated to do so for the last 2-3 yrs and have failed to do so - dont hold your breath

Hi.

I have some more questions about ARMS and charges rates :

Looking at this page
http://www.wsc.com.mt/content/information
what does the ≤33 and >33 mean ?
Is it a range for the yearly water consumption ?

Regarding electricity and this page
http://www.enemalta.com.mt/index.aspx?c … t=5&art1=9
About the Residential Service Charges (180€ for Triple Phase), is it something charged to the tenant ? Is it a yearly fee ?

As I will ask my landlord for a regularization after 6 months because I don't want to wait more (I pay 100€ in advance every month), and as he don't have any bill to show me yet (of course...), I want to be sure to pay the right price - even if it will sadly be the Residential rate instead of Domestic, I know.

So could someone can help me ?

Water (about 25 m3 yearly) : should I pay 2.30 or 5.41 per m3 ?
Electricity (about 4000 kw yearly) : should I pay 0.173 per kw ? (I should be on Band 2 rate according to the second link, if I have well understood how it works).

Should it be more because of the services charges ?

My landlord was giving me rates of 5.41 (for water) and 0.238 (for electricity) when I entered the flat.
The second rate seems to come from nowhere. Is it because service charges would be included ?

I know that I could also use that link
https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/p … Calculator
but it seems to give me a higher amount than when I calculate manually.

So... Help please ! :)
Thanks a lot !

usually if you are eligible for the lower rates then each person is allowed (33000L) 33cubic meters of water at the lower rate of 1.48 per cubic meter (1000L) after that it rises to a higher rate

service charge for 3 phase - the tenant/user pays this on a daily basis as part of the bill - single phase is one third of this charge payable on the same basis

NOTE Domestic is the higher rate  - RESIDENTIAL is the lower rate

toonarmy9752 wrote:

usually if you are eligible for the lower rates then each person is allowed (33000L) 33cubic meters of water at the lower rate of 1.48 per cubic meter (1000L) after that it rises to a higher rate

Ok, then it should be 2.30 in my case as I am not "registered" as a tenant for the flat...

Any clue for the electricity ? :)

the rates you quote would appear to be DOMESTIC RATES... and as such you will need to refer to the domestic tariff onthe pages mentioned in the links. usually two rates apply for water when on domestic depending on usage 2.38 for the first 33000L then after that 5.41 but many landlords may charge more...sometimes its a scam for the unwary. JUST MAKE SURE YOU SEE THE ACTUAL 2 PAGES BILL AND NOT A HAND WRITTEN OR TYPED UP ONE. AS THE ACTUAL BILL HAS THE BREAKDOWN OF UNITS ON THE 2ND PAGE SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BOTH PAGES NOT JUST THE FRONT ONE.

as for electricity - similar things apply - its all based on consumption the more you use the more you pay

Registered as a tenant - more like not registered as a consumer with ARMs - be sure to write and emial ARMs as to who is actually paying the bills i.e YOU - its important

Cumulative Consumption
as at 01 January 2010
Band 1
0 - 2,000 units you will pay 0.210 per unit
Band 2
2,001 - 6,000 units you will pay 0.223 per unit

thus the first 2000 units you will pay 0.21 per unit and thereafter  0.223 per unit

I know about the bill that should be a proper one, but thing is I will actually not wait for it. It takes too long and I want the regularization from my landlord now.

These ARMS pages and rates should be helpful enough to pay the "right" price then, but I still have a question (even for when the bill is supposed to be presented) :

As a tenant, do we only pay for "consumption", or also the "service charges" ?
(service charges that we can see for example on the "Bill Calculation Results" column when simulating a bill with the online bill calculator I gave the link above)

you pay service charges as well

SERVICE CHARGES ARE CHARGEABLE AND THUS PAYABLE - its the only thing on an estimated bill that ARMs can actually demand payment for as its a fixed amount annually but charged daily.