Life in the Kwanda base

Hi my name is John and i am a 46 year old male moving to Soyo with work,I will be staying in the Kwanda base and was wondering what sort of recreational facilities are on the base and also if any social gatherings or clubs take place.
I would also like to know if it is safe to go outside the base after work which will be after 18-00hrs.

Thanks in advance

John

Hi John!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

Hi Armand

Thank you very much for the welcome.

John

Life in Kwanda Base is relatively good. I would not recommend going out at night to Soyo, unless you have a car and driver. There are Super Markets or shops in Soyo but most goods on sale are of very basic quality. Hopefully, if you live on Kwanda Base, meals will be provided at the Kwanda Base canteen. On Kwanda Base, you have two tennis courts, a squash court, basket ball court, soccer court and a racket ball facilty. There's nothing else as far as recreation is concern. You do have the hotel and a bar on base.

Robin thanks for the reply, could you possibly answer the following questions.

what is the food like on the Base?
is there a gym on site?
what sort of price is a beer in the bars?

Thanks

John

John,Breakfast is good, dinner is alright, lunch not the best but you wouldn't go hungry. If you buy beer on base, there's a ticket system. A book of tickets cost US$120.00, each book has   100 tickets. Imported beer cost $1.25. The local beer(not bad)is cheaper. There is no gym on KB. Food and beverages are available at the hotel on KB but a little bit more expensive. Wine, mostly Portuguese, is about $10 a bottle.  Hard liquor is also available to be purchased.

Robin thanks for the info,not expensive at all and yes i will always find something to eat.

John

hi john, i read all your  topics abt kwanda,i would like to ask if how did you get to there for work? because i also would like to apply as an IT in your company..i hope to hear from you.tnx

Hi nytshade15,

Please note that this topic might no more be active as the topic is quite old.

Regards,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Hi David,

Thanks for the Info.

Richard