Documents for foreigners flying domestically in VN

Can foreigners (I'm a US citizen) fly domestically within VN without their original passport? I'd like to fly next week but it looks like my passport is going to be tied up with some paperwork that I'm in the middle of. Can I fly using a VN driver's license, my US driver's license, or a copy (notarized?) of my US passport? Thanks.

Hi

You can use your VN driver's licence. The US driver's licence or the notarised copy of the passport is not acceptable.

Tam

I have commonly all travel papers papers with me. When checking in (domestic flight) they always did choose the driving licence (Vietnamese), without looking in any others. Same is for Hotels.

Why not ask the people who will decide - the airline?

I travel once or twice a week between TP HMC and Buon Ma Thuot and never carry my passport, visa or Permit. Usually only a restricted area permit and drivers licence/ownership.

The airlines all operate under the same rules, but each air carrier interprets them their way.

Whenever I lose possession of my documents for modification/renewal I always make photocopies. Once I had forgotten them but my wife was with me so they used her ID card on the police computer system, traced me as her husband and they gave me an OK with the airline.

Vietnam Airlines is the worst for formalities.

True on the Vietnam Airlines being sticklers. I recently had a similar situation and they INSISTED that i produce my original Canadian passport in order to check in. Luckily I had checked with them ahead of time to see if something else would suffice, but such was not the case.