ANYONE?? looking for friends in Amman

im moving to amman in december. my mom's taking me with her so i have no choice. im really hoping to make friends or else i dont think ill last (after reading some of the negative posts here that is) anyway, let me know? im 21 btw so yeah. :)

Ahlan wa sahlan...

I don't wish to terrify you.. but being Asian and a Filipino... hmmm.. you'll soon find out..

Where do you live?

No more worrie being Asian or Pinays......those for close minded only,i have found cool friends to hang out with and to share with,,no more Differences,,moreover if you join Fastwalk,,,,,anyway,welcome to Jordan and just dont care to those who has negative th8 (used to feel the same tho) but bye,bye,pain :)

You are welcome dmgp to Amman , dont worry most ppl here in jordan are friendly. and it would be really nice to meet you here in Amman :)

thanks you guys. yeah the first reply here did scare me a little bit. good to see the light. looking forward!

Reality bites...

@umm jacoub ,,,, maybe you have point if view but you scared the girl; I dont think its that si bad or we wont see all this cool Asian ppl here , they live and enjoy life over here ,and yes as all countris all over earth you will find good and bad things.
@dmgp ,,, your welcome; be sure you would find many kind and cool ppl , dont wory but you need time to get used on life here,my best wishs for you.
@Kate,how are you?long time not hear from you!!!! where is my "bla'bla"?

@ Maxmillean,

Not trying to scare.. but it's a fact...If you read Kate29 post"Alienated"... then you can understand why she posted it in the first place. I've been in Amman for 6 years now... and through observation..the negative perception towards Filipino and Indonesians hasn't change much... just like the way the Jordanians look down on Egyptians. 

Sometimes I was asked... what is the difference between Singaporean (me) , Filipino and Indonesian... well all I have to say... are Jordanians, Iraqis and Iranians ..the same?? Taba3an La2! 

Furthermore I stay near the 3rd Circle.. many Filipinos there and from what I gathered from The Filipino women who rented the apartment nearby... they do get strange stares from even taxi drivers.. that is, negative perception towards Filipino ladies... why? I need not elaborate on this.

And let us not be naive, yes bad and good people are everywhere. My one and only intention is... just be prepared..it's not all rosy in life.

Hey Lord........yeah been longtime,,and yeah there is invitation from one of my friend for Bala-bala party,wanna come ???? Call u later :)

i think i know what you mean jacoub. but it's all fine. i haven't been discrimated or anything like that my entire life. and some say i dont look filipino so i guess that'll help? haha idk. and i was born in abu dhabi too! we'll see. ill update you in 2 months eh? :)

and lordmaxmillean, thanks! i appreciate it. im sure i'll meet cool people there. im counting on it! :)

It doesnt matter being look alike Filipino or others,,i dont even look alike indonesian they th8 im Pinay,but so what anyway ? i met many cool peoples from Expat.com and its really great to know them in person :) no worry girls u will found many interesting peoples once u gt here,wish you luck

@ dmgp
you welcome :-)

Welcome To Jordan

welcome to Jordan,you will enjoy your stay here :)

umm jacoub... please do not generalize Asians and Filipinos as what you think.  I am Filipina/Syrian and I know what you mean, but I am sure you are a muslim mother who fears God.  So change your perception and you will see a lot of good and educated pinoys around.  Remember even our fingers are not the same....

@ baniaz

what 'umm jacoub' says is true.. nothing wrong in her views.. and that is the truth. she talks about the majority of the community and not the minority. and minority is very few.. secondly, whenever we are talking on the forum we are talking of 100% there are exceptions in every thing. so, we need to accept the same. that is all. still want confirmation, just stand in 'down town' on a friday morning 9.00 AM to 5.00 P.M you will change your perception..!

@livekrish... i didn't say what umm jacoub said is not true, i said do not GENERALIZE, it means not all.  The problem is we have different cultures, i am not a kind of person who judge what is right or wrong.  We live and grow-up and different countries, say in our country we are somewhat liberated but not all also.  In Arab countries, don't tell me you don't know.... that there are also some women doing the wrong thing but they are not open like the asians... arabs are good in keeping secrets.

baniaz wrote:

@livekrish... i didn't say what umm jacoub said is not true, i said do not GENERALIZE, it means not all.  The problem is we have different cultures, i am not a kind of person who judge what is right or wrong.  We live and grow-up and different countries, say in our country we are somewhat liberated but not all also.  In Arab countries, don't tell me you don't know.... that there are also some women doing the wrong thing but they are not open like the asians... arabs are good in keeping secrets.

i can accept your last line!

arabs are good in keeping secrets

that is the truth!.. rest all common.. because i lived in middle east 11 years and i know the behaviors of kuwait,UAE, jordan and etc.. as you said, rightly, there is combined effort of education and level of working. that counts in behavior. so, rest you can make up from the above!.. some time it is compulsion some it is need and some time it is frustration. People living - leaving behind the family and friends - will be under immense mental agony and it needs ventilation some times. so, she did not generalise at all, but we cannot absolutely say.
nobody is here to judge things.. but to understand certain things, we need to understand the behavioral pattern.. that will help to understand things from its perspective.

@livekrish...now we are talking!  Good to hear your point, honestly it makes me feel sad if people criticize asians that way. Because we do not know their reasons so I hope we change our perception a little bit.  Understand rather than criticize and pity rather than condemn them. I remember this "People do stupid things in a foreign land".  But still it depends on the individual's up-bringing, culture and education.
Thank you... it's nice to talk to broad minded people :)

there is another point to make.. As asians, very few in numbers, make mistake, it is known.. For example, if one woman/man makes a mistake or adultery, he will give the contact information and it spreads like that. so, her/his name is spoiled. I do not want to justify the mistakes. but the privacy is not adhered!. you know why - it is the generalised mindset.. whenever called she/he will turn up..! this summaries the general view! individual case may differ!

@livekrish..yes you are right ;(

thank you for the understanding in its perspective.. good luck to you....god bless you

@ Baniaz... please point out where did I make a generalization towards Filipinos / Asians. It frustrates me when people categorises me as one of those women simply because I am Asian.

Never in my life, I've been made aware of the colour of my skin as I have here. All due to the negative perception that the Arabs have towards a certain group of Asians which has an adverse effect of other good Asians. I can spout vile things to say about it, but I choose not to as there are times I've encountered good deeds from good people and it's not fair to trash the country where these few good people belongs but for the bad apples, this is their life. By the way, I am a mixed too Baniaz.

Salam umm jacoub...this is the main reason why i seldom comment in any threads/forums.  i only replied here first time coz I am originally asian and it really hurts to see such annoying comments about the Asians. As i still remember my history class, Philippines just pop-up, and origins are from Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia Malaysia.  We came from same roots. 

Anyhow the only concern is "why do we need to point out the bad things? can't we have a conversation without pointing out the general perception as insist by some?"

If we do not want to generalized then we do not need to mention it at all.

God bless us all.

umm Zain Eddin

I commented simply because I want to give a true picture of what it is like in Jordan per say. Take it with a pinch of salt. Many would expect grass to be greener on the other side but most of the time that's not true. On top of that, we are educated people and let us not be naive, emotional what more judgemental.

nice comment umm jacoub...hope that everybody would understand the words clearly well.
For me really i don't mind if others think that way, besides we are the only one accountable to what we think, say, and do.

Salam to everybody.

Common all lets close this Topic :) after all we are "one" here
lets put aside the differences and embrace togethernes,i used to think bad too about the comment regarding asians,but then why would i think bout what they say or think ???? as long as i didnt ask them to pay my rent etc,its their problem if they think so...:))

Hello,

Just to remind that this topic is on "looking for friends in Amman". Thank you.

Yeah @ Christine - the search is on!!!!!!! lol!

i can see the thread had been a little intense. haha and thanks christine for the reminder. so whoever's willing and open-minded (im sure y'all are) id appreciate the pointers. :D

you are always most welcome, don't worry :)